Dumb question

"There are no dumb questions, only dumb people." - (Mr. Garrison- South Park)

The icon for lockpicking is somewhere on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Obviously you need to have your thief selected for it to be there.

Great game btw :)

"There are no dumb questions, only dumb people." - (Mr. Garrison- South Park)

The icon for lockpicking is somewhere on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Obviously you need to have your thief selected for it to be there.
Can a Bard pick locks? I don't see the icon. :(

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, bards can pickpocket, but they can't pick locks.

If you don't have a thief, your alternatives are to attempt to bash the lock with a high-strength character or use the "Open Lock" spell. I can't remember which school of magic that's from though.

*Edit* The spell is called "Knock", and it's a level 2 Wizard spell.

Last edited:
It should be in bottom left… Let me take screenshot tomorrow if you still can't find it. From the memory I think you should be wearing leather armour to be able to lock pick if you are playing multi class.

Thanks guys. Please take a screenshot because I'm not seeing anything on the hotbar.

I am going to re-roll classes soon anyway. My dad and I are going to play multiplayer on dual tablets. Hopefully it works well because we love dungeon crawlers. :)

It should be in bottom left… Let me take screenshot tomorrow if you still can't find it. From the memory I think you should be wearing leather armour to be able to lock pick if you are playing multi class.

Nice! I totally didn't know that. :)

Isn't it the button that looks like a little bandit mask?

I tried that button and nothing happens. In fact, my character just freezes until I deselect that button to continue. Doesn't have any effect on locks.

"I can't remember how to pick locks in icewind Dale."

1. Do you have a thief in your party?
2. Does your thief have any skill in Lockpicking?
3. When you press the bandit mask button once, does your mouse icon turn into a different shape?
4. Are you sure the item you're hovering over with the new mouse icon is a locked item that is unlockable.

"I can't remember how to pick locks in icewind Dale."

1. Do you have a thief in your party?
2. Does your thief have any skill in Lockpicking?
3. When you press the bandit mask button once, does your mouse icon turn into a different shape?
4. Are you sure the item you're hovering over with the new mouse icon is a locked item that is unlockable.

I am using a Jester (Bard), but I could have sworn I put points into Pick Locks skill when I was creating the character. Maybe not.

The bandit mask basically freezes my character in place and nothing happens when I press on the locked chest. Keep in mind I'm playing on tablet, not PC, so maybe it's different.

The Bard can't pick locks.

The reason the character freezes is because when you press the mask button once, the mouse icon changes, you are now in thief mode, to free your character from thief mode simply press the button again to deactivate it and your mouse icon will return to a regular pointing hand.

Thanks, lackblogger. Good to know it wasn't user error but simply the Bard not being able to pick locks.

Will be playing this game co-op with my old man, each of us on a tablet. Should be fun. I will recreate the party then and make sure to roll a Thief. :)

Stealth mode is also another super-useful thief skill, if somewhat temperamental on low skill levels, but uses a different button, as is their detect traps skill. They require practice but can be very useful. Very experienced players don't tend to use thieves much, at least not pure ones, and use Invisibility to replace stealth and Knock to replace pick locks and Find Traps to replace search, but I tend to always have a pure thief in relaxation games simply because it's so much easier and adds a greater sense of roleplay.

Stealth mode is also another super-useful thief skill, if somewhat temperamental on low skill levels, but uses a different button, as is their detect traps skill. They require practice but can be very useful. Very experienced players don't tend to use thieves much, at least not pure ones, and use Invisibility to replace stealth and Knock to replace pick locks and Find Traps to replace search, but I tend to always have a pure thief in relaxation games simply because it's so much easier and adds a greater sense of roleplay.

Indeed, it is a bit easier to just have a character who can handle all or most of the thieving abilities. This will largely be a relaxation/just for fun run, and my dad likes leaving no locked container behind. I already know who will be carrying the gem bag! :)

I didn't realise you are playing a bard lol. Sorry about that Fluent! I never play Bard for 2nd ed.... When you said your character freezes, I thought that was a bug for sure! You learn something everyday :)

I didn't realise you are playing a bard lol. Sorry about that Fluent! I never play Bard for 2nd ed…. When you said your character freezes, I thought that was a bug for sure! You learn something everyday :)

So, what does the mask icon do for a bard, then? Pickpocketing? o_O

Yes, the Bard just has the Pickpocketing skill from the thief's arsenal.

Bards in IWD are a fair bit better than in most D&D games and get a lot more useful songs than they normally do. I seem to remember one of the highest level ones being particularly awesome.

Depends which version Menigal, Bards and Druids were the two classes that got hyper-buffed with the Hearts of Winter expansion, and EE has lots of other stuff on top, Bards in vanilla IWD only have the one song all game. Either way, I'm not sure Fluent wants min/max'ing spoilers at this stage detailing the pros and cons of every class available, though it is a fascinating subject for experienced players.

Back
Top Bottom