Might and Magic VI - VIII

codename47

Watcher
Hello.

I am totally new to the Might and Magic series (well, if you don't count Heroes of Might and Magic II & III).

I wanted to ask whether it is possible to import the characters from VI to VII, and from VII to VIII?

I don't really like to play games older than 1996-1998. Not because of the graphics, but because some of the games have gameplay I really don't like (Like Wizardry VI, I couldn't get into it. I might try Wizardry VII again, once I read enough about it and don't rush into the rat ninjas again)

So I don't think I'd be interested in Worlds of Xeen, or anything before Might and Magic VI.

Nope, no imports. MM6 has a HUGE world with tons to do. MM7 is a little smaller but adds a great deal of character development depth (making it the best of the series, IMO). MM8 is smaller yet, makes the "recruit your party" mistake, and has a serious balance issue, although it's still a decent game.

World of Xeen is actually surprisingly playable by today's standards. More so than Might & Magic 6-8, in my opinion (this come from someone who played WoX for the first time last year, but played Might & Magic 6 near its release, and who has no nostalgic ties to pre Win95-era CRPGs)

Might & Magic 6-8 have some story ties, but they are not directly linked together, so you don't even have to play them in order unless you want to. M&M 6 does have some annoying design decisions, and because of this I don't really like that game. 7 is still far from perfect, in fact it is rather annoying at many points, but it does also have a lot going for it. 8 is the least annoying of the lot, but on the other hand it is a bit too short & easy for its own good.

World of Xeen is actually surprisingly playable by today's standards. More so than Might & Magic 6-8, in my opinion (this come from someone who played WoX for the first time last year, but played Might & Magic 6 near its release, and who has no nostalgic ties to pre Win95-era CRPGs)

Seconded. I found it much, much easier to get into World of Xeen than M&M 6. It's a bit silly at times, but still a solid game.

I have to go against the previous two opinions (sorry guys ;)). M&M 3-5 do have a certain kind of charm, but I find M&M VI+ a lot more accessible. I also like the real-time exploration and combat compared to the grid-based nature of the older titles.

The older titles do have more character creation options though.

I have to agree with Fnord and Menigal, so another vote to World of Xeen.
I disagree that it's less accessible than M&M6, a game I've only been able to put myself through the one time.

World of Xeen on the other hand, I played through at least three times. The second time was actually to introduce my younger brother to the world of RPG's.

I'm with JDR on this one - I replay MM6-8 at least once a year, sometimes more. Fantastic games. However, I have a very hard time getting back into MM4-5 - the graphics, interface and overall gameplay is just too sluggish.

World of Xeen is great. Some of the most fun I've had in the last couple of years. I should play MM VI and compare.

Ditto. I've tried to play MM VI a few times and something about it throws me off. But to be fair, I haven't really given it a chance, mostly just play for a few minutes at a time. On my backlog. Still must finish World Of Xeen.

I don't really like to play games older than 1996-1998. Not because of the graphics, but because some of the games have gameplay I really don't like (Like Wizardry VI, I couldn't get into it. I might try Wizardry VII again, once I read enough about it and don't rush into the rat ninjas again)

So I don't think I'd be interested in Worlds of Xeen, or anything before Might and Magic VI.
Worlds of Xeen and Might&Magic 3 are much more accessible than those wizardry games. They were always considered RPG lite games.

I recommend you try Might&Magic 3-5. They are amazing games. Graphics are imho better than those ugly sprites in later parts as they have a nice cartoonish tone.

However, I have a very hard time getting back into MM4-5 - the graphics, interface and overall gameplay is just too sluggish.
How can you say gameplay is sluggish when it is actually more fluid than endless combat slugfest in later parts? Don`t get me wrong as I really like later parts but still m&m 6 for example would be a much shorter game without dozens hours of pointless combat. There is actually more exploration, character development, great puzzles and riddles and we can`t forget classic story which ends with darkside of xeen.

