Sunless Sea - Zubmariner Review

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer has reviewed Sunless Sea: Zubmariner and has a favourable impression.

Zubmariner has been slotted into the main game, adding both underwater regions and new stories and characters to places you may have already visited, and there's no need for you to start a new game. I recommend starting anew, however, as exploring both surface and abyss in tandem as a new captain feels like the most rewarding way to experience the expansion. It's not too hard to get your hands on the upgrade that lets you explore the depths, either.

A quest sends you south, to one of the fixed locations on the map: Port Carnelian. There, either by spending money or offering up certain items, you can develop the technology you need. Then, there's an item to find-I was lucky enough to already have its location revealed on my map from an earlier journey-and that's it, you've got yourself a zubmarine. Conveniently, once you've unlocked it, future captains can get the upgrade for free and merely need to visit the port to receive it.

Down below, the world is a very different place. In a zubmarine, you can get up close and visit areas once just beyond your grasp, from striking coral forests to ominous sunken cities. It's still dark down there, of course, so the ship's light is a constant necessity, as its the new zonar that does the same job as the zeebat, revealing objects and places of interest with automatic pulses.
More information.

Very interested in this game. Somehow missed its released. Will pick up the original eventually.

They diluted the experience by easing on the management of fuel,terror. In older releases, ekeing on fuel, killing lights, sailing along a path of light buoys was highly recommended.

In this version, exploration on full speed/full light is fully viable. The impression of sailing into the unknown is decreased. Borderline turned into a farming experience.

Due to the change in the balance, death also seems to be a thing of the past. Taking high risks in exchange of big rewards is no longer as pressing as it is, completing mates story is good enough to hold up until the upgrades of the ship do their work.

Thats too bad!

Oh well, I've never played the original so I can still get that experience before going for the expansion I guess.

It might be the result of a prior patching.

As to being bad, it depends on players. Players rejected the experience of loneliness and the ways to achieve it. For them, it is a good thing. Even though they would like an option to compress time.

The product was changed. That is all. Another example of a change in direction.

Back
Top Bottom