Pillars of Eternity II - Your Own Ship

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pillars of Eternity 2s latest update focuses on ships. There are more stretch goals posted as well.

Your Own Ship!

Yes, we can finally confirm what we've been keeping secret this whole time: a new and exciting feature that takes the Pillars of Eternity experience to a completely new stage, which adds open-world exploration and discovery to the gameplay on both land and at sea! As many of you guessed correctly, in Deadfire you can be the captain of your own ship. With ships, you have the power to play the game differently; now, you can freely explore the islands of the Deadfire using the new world map.

You want details about the ships? No problem. Your ship is a Dyrwoodan sloop called the Defiant, purchased for you by the Steward of Caed Nua, who has made the journey to help you (part of her, anyway) on your quest to hunt down Eothas, and is one of the first allies to join you on your adventure. The ship acts as your mobile base of operations, carrying you and your comrades wherever you command. Companions will stay on-board while not in your party, and you can even go below decks to your captain's quarters for rest and relaxation.

You can customize, upgrade, and add personal touches to the Defiant. This includes changing your sails, painting your hull, and flying flags to show your personal colors/faction allegiance. You can also improve the performance of your cannons, sails, and hull, beyond just their cosmetic appearance. For example, Dwarven cannons add extra firepower in naval battles, or while upgraded sails give you an extra bit of speed to outmaneuver your opponent. If we hit our $3.5 million stretch goal,we'll add even more new and amazing, unlockable upgrades for your ships. And if we hit our $4 million stretch goal, we will add other ships that you can find, purchase, or even steal during your adventure - to make them your own.

The World Map - Navigate the High Seas

As you probably saw in the video, above, the world map has gotten complete overhaul in terms of form and function. No longer do you have to travel from point to point in a locked fashion (though you can travel directly to locations you've already discovered, if you want). Instead, you can freely explore the map in any direction you want with your ship. You can even disembark and travel by foot on the larger islands. Our design inspiration here comes directly from classic RPGs like Fallout1 & 2; this new approach to the world map makes Pillars II feel bigger, freer, and lets you play how you want. You may discover islands and dungeons not on your map, adventure on your own path for extra treasure, or chart a course towards a distant island.

During your sea travels, you can access the ship at any time to talk to your companions or manage your ship. And through the world map UI, you can travel directly to previously discovered locations. We have a similar feature in the Neketaka City Map UI that allows you to go directly to major interior areas without having to the walk through the exterior district maps manually, which will save you a lot of time.

Encounters

During your adventures around the islands of Deadfire, you may encounter things at sea. These special encounters will be presented as scripted interactions - not only will your ship play a role, but any ship upgrades will impact how these interactions play out, too. We will have both combat and non-combat encounters, many of which will play out in-game depending on the resolution you've chosen. For example, you may come upon a hostile pirate ship on the horizon. If you choose to engage, you can fire your cannons in attempt to destroy their ship, or you can try closing the distance to board and fight the crew directly. How effective a cannon shot is will depend on how improved your cannons are, and how likely you are to be able to escape, on your sails. Other examples include finding a derelict vessel, saving a group of stranded sailors on a wreck, meeting a traveling merchant, or fighting a monstrous sea creature. How you deal with these events is up to you.
More information.

Own ship?
Is this Eternity2 or Drakensang2 or Gothic2?

Terrible, just terrible. Obsidian is sinking to new lows.

What's the problem with having boats to play with? Looks pretty fun to me.

For me the good news is the addition of an overland, or rather oversea, map. Owning our own ship seems logical given the nature of the region.

But… $5 million for an eighth companion? That seems down right unreachable at this point, so why even mention it?

Terrible, just terrible. Obsidian is sinking to new lows.

You seem to be harboring strong feelings, but I can't fathom why.

Last edited:
Generally I like the idea of having a (mostly) secure and cozy home base. Best design imho was the camp in DA:O.
A ship is fine for me, alas this one looks a little sterile. I hope it'll get some polish and you'll be able to go to some rooms inside.

But… $5 million for an eighth companion? That seems down right unreachable at this point, so why even mention it?
Most likely they'll have slacker backer campaign after Fig with the acquired funds going to the stretch goals as well. That's ehy they need some more interesting stuff.

Carrot on a stick for the Paypal backers which should go up once the FIG campaign is over via the backer portal on the official website.

A ship is fine for me, alas this one looks a little sterile. I hope it'll get some polish and you'll be able to go to some rooms inside.

I'm pretty sure this is an interior shot of a ship cabin.

A ship makes sense as a "stronghold" in a game where you move from island to island. It's nice that you can take your stronghold with you.

By the way, the update also announced that you can buy the DLC for $20 already, like you could do during the POE1 Kickstarter campaign. You can edit your pledge accordingly.

Yea but we knew DLC will be an expansion with the first game. Here... It might be just overpriced horse armor.

Your own ship? I'd much rather have detailed quests, good writing, more storyline peripety or whatever. Stretch goals like these are meant to replace good old-fashioned polish.

Last edited:
I don't know why this is such bad news. I think it is pretty cool.

It's no secret that I was a great fan of Storm of Zehir and its overland map feature. It brought some dynamic features while the original game was quite static. If it's similiar in PoE2, I already like it. A ship sounds a logical solution to me. I don't understand the prejudices against naval travel.

Guess that depends on how many stretch goals wie achieve in the last 48 hours. But there is a chance that PoE2 is going to be the most successful Fig campaign. Since this announcement, the counter is running faster. By tommorrow it should have passed 3.5 million. Psychonauts 2 was at 3.8 mio.

Well the stretch goal about ship upgrades is nearing fast, then uncharted islands and soon after that whole new ship types… :)

Last edited:
Guess that depends on how many stretch goals wie achieve in the last 48 hours. But there is a chance that PoE2 is going to be the most successful Fig campaign. Since this announcement, the counter is running faster. By tommorrow it should have passed 3.5 million. Psychonauts 2 was at 3.8 mio.

The FIG funds are on reservation right now, that means they already have more than the cap ($2.25m), they just need to valid the remaining $500k which brings us at almost $4m…

Without the FIG funds, it would have barely crossed $2m though.

So Can i avoid these special encounters? I don't like ship battles, don't want ship battles and don't want to play dress up my boat.

I know I sound harsh but I really hate ship crap. Honestly I hate the whole home base thing. If I dismiss a companion they should have a life to live not just sit around waiting for me to ask them back. Same thing is bugging me in D:OS, "hey I don't need you anymore", " oh, ok. I'll just sit at the tavern then for eternity in case you need me again". Yuck!

Anyway if the ship plays too big of a part I'll be out on POE2.

It's no secret that I was a great fan of Storm of Zehir and its overland map feature. It brought some dynamic features while the original game was quite static. If it's similiar in PoE2, I already like it. A ship sounds a logical solution to me. I don't understand the prejudices against naval travel.

Likwise.

I still ain't pledging due to my lack of faith in Obsidian after PoE 1's launch mess, but not exactly sure why this update is getting all this flack. People just love to complain about things outside their well-worn comfort zones.

Likwise.

I still ain't pledging due to my lack of faith in Obsidian after PoE 1's launch mess, but not exactly sure why this update is getting all this flack. People just love to complain about things outside their well-worn comfort zones.

Gamers can be a very fickle bunch. They often just plain don't like change or anything new that differs from what they are used to. Anyway, I think the ship section sounds pretty cool and just adds a new dimension to the gameplay. I think that looking for new locations at sea, and upgrading the ship could be a fun addiction.

Back
Top Bottom