I´d second the World of Xeen recommendations - it offers the best gameplay mix (especially the Darkside part) and it´s the best looking one to boot.
From the VI-VIII, I´d recommend VII for its great character development system and design decisions that lead to less tedious experience when compared to VI.

Might & Magic VI have beautiful music, among the best in gaming history as far as I concern. There was a time I listened to it all the time.

I like them all, and have beaten 2 through 8 multiple times per game, but overall 7 is the best for me. The character system is deeper than 6, though less open, but the restrictions add a lot of replay value. The music is incredible to boot ;)

How can you say gameplay is sluggish when it is actually more fluid than endless combat slugfest in later parts? Don`t get me wrong as I really like later parts but still m&m 6 for example would be a much shorter game without dozens hours of pointless combat. There is actually more exploration, character development, great puzzles and riddles and we can`t forget classic story which ends with darkside of xeen.

Sluggish gameplay doesn't really have anything to do with the amount of combat. Combat is a part of the gameplay, and in MM6 I can just turn off turn based mode and plow through it all as smooth as a knife through butter. Lukewarm butter. Not frozen butter. That's not an option in previous MMs if I remember correctly, leading to all sorts of stuttering and supposed drama over a rat.

Besides, everything is sluggish. Moving around is sluggish. Looking around is sluggish. Who on earth does 90 degree spins in the blink of an eye? Might & Magic 6 and beyond has this nifty "smooth turn rate" mode which really makes moving, fighting and so on and so forth a far better experience in my opinion.

It's flat out sluggish, just the same way that the original Wolfenstein 3D is sluggish. Sure, it was great at the time, but that doesn't change the fact that Duke Nukem 3D has smoother gameplay than Wolfenstein 3D. A lot happened in terms of gameplay between 92/93 and 96.

I like them all, and have beaten 2 through 8 multiple times per game, but overall 7 is the best for me. The character system is deeper than 6, though less open, but the restrictions add a lot of replay value. The music is incredible to boot ;)

I agree completely - MM7 is fantastic. One of the best RPGs ever made.

Are you seriously slagging WoX because it's tile based?

Maylander - I see you really don`t understand what we try to tell you. Guess you really didn`t grow up with tile based RPGs so it is understandable. :)

I still think World of Xeen is more user friendly than Mandate of Heaven. Sure, UI is not as smooth and it has strictly turn-based combat (a big plus for some of us as many don`t like real time option in later games) but there are other components I mentioned above that make this game better than M&M6. Not sure what you mean with a drama over a rat but yes world of xeen is also quite non-linear as mandate of heaven is and you can go virtually anywhere on the game map and get into some serious problems with tough opponents.

JemyM - World of Xeen and Isles of Terra also have some incredibly catchy midi tunes. But still I agree Mandate of Heaven has the best soundtrack.

I still think World of Xeen is more user friendly than Mandate of Heaven. Sure, UI is not as smooth and it has strictly turn-based combat (a big plus for some of us as many don`t like real time option in later games) but there are other components I mentioned above that make this game better than M&M6.

The later games offer both turn-based and real-time combat though. So I don't see how the earlier games had any type of advantage there.

Besides, everything is sluggish. Moving around is sluggish. Looking around is sluggish. Who on earth does 90 degree spins in the blink of an eye? Might & Magic 6 and beyond has this nifty "smooth turn rate" mode which really makes moving, fighting and so on and so forth a far better experience in my opinion.

But it is so drawn out. I found both M&M 6 & 7 to have this issue, there were simply too many enemies everywhere, and while each single enemy might be relatively easy to beat, the amount of them makes combat feel like it takes an eternity. I never found WoX to have this problem, even if there was a lot of combat in this game as well. It did at least feel like I was getting somewhere in that game.

Maylander - I see you really don`t understand what we try to tell you. Guess you really didn`t grow up with tile based RPGs so it is understandable. :)

I did not do that either, my first serious experience with tile based CRPGs was last year. While I usually think that freeform movement is better, tile-based movement does have a certain charm, and it does offer a totally different experience.

Back
Top Bottom