a new "Choice of..." game -- Choice of the Pirate

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!
a new "Choice of…" game -- Choice of the Pirate

Has anyone played the "Choice of" series? They're text-based games that are RPG-ish to the degree that they include character customization and stat-building.

I know the guy who started the company, and they have a new game that just came out, Choice of the Pirate. Try it, it's only $2.99!

I have no idea if this one is any good, as I just this second bought it myself, and most of the games have different writers. But the previous entry in the series, Choice of Robots (also very cheap!) was pretty great, I thought, and really showed the company maturing. The course of the story diverges wildly based on your choices, and the game could end with the US conquered by China, or under the thumb of your own robot army, or on much smaller scale with a robot falling in love with another robot for the first time.

For example, the choice below isn't just cosmetic -- it will come up repeatedly through the course of the game, affecting how people react when they meet your robot and sometimes limiting which story threads are available to you.

cor_04.jpg

So, uh, yeah -- buy my friend's stuff, everyone!

Last edited:
Huh. There is also a somewhat popular of "Choose Your Own Adventure" - styled games on Android, too. I have played one a bit (Life of a Wizard). Very RPG-esque complete with stats and inventory, and many, many branching story choices to make and lots of decisions. Really neat stuff, especially if you grew up with those Choose Your Own Adventure books like I did. :)

Here it is > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hostedgames.lifeofawizard&hl=en

That's the same guys. They make their engine (if you can call it that -- their script, really) available for free to anyone who wants to write for it, and they don't require that people use the "Choice of a…" format for the title.

(I keep saying I'm going to write one called "Choice of a Lesser Evil" where you play as a small demon trying not to get squashed by larger ones, and your stats are the seven deadly sins, but I never get around to it)

Ah, neat!

I was impressed with the Wizard one. Loved that it had an actual inventory and you could collect various items in the game (that often came in very handy at times!), as well as all those lovely Skills and stuff you can improve! Plenty of RPG elements in a book-style format. Great stuff. :)

Yeah I played several of them when I was in uni and they were free to play :D

I bought one or two in my phone.
They are usually well written and fun to play, but leave me with a "So what now?" after finishing as they are quite short often due to al the branching paths.

They are usually well written and fun to play, but leave me with a "So what now?" after finishing as they are quite short often due to al the branching paths.

Yeah.

I guess you could go back and try different choices. Even the old-school "Choose Your Own Adventure" books could end abruptly. That's why I usually kept my finger on the previous page to make the other choice if that one led to the end. :)

Choice of Robots is quite a bit longer than the earlier games, though still something you could play through in an evening.

Back
Top Bottom