Skyrim - Quakecon Preview Overload

Their dungeons haven't been random-generated since Daggerfall.

But I seem to recall a quote somewhere saying they went from 1 "dungeon guy" in Oblivion to something like 8 for Skyrim.

Not sure if that's true or not, but that's what I heard.

yes, Oblivion had one guy working part time on nearly 200 dungeons (part of his time was spent working on the Waterfront and poorer districts of each of the cities).

Skyrim has a team of 8 working full time on 150 or so dungeons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lchwsINqM

That video made it impossible for me to resist the hype :)

Pretty much all my complaints about Oblivion seem to have been taken into consideration - and if not fixed, at least they've been dealt with. They're even doing something like what I'm doing with my own game - in terms of letting each skill have its own "talent/perk tree". I take that as a good sign ;)

Those 95 days will seem like an eternity now….

that link no longer works as its been removed from YouTube due to copyright claim's etc.

Where did you get the link from please DArtagnan?

Cruelty begets cruelty:

If I GG the wannabe-dev could fix the gameplay, dungeons and overworld design, writing, story, character ( especially face ) graphics, sound, bugs, AI, level scaling and balancing issues, loot problems, character development, guided and boring quests that will be in Tactica: Maiden of Bitchiness it might be a great game. Of course, I'd have to stop bitching about Oblivion and actually work on my game for a change, but what fun would that be?

I agree with nearly everyone else in the whole thread; it really sounds like Skyrim will improve on the multi-million seller Oblivion. They've at least listened to the criticism of their earlier games. Will we love everything in Skyrim? I doubt it, but I give them credit for at least trying to make changes to something that was ludicrously profitable for them. They didn't have to. Oblvion II would have sold millions too.

that link no longer works as its been removed from YouTube due to copyright claim's etc.

Where did you get the link from please DArtagnan?

I just searched for it on Youtube… Sadly, it seems like they've removed all videos from YT.

You can find it as a torrent, though, so just look around :)

I agree with nearly everyone else in the whole thread; it really sounds like Skyrim will improve on the multi-million seller Oblivion.

FO3 already did, in many ways. Oblivion is not their latest RPG, people seem to forget this..

Hope their new engine and LOD system is much better than in FO and Oblivion, it's the biggest fault with the old engine imo. Regenerating LOD for Fallout takes many weeks, AND on top of that, it looks pretty bad (+ the editor can crash when waiting for the LOD generation = much fun.)

In that presentation video (360 version) you could see that the engine still stutters when it loads new cells, hopefully it will not be noticeable at all on a fast PC.

I'm trying not to jump in the hype train yet, but if this is true
even minor NPCs have much more complexity and depth compared with Oblivion
and I hope it is true, then I can forgive them for removing attributes.

"you can learn Alchemy by trial and error, tasting unknown ingredients or making potions with unknown effects"

Interesting. I wonder if the recipes will be random or fixed? Random would mean you can't just look them up on GameFaqs but fixed recipes tend to make a lot more sense. Or maybe they can partially randomize them?

Well, whatever the case, I'm NOT giving in to the hype! I.. must let the modders have time to mod… must resist… I am a Keeper of the Unhyped Flame… your trailers will not avail you, Tõd Hõvvaadd! You! Cannot! Preorder!!

I'm gonna buy two copies and drive one across state to ya, Zloth :) You underestimate the power of the Scrolls! Oops, now they're gonna sue me too :D

Not reading this because I want to be surprised, but happy to read all the positive responses.

As bad as Oblivion could be it was still worth $50 to me just for exploring it and hacking n' slashing, so I'm not worried about paying up-front for Skyrim.

Well, whatever the case, I'm NOT giving in to the hype! I.. must let the modders have time to mod… must resist… I am a Keeper of the Unhyped Flame… your trailers will not avail you, Tõd Hõvvaadd! You! Cannot! Preorder!!

I'll no doubt buy it within that first week, but I have no plans to play it immediately.

Ever since Oblivion, Bethesda games have needed time to mature before I could fully enjoy them. (The right mods :))

Rather than play Skyrim immediately and be frustrated by things I'd like to change about it, I'm going to wait until the mod community has done their work. That will also give me the opportunity to do the replay of Morrowind that I've been craving, and to give Oblivion another chance after all these years.

I'll no doubt buy it within that first week, but I have no plans to play it immediately.

Ever since Oblivion, Bethesda games have needed time to mature before I could fully enjoy them. (The right mods :))

Rather than play Skyrim immediately and be frustrated by things I'd like to change about it, I'm going to wait until the mod community has done their work. That will also give me the opportunity to do the replay of Morrowind that I've been craving, and to give Oblivion another chance after all these years.

This is August - you still have time to play Morrowind and Oblivion before November.

