Wizardry 6 - A Brand New Fluent Let's Play

i Beat both Wiz7 and 8 several times (although is needed some help from the internet to beat wiz 7, shame on me...). Never got around playing wiz6, so looking forward to your walktrough!

I still have a full Wizardry 6-8 walkthrough with the same party on my ToDo list. Wiz 6 looks very hard to get into though, due to its age. I played Wiz 8 with a party of three (LMK) and never finished it, which dteowner still hasn't forgiven me I believe. ;) But there was always this nagging feeling that I was missing out because a) I didn't have a priest (so the entire holy magic tree was locked out for me) and b) I had no party to import from the prequel.

Wizardry 8 was my personal favorite, primarily due to the huge graphics upgrade over previous titles. However, Wiz5, 6, and 7 were all five star games worth a replay. I beat them all, which was no easy task with just a pad of graph paper and without the Internet or clue books. But that's what I loved about those old RPGs; They were tough and required a brain.

BTW, it's hard to believe now, but there was a controversy at the time over the topless women in the game… Oh, gee whiz, I think that pixel might be a nipple! O_O

You may not be aware of it, but the well known CRPGAddict does pronounce his disdain of the myriads of bare breasts the game forces him to look at. He identifies this as an annoying trade of David W. Bradley's games.

But let me be clear: I have no problem with sex or nudity in games, film, or literature. Given the tastes I've expressed over the years, I don't know how anyone could possibly think that I do. I praised the Malazan series. I watch A Game of Thrones. I practically live on Bourbon Street, for Christ's sake. I was a Playboy subscriber for many years and probably would still be if physical magazines were still a sensible thing. But put my favorite issue of Playboy in the hands of some creepy guy sitting next to me on a train, have him wave it repeatedly in my face while saying, "Hey! Look at those bazzoombas! Oooh, yeah. Look at 'em! Look at 'em!," and now we have a problem. If that's not how the game feels to you, that's fine. There's a lot of room for personal preference when it comes to these things. But every time I saw nudity in Wizardry VI, I saw David W. Bradley grinning behind the images, gurgling out his encouragement to look at those bazoombas. Maybe my reaction would have been entirely different if I hadn't looked at his photo in the hint guide before playing the game.

Seems still relevant today, doesn't it?

Hey, I got this on GOG, been meaning to play it someday… might as well join in :)
Hope you see it through otherwise I'll probably stop as well.

I definitely plan on seeing it through for a *long* time. For example, I have multiple Let's Plays on YouTube that span over 40 hours of gameplay, so I plan on playing it for that long, if not more.

Thing is, I'm also gauging how much interest there is for a Let's Play like this that is a bit slower-paced since I'm mapping and everything. But if the series gets enough likes and views, I will definitely keep it going. :)

Wow that's a lot of videos done in very little time! :) I subscribed and watched a couple. I'm afraid to watch the Wizardry ones though. I'll surely end up playing it and not working :(

Well, the first 3 episodes are me reading the manual, so the actual gameplay won't start until Episode 4 or so. If anyone wants to just jump to party creation, Episode 4 is the place to start. :)

And I actually made these episodes a few days ago. :)

i Beat both Wiz7 and 8 several times (although is needed some help from the internet to beat wiz 7, shame on me…). Never got around playing wiz6, so looking forward to your walktrough!

Cool! Glad to have you aboard. I look forward to trying Wiz 7 and 8 at some point, but I'd like to get through Wiz 6 first. Should be a fun a ride! :)

I still have a full Wizardry 6-8 walkthrough with the same party on my ToDo list. Wiz 6 looks very hard to get into though, due to its age. I played Wiz 8 with a party of three (LMK) and never finished it, which dteowner still hasn't forgiven me I believe. ;) But there was always this nagging feeling that I was missing out because a) I didn't have a priest (so the entire holy magic tree was locked out for me) and b) I had no party to import from the prequel.

