Fallout 3 - Broken Steel Review @ NMA

Not really the same situation though. Dragon Age is not constantly bashed the way FO3 is in some circles. I would say that certain aspects of DA are criticized, while FO3 seems to be frowned upon as a whole by many people.

I am not sure I completely agree - as most people seem to say that FO3 is a fun shooter romp, but criticize most of the key elements, and reading much of the latest DA threads there is definitely a multi-faceted disappointment element to those as well.

I don't think Dragon Age has faced anywhere near the same amount of negative criticism that FO3 did. Some disappointment perhaps, but not the flat out negativity that was so prevalent with FO3 in certain places.

Well, this corner of the internet has called (itself) glittering gems of hatred for a reason... FO is unique in terms of the fanbase that gathered around it. Were you on the Bethesda forums when they announced they would be doing FO3? Man...
While the emotional level FO3 discussions can reach may be puzzling, it is still clear that FO3 is indeed a huge break with FO1 and 2 regarding mechanics, style, and writing. On the other hand I think the fallout series has seen worse (BOS), and FO3 is one of the better games in Bethesdas own tradition, imho - distinctly better than Oblivion and only slightly worse than Morrowind in my perception. But the people that really publicly defined themselves as FO fans never wanted a Bethesda game set in the FO universe.

Personally, I think FO3 is the best thing Bethesda ever did - going all the way back to Arena. But I was never a big fan, even though I did anticipate Daggerfall to the point of insanity back in the day - but was ultimately hugely let down by the bugfest and zillions of hollow features.

That said, FO3 is not in the same league as FO1 and FO2 - and I'm not even commenting on the writing. To me, the CRPG mechanics of the first games were almost perfect - and Beth with FO3 ruined this most vital aspect by completely missing all the nuances and thinking in terms of streamlining as they like to do. They simply don't understand mechanics - and they never did. All choices should ideally matter, and it should be important to consider them carefully - and it's as if they want you to not care what you choose, because everything is possible anyway.

Nah, it's a good game with great visuals - but that's about it. But it does happen to feature the very best "mini-game" dealing with hacking that I've seen. It feels just like it should, and it really does seem like you're using your brain a bit without overdoing it.

Mike, your post in a nutshell is what is wrong with RPGWatch.

Whereas digging up half-year-old threads only to post snide comments is the height of RPGWatch culture? Color me doubtful.

As for Fallout 3, the game simply doesn't interest me.

Whereas digging up half-year-old threads only to post snide comments is the height of RPGWatch culture? Color me doubtful.

He has stated elsewhere that he has just recently started playing. As such I have no problems with thread necro in those cases.

Of course, I don't think that the snip he did of what I said taken out of context is representative of what I have said and feel overall about Fallout 3 ... including my review.

He has stated elsewhere that he has just recently started playing. As such I have no problems with thread necro in those cases.
Sure, I have nothing against necroing threads as such, but the post seemed utterly self-defeating.

Did you even try it?
Got out of the vault, went to a nearby town, found a quest related shopping mall, quit. Essentially. That was soon after it was released and I don't remember it well enough to provide any further justification than it simply not being my cup of tea.

I don't think Dragon Age has faced anywhere near the same amount of negative criticism that FO3 did. Some disappointment perhaps, but not the flat out negativity that was so prevalent with FO3 in certain places.

Absolutely agree ...

But for reference the remark was about 'what is wrong with RPGWatch', and so I wanted to pull out a link to my (5 page) Fallout 3 review.

Sorry to single out Mike with the resurrection post. All the negativity around the AAA games is getting wearisome and I e-snapped. Somehow Bethesda has become the citadel of evil with Bioware a lacky. I love the isometrics myself but life moves on and there is plenty to enjoy in these other titles. FO3 is flawed, no doubt. I just figured out what having a healthy dose of negative karma means in this game. I mean really negative karma for killing an insane robot? Wannbie vampires? I'm doing the world a favor and now there is a freaking bounty on my head??? *sigh* the game is far from perfect. However, its DAMN enjoyable!

I'm not sure I get your problem. Sometimes people love a game more than you think the game deserves, sometimes they hate it more than you think it deserves. So?

I'm not sure I get your problem. Sometimes people love a game more than you think the game deserves, sometimes they hate it more than you think it deserves. So?

And sometimes people wonder why a game is generally viewed in a certain way, which is all he's saying.

Back
Top Bottom