For Oblivion, I highly recommend: FCOM, Duke Patricks (all of the Duke mods including Hypothermia and Combat Magic), Deadly Reflex, Better Cities, Tamriel NPCs Revamped, Midas Magic, Oblivifall Losing My Religion, Giskard's Necromancer Mod, Origin of the Mages' Guild, Fighter's Guild Contracts, Gold Horse Courier, Lore Dialogue 300, Myths and Legends, OBGEv2, Qarl's, Ashes to Ashes, Unique Landscapes, Atmospheric Oblivion, AWLS, Symphony of Violence, Oblivion Stereo Sound Overhaul, COBL Real Hunger, Real Thirst, Real Sleep Extended, Oblivifall Let's Talk and Enhanced Economy

Significant mods take a looooong time to mature, in my experience. If people intend to play with mods for Skyrim, I strongly recommend sticking to the most basic kind - or be prepared for a long wait (at least 3-6 months).

I'll play Skyrim on day one - because I always want the "pure" experience first and foremost. Bethesda tend to overlook some big stuff when they create games, but they've always provided deeply immersive games despite their flaws.

Not only that, but looking deeper - I get the sense that Skyrim is the first TES game where they've taken "the finer things" seriously. I love how they seem to have expanded upon areas like crafting, character mechanics, and puzzles. Going by previews, they're not just afterthoughts this time.

I'd have sworn I wouldn't get hyped for another TES - but this game has just replaced Risen 2 as my most expected after DE:HR.

Actually, I think it just might be my number 1 wanted game right now ;)

Call me naive - but it's a nice feeling to get hyped a bit again.

Sure, but it comes with one hell of a hangover

This is August - you still have time to play Morrowind and Oblivion before November.

Not a chance. :)

I don't get back from vacation until August 23rd, the same day Deus Ex: HR is released. I also already have plans to play through Divinity II: DKS after that.

Thanks for the mod suggestions, but I don't think I'll be going with that many mods, and I don't like mods that add fan-made items and quests to the game. I plan on just using a good hi-res texture mod and Francescos leveling mod, along with a few minor tweaks.

Did anyone download the mediafire file? Was it spoilerific?
Yes, I did. Yes, I'd say it is, but not overly so. The file is exactly the same as the YouTube video (shakeycam filmed in Quakecon and has the same sound problems from c. 25 min onwards). I didn't feel it spoiled much at all, it contained only the most generic plot details and the rest is about the new engine, the interface, the basics of combat and spells, and so on. Interesting stuff that I wouldn't consider too spoilerish, you're bound to have heard/seen the plot-related spoilers already. That said, if you want to be 100% unspoiled, then don't watch it.

Speaking of the Quakecom video, I must say it was pretty good (not counting the audience which started to annoy me after about 5 minutes) and informative. I was really sceptic about the interface when I first heard about it, with its star-gazing and whatnot, but must confess I kinda liked it. Have to try it out on the PC before I can say if I actually like it, of course, but it doesn't look half as bad as I feared.

The inventory's item manipulation looks sweet, loved the opening notes and books. Really like the detail they have put on items, now that they can all be rotated and examined closely (bonus points for the plants/herbs with their roots and all). Also, nice to see you can go Gothic/Arx with the foods and cook them for better effects for eating them. The simulationist in me is really happy. Now all I need is a mod like the Necessities in Morrowind or a Hardcore mode like in FO:NV.

NPCs seem better, but sadly there wasn't that much NPC interaction in the video (not surprising with an audience screaming, "kill him!" for every NPC around). Fortunately the persuasion wheel/minigame is gone and good riddance! It was horrible. DOn't know how they've implemented persuasion now, if they have it in at all. Thankfully the extreme close up view of NPCs when talking to them is gone. Also, it seems the game world doesn't stop (i.e. time stops around you) when in conversation, which is good. The village looked much better (organic, lived in) than the ones in Oblivion and thank heavens the NPCs don't look as awful as in Oblivion. Beth promised they've used more voice actors this time, let's hope that's true.

Combat looks to be somewhat improved. Hard to say without trying it myself. At least there's more weight behind the strikes now and the animations look better. No more dancing on ice, it seems.

Oh well, I try not to get hyped, but I'm very eagerly awaiting 11.11.11.

I watched the video without sound here at work. Downloaded the torrent file at home and tried watching it with sound - and immediately wanted to slaughter the audience personally. Couldn't get past 5 minutes....

I highly recommend watching it without sound - and you'll avoid more spoilers that way.

I do really like the movement to a category/tree type menu system. That will be very speedy to navigate on a keyboard and mouse using direction (WASD) keys and a scroll wheel. That is it will be much better than a tab based menu system as was used in Oblivion - high standard for improvement i know.

Back
Top Bottom