Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello all.

I am a very curious person and as I will be getting wed soon I was wondering what relationship status people have here. Especially since this forum has lots of older people.

I guess the question also comes with, what do you think about marriage, civil partnerships, polyamorous relationships and so on ?

I would prefer this not to become a debate, but more of an open question to people.
It is not about what you think is better for everyone else, but just about you and your closed one.

I am very much of a traditionalist in this sense and I think that marriage is a symbol of being together forever.
I know it is in itself just a document that says we're together and allocates some legal privileges, which some countries have equaled (almost) to civil partnerships.
However, I think having a wedding ceremony and a special honeymoon make for a good introduction to a married life or life together and symbolises the commitment you have for one another.

I know it's not for everyone, but it is for me.

I have added a poll.

Congratulation on your engagement, your gaming time is about to drop and once you have an offspring, into nothingness :)

I am old fashioned as you so "Monogamous Marriage" with a 5 month old daughter.

Mazel tov!

Happily married for four years now.

I completely agree that marriage means more than a common law relationship. My province is one of the very few places of the Western world where common law spouses have no further finanfial obligations to each other after a separation, so it means they are very popular and more than half couples never get married. In my opinion it fosters instability and irresponsible behavior.

It certainly works for some people, but they are detrimental to most. Because a relationship should really be a serious life-long commitment.

Next year will be 25 for this nut. Amazing that one woman could put up with me that long….

As an interesting coincidence, the poll will close on my 24th anniversary.

Congratulations to the guardian.

pibbur who has been married to the same woman for ... just a minute ... calculating ... 37 years.

Thank you everyone :)

Congratulation on your engagement, your gaming time is about to drop and once you have an offspring, into nothingness :)

It has already dropped a lot since my old student days.
I still try and put some time in when I can to the chagrin of my fiancée :D

Thank you everyone :)

lostforever said:
Congratulation on your engagement, your gaming time is about to drop and once you have an offspring, into nothingness

It has already dropped a lot since my old student days.
I still try and put some time in when I can to the chagrin of my fiancée :D

"A physicist, a mathematician and a computer scientist discuss what is better: a wife or a girlfriend.
The physicist: "A girlfriend. You still have freedom to experiment."
The mathematician: "A wife. You have security." (Ed. I don't get that one)
The computer scientist: "Both. When I'm not with my wife, she thinks I'm with my girlfriend. With my girlfriend it's vice versa. And I can be with my computer without anyone disturbing me…"

pibbur who only has a wife (who is of course a girl-friend has-been), but knows how to pretend he's working.

Always was, and likely always will be: Single.
Pretensions being high and having an angular character doesn't help. ^^

Whatever you call your relationship statuses (speaking of realtionship/ civil partnership / marriage), they only have importance if one or both of you give them importance for whatever reason. Most of these reasons are probably because of tradition and the morality you were tought since a child (edit: well, laws in your state are another factor ^^)
Meaning that in a culture where a "religious marriage" or a "civil partnership" doesn't exist, it cannot have the same weight as in a strictly catholic family.
So a "marriage" for a couple in one place or time can have a significantly different importance than in a different place or time. Would not be fair to say that in one relationship partners are closer to each other than in another just because they have these "tags".

I voted other, as I have no idea what a serial monogamist is.

I'm in my first long-term relationship and liking it very much so far. Not that I don't miss the freedom of being single, but as long as this relationship always gives more than it takes, it's worthwhile.

Happily married for 15 years now. My mom always told me: 'Never marry and never have kids - it's the worst thing you can do!', but despite seeing the truth in her words when it came to her and my dad, I didn't believe it *had* to be that way, so I choose to contradict her on both accounts.
Personally, I could have done without the church part of our marriage, but it meant a lot to hubby, and the fact that we're married is something I appreciate a lot.

Always was, and likely always will be: Single.
Pretensions being high and having an angular character doesn't help. ^^

Whatever you call your relationship statuses (speaking of realtionship/ civil partnership / marriage), they only have importance if one or both of you give them importance for whatever reason. Most of these reasons are probably because of tradition and the morality you were tought since a child (edit: well, laws in your state are another factor ^^)
Meaning that in a culture where a "religious marriage" or a "civil partnership" doesn't exist, it cannot have the same weight as in a strictly catholic family.
So a "marriage" for a couple in one place or time can have a significantly different importance than in a different place or time. Would not be fair to say that in one relationship partners are closer to each other than in another just because they have these "tags".

Yup, I agree with that.
I would likely care even less for marriage if my parents weren't married and it weren't an integral part of the culture I was brought up in.

Saying that, if my partner would have preferred a civil partnership, I don't think I would have pressed for more.

I voted other, as I have no idea what a serial monogamist is.

I'm in my first long-term relationship and liking it very much so far. Not that I don't miss the freedom of being single, but as long as this relationship always gives more than it takes, it's worthwhile.

Yeah, I didn't think all the options through really, but thought to put a few strange ones in there.

Serial monogamists are people who only want to be with one partner but change that partner regularly. :)

Happily married for 15 years now. My mom always told me: 'Never marry and never have kids - it's the worst thing you can do!', but despite seeing the truth in her words when it came to her and my dad, I didn't believe it *had* to be that way, so I choose to contradict her on both accounts.
Personally, I could have done without the church part of our marriage, but it meant a lot to hubby, and the fact that we're married is something I appreciate a lot.

Haha, rebellious Jaz !

Also, haven't seen you post much lately, so welcome back :)

Married for… umm… 10 years now.
However, we were together for 13 years before that. There was little difference, other than what other people think. Also, my wife got to be a princess for a day (well, longer).

I am very open minded about the concept of marriage (e.g. I have no issue with same-sex marriage), and cynical about it necessarily meaning "more" than a strong monogamous non-marriage relationship. I know as many divorced/separated friends who were married as less traditional friends that have been together for as long as I remember. In fact, in my peer group the less traditional lot have been more successful than the more traditional lot, but that might just be because we are a bunch of weirdos.

I've been in a civil union now for 17 years. It was the best thing that happened to me. It's much more tax advantageous for us to remain unmarried for now. Once social security kicks in, that may change.

Congratulations Pladio!

This March 23th me and wife will be celebrating 14 years married :)

Separated. And by the whole ocean to make sure that it stays that way :)

Congrats, Pladio!!

I am happily married to one man (who was my only boyfriend) for 4.5 years now :) Been together as a couple for 10.5 years!

I am a traditionalist like you are. I'm a bit close minded when it comes to marriage - I think it should be union of pair of loving male and female. I'm not saying I'm against people in same-sex relationship - mind works strange way and I know attraction can occur with anyone. But biologically it makes sense for a pair of male+female should be together.

Strongly against polygamorous relationship - I just don't see how this will work at all. I'm an extreme jealous type, I won't be able to understand sharing my hubby with another person at all.

I'm an extreme jealous type, I won't be able to understand sharing my hubby with another person at all.

It's weird, but sometimes, most often after watching a nature documentary, I'll sit there and rationalise the concept that maybe everyone would be happier if we let the alpha males do all the breeding with all the fertile women and not try to encourage poor sex-lives onto not very sexually motivated people, something that must be very difficult for a lot of people for who the sex has died in their relationships. Then, when I actually see this happen in practise, such as with depictions of Harems or Mormons, playboys etc, I just feel this awful barrel of jealous rage boil up inside me for which I have no rational explanation, nor rational control.

Back
Top Bottom