Wave of Darkness

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Hack'n RPG for PC: crafting system, spell generator, sacrifices, gods, exploration and endless slashing and looting.

Wave of Darkness invites you to a huge dark and gritty fantasy world which can be explored the way you want and whenever you want. Tired of killing monsters and solving quests on the east? You can go north and explore the region of Klesabia, Macabon or Ealonia, slay northern monsters ... generally do whatever you desire.

Wave of Darkness is not your average casual action RPG. It is tailored for fans of hardcore old-school RPG titles, offering massive dark and gritty fantasy world which will challenge you at every step. The world of Narr is corrupted by the Dark Magic, and you will have to do your best to free land from this malicious deviance.

While most RPG titles offer very limited area for you to explore, restricting it by invisible walls, or simply with various design solutions, Wave of Darkness enables you to wander everywhere, and whenever you wish to do so. Of course, you can follow the strict path of the plot, and complete quests until you finish the game, or you can explore every bit and corner of Narr, meet various NPCs, complete side quests for them, and fight dangerous monsters. WOD offers 70+ hours of gameplay.

So you decided to start the game by creating a sword wielding character, but after a while you realize swords aren't really your thing. Wave of Darkness enables you to combine and experiment different character classes, which means you can have a powerful melee/ranged or ranged/magic character, even if you made a mistake by choosing a character class that doesn't fit your RPG affinities, without the need to start the game all over again. WoD enables you to combine, explore and experiment with character classes however you want, without limitations. But it's still recommended to keep in mind the basics of RPG, so try to create solid and meaningful characters because the game will definitely challenge you.

More information.

I've started playing this last night. This feels exactly like Legends of Dawn, after all the patching. If that is a good thing to you, then you'll feel right at home. There have been a few gameplay changes and I'll talk about those.

Inventory: You now have the opportunity to purchase bags. At the beginning of the game, you have a total of 14 slots in your inventory. The local merchant, right next to the starting location, has several bags for sale. There are about 20 different types of bags. If you buy a duplicate of the same type, it will just increase the slots of that bag.
Therefore, it is good to find a cheap bag and buy tons of slots for it as soon as possible.
Why? There are dozens of locking runes,hundreds of crafting supplies, oodles of recipes. You'll want to have one or two bags dedicated to each of these these supplies. The bags that carry armor, weapons, potions, etc., can have less slots as you won't carry as many.

Special chests: There are special chests on most maps now that use a chime sequence to open. These chests typically have a magic item or two and are a little larger than your normal chest.

Locks: Besides the runes, you can now open several doors, chests, cabinets, etc. with plain old keys. Sometimes, even though you don't have the right runes, you may have the right key. Unlike runes, keys are not reusable. You think it'd be the other way around, but that's a quibble.

Crafting: It is even more of a focus this time around, though still totally unnecessary. I've found more crafting recipes and ingredients than all other items combined. However, your starting equipment is much better than anything you'll be able to put together for a long time. This is a good thing. Why? You are the same person that finished Legends of Dawn. It makes sense that you would have been wearing good equipment when you finished that game, so you have decent stuff at the beginning.

If I was giving advice to Dreamatrix, I'd suggest being able to bind an item type to a certain type of bag. For instance, I put a crafting rune on the bag in slot one and it can only hold crafting items from then on. There are map icons for most of the various treasure types, so those could be reused.

Oops, forgot to mention this earlier. The music is kinda nice and that's not something I normally notice much.

Should you play this? Well, if you like single-character crpgs, this is pretty decent. There are some quirks, but overall Dreamatrix learned a lot from the mistakes of Legends and have put those lessons to good use in the sequel. If you hated Legends for reasons outside of bugginess, then this isn't for you. If you like Geneforge or Eschalon, go pick this up. It seems pretty stable in early access and Iggy has been a presence on the boards for a long time. Go give him some money :)

Legends of Dawn was completely broken when it came out and was rightfully panned by everyone who played it. To give Dreamatrix credit, they patched and patched it even up till now and it is a decent game nowadays. You can also get it dirt cheap. Wave of Darkness is basically Legends part 2, with all the patches and a new landmass.

I can't really judge for you if it is worth buying, but I think it's worth the low price they ask. I think even the new game is like $20 or something. I think it took guts to hang in there and take all the abuse and not just hang it up. I really don't think these guys are getting rich off of these. Breaking even might be a dream, but whadda I know ;)

Last edited:
If this is the release date then stay away!!!!

This game would need another year or more to be playable.

Back
Top Bottom