Kenshi - Open Ended, Squad Based Strategy RPG

Sounds ok... But I'm still hoping for a real X-Com kind of game with full cooperative multiplayer one day...

...There are no fantasy-knock-off cliches...
Yep, except that sword from final fantasy the main guy uses to bring down a whole army all by himself...

And a big thumb down for the attitude. That guy really goes from *inspired by X-Com* to *it's real time combat* to *because TB is stupid*? I don't get that logic. Strip the TB combat from X-Com and what are you left with? On the other hand if the combat missions are all that is left it'd still be a magnificent game. The TB combat missions are the distinguishing part. How on earth can X-Com inspire a real-time war game/RTS/samurai combat simulator developed by a guy that hates TB combat with a passion? Are there going to be UFOs? Does not compute.

Just to let you know X-Com Apocalypse had both a real-time and turn-based mode unlike the first 2 games.

In apocalypse I was using real-time for easy missions and turn-based for the more difficult ones. Wasn't exactly perfect, but it worked well enough.

Squadbased but realtime doesnt click for me. If I had the mad micro skillz demanded from games like Starcraft 2 or Men of War, fine, but I don't. Lets put it this way, my mind is tactically willing, but my body cant keep up.

Re: "Oriental", I was under the impression you can call objects,nouns, etc oriental, but when referring to people, more acceptable to use asian.

but you live in taiwan so that works. most of the orient/asia is the developing world. only japan which is not in the east or orient but an island nation in the pacific, so they could be called pacific islander even before asian, is a developed nation like most of the western world.

by the way lucky day latin is a dead language;) so i'm pretty sure looking to latin for an accurate word probably isn't the best—lets all start gaming in dos again. also maybe you should keep reading the wikipedia page. maybe we should call australians orientals too?

sorry guys but it's an offensive outdated term any way you look at except maybe in countries with no people that would be from that demographic. i agree the orient is a cool word but that conjures up mainland asia with images of the silk trade and mongol hordes. so from a historic vantage yes its cool but again samurai are from japan, and its only being political correctness when its not bloody you or "your people".

if you have wives or girlfriends ask them if they liked being called missy or little miss. its not hateful but condescending, and outdated much like calling all people who look asian—oriental.

i'll shut up now as the game is downloaded and i'm going to try it out and i know neither of you mean offensive but still i'm going to voice my opinion when things/words like that grind me like nails on a chalkboard.

Many words in a variety of languages are derived from Latin, so Latin lives in modern languages. Anyway, let me know what your impressions of the game are. I really want to try it out but I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment and I don't want to delve into something that could frustrate me. If it's as awesome as it looks in the trailer (while keeping in mind that it is still alpha), I will find a way to make some time for it.

Some of you guys are really hard on this guy for some of the things he said on his site. Chill out, the guy is an indie developer, he is focusing on what he thinks is cool and interesting. We can still play his game and our archaic, old fart turn-based games.

Last edited:
The real time combat in apocalyspe was pretty bad though. Like Skavenhorde said you'd use it to make easy missions less boring but otherwise it really wasn't very x-com like. Games that have both real time and turn based combat usually end up half-assing them both, and I don't remember apocalypse being an exception there. I remember it was possible in turn based combat to fire your gun and immediately move forward, hitting yourself with the just fired bullet. This was because there were still elements of the real time engine in the turn based engine.

the problem with the term Asian is it also includes India, which is really a sub-continent. Europe is a sub-continent of Asia too but no one I know acknowledges Europeans as Asian..except in the Far East of Russia (not including Vladivostok).

Many words in a variety of languages are derived from Latin, so Latin lives in modern languages.

thanks, was going to say about the same thing.

--

this game also reminds me of the Myth series

$10 paid, and hopefully I will find time to give it a try in the weekend. I would really appriciate another Mount & Blade (which for me was the game of the year when it was released).

I really want to support this game, but the text is too damn small. I have a little bit of a vision problem and games like this or, say, the latest Total War are just too much of a labor for me, and it sucks the fun right out of it. :p

Back
Top Bottom