GOG - Cooperation with Ars Technica

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
GOG and Ars Technica have started a cooperation. What the cooperation exactly entails is not completely clear, but for starters they are giving away free copies of The Witcher.

Giving away a game is just the first thing we're doing. Over the next few months, we're going to be testing out some cool integrations between Ars and GOG—most of it's under-the-hood stuff, but based on the talks we've been having with the GOG folks, it should be pretty neat.

Additionally, GOG has agreed to open up its archives to Ars and give us access to the developers who worked on many of the big games of the last 30-plus years, which ought to make for some excellent write-ups and stories. We're also looking forward to running a story or two on the complex methods GOG has had to employ over the years to excise copy protection and DRM from old titles, often without access to the original source code.

There's more, too—lots more. We'll announce additional initiatives over the next few months, so stay tuned folks!
More information.

I am not sure how I feel about this, awaiting more details. I generally like the journalism and articles at ARS Technica, but I prefer to see a level playing field, not one news outlet getting preferential treatment.

I am not sure how I feel about this, awaiting more details. I generally like the journalism and articles at ARS Technica, but I prefer to see a level playing field, not one news outlet getting preferential treatment.

No such thing as level playing field in journalism. Its one of the reasons I like Trump tweets. At least you are getting BS from the source over partially clipped, rewritten, carefully worded, mixed quoted BS from "news" companies.
Besides, they couldnt sensationalize his comments any more than he already does.

I don't know who looks worse in this: CDPR or Ars ?

Saying its Gog that's in co-operation with Ars avoids saying there's some sort of agreement to write fluff pieces about the Witcher. Of course, this expands it to the whole article.

Of course, I heard first hand from a 2k developer a paid review of how they could make design changes to a game to "improve potential reviews" and they paid a major website a contract to do that. We've seen what other companies have done such as fly their whole team to their offices and throw booth babes at them at conferences.

I am not sure I understand the hate here from what has been revealed. Ars gets to write articles on how GoG removes copy protection and get to give away a few free games. That is all that has been revealed so far. What is there to hate about that?

What is there to hate about that?
It's very bad form to pay for stories.

Say some lesser known publisher comes to a website (or YouTuber or whatever) and asks if they would like to do some interviews about their developers - hoping to get on prospective player's radars. The website says no, they don't think the story is really worth doing even with easy access. Then the publisher offers to sweeten the deal - like give away free copies of one of their older games to increase the website's readership and add revenue. Now the website agrees! The publisher just bought themselves onto a website in the guise of a news story.

Now CDProjekt is pretty well known with a lot of goodwill out there already so this could easily be a case of Ars Technica actually asking for the interview and CDProjekt throwing in free Witcher 1 games just for the heck of it. It's got a nasty odor, though. As they say in politics, the optics are not so good.

It's very bad form to pay for stories.

Say some lesser known publisher comes to a website (or YouTuber or whatever) and asks if they would like to do some interviews about their developers - hoping to get on prospective player's radars. The website says no, they don't think the story is really worth doing even with easy access. Then the publisher offers to sweeten the deal - like give away free copies of one of their older games to increase the website's readership and add revenue. Now the website agrees! The publisher just bought themselves onto a website in the guise of a news story.

Now CDProjekt is pretty well known with a lot of goodwill out there already so this could easily be a case of Ars Technica actually asking for the interview and CDProjekt throwing in free Witcher 1 games just for the heck of it. It's got a nasty odor, though. As they say in politics, the optics are not so good.

Yeah that makes sense. CD Projeckt shouldnt have offered those games, i t does look bad.

There always is some level of cooperation. Developers give interviews because they want an article published about their game and create more interest for that game. The website is used by the developers and the website uses the developers to have content.
We get free keys offered without asking for them, we give those keys away here on RPGWatch. It still is a promotional activity by the devs/publishers to do so and create news about the game. Not for us, but for many sites it is also a way to attract more visitors and ad revenues.
We are offered free keys for reviews. Most of the time they remain to be unused and end up in one of our giveaways, for the simple reason that there is nobody who wants to do a review. They don't ask for a positive review, they never do. I also think that our reviewers aren't influenced by having received a key (it doesn't look that way). Anyway, what I tend to do when there are negative points in such a review is provide the developer an opportunity to provide feedback. They do not always do that, but whether they do or not, it does not change the outcome of the review in any way, but there might be some additional notes from the developers. If the reviewer buys the game, we normally don't do that.
On shows like Gamescom, we usually get some goodies and a press kit. This stuff piles up, and I tend to give most of it away, like the giveaway we had last year.
All of this is give-and-take by the publishers/devs and a media outlet, like our website. And yes, most of it is meant in one way or the other to influence the other party.

Where it becomes a bit shady is when a publisher pays for ads on a website for a specific game and that website publishes a review about that game. If it is a very negative review they they might loose future ad income from that publisher. If it is a very positive review the review might become questionable because there is also this ad campaign. We prevent this situation from happening as I think it is bad form.
We also get on a weekly basis a mail about a paid for article about a game or whatever. We get paid if we publish the article. We never have nor will ever do that, but I guess there are sites out there who will do it.
Once you get into the situation that you have to make a living out of ad revenues of a site, your relationship with publishers/devs change. Staying objective becomes even more difficult than it already is.

As to paid visits. We have been offered a paid visit only once (well twice, but that was also from the same company). I didn't do that as I live a two hours drive away from them, so I just drove there and back on the same day. They just provided nourishment:)
However we don't all live close enough to developer studios, so it might be tempting to accept an offer as the alternative is to not go there. It doesn't have to be negative, but it could.

The cooperation between Ars and CDP sounds quite harmless to me. It has been disclosed voluntarily, so everybody knows about it. Let's wait and see what comes out at the bottom.

Other stuff is more worrying, like big YouTubers getting 10k+$ just to talk about a game for half an hour and finding some positiv aspects in the game for example. Of course without disclosing how they got the idea to play this very game.

Seems like I was mistaken, CD Projekt shouldnt have revealed they are doing this. It is kind of sad that the honest companies are the ones that take the most damage for the truth.

Back
Top Bottom