Maybe you should give Wiz 6 a spin and create your party to take into the next games. Wiz 6 isn't that bad. The interface is quite simple once you get used to it, the only issue one should really have with it is the aged graphics. Just pretend you're playing some unknown, brand new indie title that is going for a retro feel! :D

The next 4 episodes for Wizardry Weekends are live!! Check 'em out! :)

That does it for this weekend. Next weekend will have more episodes, so stay tuned!! :)

Aww Wizardry… I miss that series. With Phoonzhang and the Dark Savant and all that weird lore! :D

I'd love to hear what you all think of my party creation. I start that in Episode 4. I did a little manual research (of course, I read the thing!), and I think I have a pretty decent starting party. However, they don't perform too well in combat or opening locked doors, lol! Ah well. I suppose they will get much better when they level up some. :)

I still have a full Wizardry 6-8 walkthrough with the same party on my ToDo list. Wiz 6 looks very hard to get into though, due to its age.

Yes, all but Wizardry 8 haven't aged well. Even when released, the Wizardry games had always lagged behind in the graphics department. But, the core gameplay remains the same. So, if you enjoyed one, and can get past the poor graphics, you'll enjoy them all.

My first Wizardry game was Bane of the Cosmic Forge. I had avoided earlier games in the series due to their simple line drawn mazes. But, Wizardry VI was a huge step forward with much improved graphics including textured walls, so I picked it up and was hooked. Just think, once upon a time long ago, us old geezers actually thought Wizardry VI's graphics looked good! I later found Wizardy V: Heart of the Maelstrom in a bargain bin and once I got past the ugly line drawn mazes, it was just as fun. It's too bad no one ever did a graphics overhaul on those old games, maybe using the Wizardry VII engine.

I may go back to the earliest Wizardry games in the future. I think they look fine, but I don't mind older graphics at all.

If you guys are just now viewing this, you may want to start with Episode 4, since the first 3 episodes are me reading the manual! This may sound dull, but some of you might find it interesting to learn little tidbits that are hidden in the manual! I wanted to include those episodes just to show the entire epic journey I am undertaking with this game. :)

It's too bad no one ever did a graphics overhaul on those old games, maybe using the Wizardry VII engine.

Actually, the Japanese did remake the originals with upgraded graphics. The first three and 5 at least are avaiable as Super NES games, with 5 being around in the US (I have it actually). I don't know if 1-3 were released for the SNES as well here in the US, but some were released as NES games with graphical upgrades as well. I have Wizardry 1 on the NES.

*EDIT* A quick search showed that the SNES Wizardry 1-3 collection, as well as Wizardry VI, were only released in Japan (along with some Japan-only Wizardry games). On the NES, Proving Grounds and Knight of Diamonds were released in the US, but the first three were released in Japan. There are still Wizardry games being made in Japan, with only one PS2 game making it westward.

Obviously, I don't know if the Euro-guys got any of these games on consoles, as I don't live there.

Actually, the Japanese did remake the originals with upgraded graphics. The first three and 5 at least are avaiable as Super NES games, with 5 being around in the US (I have it actually). I don't know if 1-3 were released for the SNES as well here in the US, but some were released as NES games with graphical upgrades as well. I have Wizardry 1 on the NES.

*EDIT* A quick search showed that the SNES Wizardry 1-3 collection, as well as Wizardry VI, were only released in Japan (along with some Japan-only Wizardry games). On the NES, Proving Grounds and Knight of Diamonds were released in the US, but the first three were released in Japan. There are still Wizardry games being made in Japan, with only one PS2 game making it westward.

Obviously, I don't know if the Euro-guys got any of these games on consoles, as I don't live there.

Unbelievable. Wizardry games continue to come up and us Western folks get none of them!? I am almost outraged. It reminds me of the Elminage series not getting translated. Why are these great dungeon-crawler gems not getting translated?? Maybe Western audiences truly aren't ready for the diabolical genre of dungeon-crawling, but I think if enough of these games got translated and released in English, at least the Westerners would be able to ease their way into this genre. Instead, we get nothing. I'm mad!

Hopefully we can convince Ghostlight to translate the Elminage series, at least. These games deserve a Western audience!

I'll have to keep these older games in mind for future Let's Plays. Almost makes me regret starting Wiz 6, when I could have started Wiz 5 for SNES, or one of the NES or early PC ones. Ah, well. Those will be games to delve into in the future, for sure. :)

Western suits think that these titles no longer sell. That, coupled with the cost of translating and localizing, leaves us dungeon-crawler-poor. The Wizardry PS2 game that did get ported flopped spectacularly in the US, though it was pretty fun (I had it when I had a PS2).

