M&M: Heroes VII - Review @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Watcher henriquejr spotted this review for Might & Magic Heroes VII on IGN:

Might & Magic Heroes 7 Review

It’s not hard to draw parallels between Might and Magic Heroes 7’s protagonist, Ivan Griffin, and its developer, Limbic Entertainment. Much like Griffin, the studio has inherited a domain and wants to play it safe by not discarding traditions or ruining the most well-regarded features. The result is a strange roleplaying-strategy experience that's at once nostalgically enjoyable and somehow unfulfilling. As promised, the spirit of the glory days of the Heroes of Might and Magic series reveals itself here, but it lacks both personality and polish even as the strategic elements provide decent challenges.

To its credit, MMH7 generally gets the broad strokes right. True to the series, this is a turn-based game about sending heroes out to explore a world shrouded in a fog of war, where they find resources, allies, and foes hidden throughout. Finding one of the latter means jumping into strategic battles that superficially resemble Holochess from Star Wars, and where your named heroes dish out damage and protect their minions for the sidelines. That's all here, and there's virtually nothing here that hasn't been seen before aside from a welcome addition in the ability to deal additional damage to enemies by flanking them with multiple soldiers. Caravans also make a comeback in MMH7 (after a disappointing absence in MMH6), allowing the hire and placement of new units in town without the need for them to travel with the hero, keeping the pace of exploration steadily entertaining.

[...]

The Verdict

There's very little that's new about Might and Magic Heroes 7, and that's a good thing when it comes to its classic-style tactical roleplaying exploration and combat and menus that make managing resources easy to understand and let heroes explore at a rewarding pace without frequent backtracking. It manages to scratch a very old PC gaming itch, at least between the awful cutscenes and performance problems.

Score: 6.4/10

Okay - M&M Heroes 7 is a loyal but buggy sequel that manages to scratch a very old PC gaming itch.

Good:
  • Classic M&M gameplay
  • Intuitive 2D town maps
  • Good game modes
Bad:
  • Camera bugs
  • Weird, stiff cutscenes
More information.

did this get lower grades than KB ? cause KB is trash

A patch here and there and it will be all good.
Looking forward to play it after a month or two.

Coming from someone that was heavily influenced by the Heroes games, but hasn't played one since Heroes 4, which of the more recent titles would you guys suggest I play? What one is the best?

did this get lower grades than KB ? cause KB is trash

Nonsense. It's also quite vident Ubisoft is just peddling Heroes to the lowest bidder willing to make them.

Coming from someone that was heavily influenced by the Heroes games, but hasn't played one since Heroes 4, which of the more recent titles would you guys suggest I play? What one is the best?

From a gameplay standpoint, I'd say Heroes 5 was pretty good. It was much better than Heroes 6, and IMO better than Heroes 4. I haven't played 7 though.

Five was definitely the best (in my opinion) since Heroes 3. Heroes 6 had a definite decline in gameplay, graphics, story, and characters in my opinion. Heroes 7 looks better than 6, but it just looks like a lot of the same as well so I'll wait til it's on sale.

If you are asking for a recommendation for fantasy-themed TBS from someone who has played them all, you may wish to prefer Eador over Heroes. Eador including New Horizons is superior to any title of the Heroes series, as far as quality of the AI and richeness of content is concerned :biggrin:.

http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?p=253277#253277

Of course, highly subjective opinion ;)

5 and 6 were both awesome, so just play them in order.

Thanks for the suggestions and insight into other titles, I'll mull through my options after work

5 is much better than 4. 4 is the worst one I've played and I've played the first 5. I heard that 6 sucks so I didn't try it. Was thinking about 7, but maybe only when it's on sale.

I was playing Heroes of Might and magic five a few days ago, and quit because it was just too easy. Now, I'll say I only played like the first 6 or 7 maps, but I was playing on the hardest option, and I was basically face rolling whatever opposition dared to face me. Most times I wasn't even losing a single trooper.

5 is much better than 4. 4 is the worst one I've played and I've played the first 5. I heard that 6 sucks so I didn't try it. Was thinking about 7, but maybe only when it's on sale.

Strange people lurk these forums. 4 is as good as 3. Different but with the best RPG immersion of the lot with the in battle heroes and the best fights. Too bad they rushed it as their money ran low. With decent addons and with splendid community maps and scenarios. Nothing good after 4 is what I would say. And nothing good followed, including 7. And most probably we can consider the series dead. I mean Ubisoft will never do it right as they dont have the wills and the skills. Not to say there is 0 fun to be had, but nothing can compare with the first 4 games.

Strange people lurk these forums. 4 is as good as 3. Different but with the best RPG immersion of the lot with the in battle heroes and the best fights. Too bad they rushed it as their money ran low. With decent addons and with splendid community maps and scenarios. Nothing good after 4 is what I would say. And nothing good followed, including 7. And most probably we can consider the series dead. I mean Ubisoft will never do it right as they dont have the wills and the skills. Not to say there is 0 fun to be had, but nothing can compare with the first 4 games.

4 as good as 3? are we talking about Fallout?
3 is generally considered the best of the series, and 4 is generally considered the worst of the series.

Neither.... WoG is still the king of Turn based strategy.

4 as good as 3? are we talking about Fallout?
3 is generally considered the best of the series, and 4 is generally considered the worst of the series.

HoMM 4 is a fairly good game on its own

and yes 3 is , by far, the best one

I really disliked 4. The balance was way off, there was way too much text and the heroless units running around were annoying. I did like the classes and skill system though. HMM6 has beautiful graphics, probably the best "story" of the new games, and a skill system with lots of freedom which lets you try out things if you purposefully optimize. The maps are terribly linear in the campaign though and the skilless system utterly fails in multiplayer, because optimized heroes almost always look the same. HMM6 was also incomplete when it came out because of Ubisoft's conflict with developer Blackhole, though the gold edition fixes many of the initial problems.

Back
Top Bottom