Though there is a series of dungeon crawlers released for the GBA and DS which has done somewhat well, but beyond that, most stuff never gets translated.

It's sad. Wizardry sold millions of copies!! I bet it continues to sell big time in Japan.

It's a shame that we don't get these games on PC. It could be a dungeon-crawling renaissance over here if only someone would continue translating these games.

Maybe Bard's Tale IV will bring dungeon-crawling glory back to PC. If it does well and is considered a great game, it could lead to similar games being translated for us. :)

Yes, all but Wizardry 8 haven't aged well. Even when released, the Wizardry games had always lagged behind in the graphics department. But, the core gameplay remains the same. So, if you enjoyed one, and can get past the poor graphics, you'll enjoy them all.
Graphics look fine to me actually, it's more about the interface and a missing automap feature in Wiz6+7. I just never had to use graph paper before, the earliest CRPGs I played already had the feature. However, I already found out about the Wizardry 6 Automap Mod (Wiz7), so that's covered.

I did read about Wizardy 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant in a gaming mag when it came out and was enamored with screenshots, amazed that the reviewers called the difficulty "for experts". I had only an Amiga back then, so dream was all I could do.

I may go back to the earliest Wizardry games in the future. I think they look fine, but I don't mind older graphics at all.
If CRPG Addict's reviews of the first parts and user comments are any indication, the Wizardries before VI had noticeably different gameplay paradigms and were generally more work than fun. At least that was my impression.

That SNES Wizardry 1-3 collection is playable in English via emulation and a fan-made translation patch.

I definitely plan on seeing it through for a *long* time. For example, I have multiple Let's Plays on YouTube that span over 40 hours of gameplay, so I plan on playing it for that long, if not more.

Thing is, I'm also gauging how much interest there is for a Let's Play like this that is a bit slower-paced since I'm mapping and everything. But if the series gets enough likes and views, I will definitely keep it going. :)

Things such as a Lets Play of this style often take a long time to mature. If you are enjoying it just keep posting them and ignore the interest right now. There isn't a lot of material on Wiz 6 out there so if its available as a resource it'll eventually be watched. Set long term expectations on this series.
I'd warn the viewers that you only start the game at E3-4 as watching someone read a manual isn't for everyone.

If CRPG Addict's reviews of the first parts and user comments are any indication, the Wizardries before VI had noticeably different gameplay paradigms and were generally more work than fun. At least that was my impression.

Well, I play (and love) Elminage Gothic, which is supposed to be designed after the first 3 Wizardry games, so I think I would like them quite a bit. :)

Things such as a Lets Play of this style often take a long time to mature. If you are enjoying it just keep posting them and ignore the interest right now. There isn't a lot of material on Wiz 6 out there so if its available as a resource it'll eventually be watched. Set long term expectations on this series.
I'd warn the viewers that you only start the game at E3-4 as watching someone read a manual isn't for everyone.

You're right, although I do like to see a decent amount of interest right at the beginning. And I do realize reading the manual is a bit hardcore for some, but well, those people who think that probably wouldn't be big fans of my channel already. :)

For those who played the early Wizardry games on both the PC AND NES/SNES, were the console versions identical to the PC versions? I'm interested in maybe hunting the console versions down on Ebay to add to my collection but I don't want the console versions if they're Wizardry-Lite like the console versions of some of the Ultima games were.

For those who played the early Wizardry games on both the PC AND NES/SNES, were the console versions identical to the PC versions? I'm interested in maybe hunting the console versions down on Ebay to add to my collection but I don't want the console versions if they're Wizardry-Lite like the console versions of some of the Ultima games were.

The NES and SNES versions of the Wizardry games look phenomenal, IMO. I will have to make Let's Plays for them in the future.

I once played a few hours of Wizardry: Forsaken Lands on the PS2, but I was not impressed at all. Old-school western RPGs and JRPGs should not be blended. I'd recommend sticking with Wizardry on the PC.

I disagree. Elminage Gothic is a great example of a blend of Western-style old-school RPGs and JRPGs. Then again, I enjoy JRPGs a lot, so I like playing them. :)

Back
Top Bottom