|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

June 11th, 2018, 00:27
I've watched the first two episodes of the Strike series, that is based on the Cuckoo's Calling novel, written by Robert Gailbraith, aka Joanne Rowling. Fine casting and exceptional stories, if you enjoy detective dramas this could be right up your alley.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 00:48
Why why why. No, not Delilah.
I'm not sure what's worse this year. Cancellations of superb shows or changing the format so it stinks.

The 4th season of How to Get Away with Murder is a total letdown.
From fast paced show with twists, turns and deliberate pulling viewers' nose while intelligently poking the law system, someone somehow ordered the show's recent season needs to slap all fans and drive them away.
Every season has a murder involved directly or indirectly with the cast, till the recent one. I'm not saying noone dies, I'm saying noone related to characters does. Whoever is dead, it'll spawn an "epic" battle against the prison system in USA or whatever.
Instead of continuation of the brilliant court crime thriller, the fourth season was turned into a disgusting political pamphlet that does absolutely everything wrong. They should have renamed it into "how to get away with bullshit".
If you've watched first three outstanding seasons, prepare for disappointment with the fourth one.

I'm not saying I cannot stand shows that are about confrontation with racism, historical atrocities and other stuff, in fact I love those things. I've even suggested one such gem: Longmire.
Maybe you don't know. Longmire was cancelled after it's third season on A&E, I guess because it was too provocative. Netflix saved it and it got two more seasons with a proper ending.
What do you mean you still didn't watch it?! Go, now! See? Hollywood can still make good shows, it's not all plain junk.

But there is another provocative show out there, not widely known. It dares to slap different prejudices in an original way - the protagonists are common loosers who are trying to do something good, but as with real life, they just can't beat destiny.
Please, do me a favor. Please watch Hap and Leonard before you die and tell me if I'm right saying it's one of the most interesting shows in this decade.
This show got cancelled after three seasons. Reason? It was too provocative, I bet. Shame on you Sundance TV.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 16:57
From a reliable source, I'm hearing that the Deadwood movie for HBO may finally be locked down quite soon. That would be, like, the best television news I've personally heard in years!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 11th, 2018, 18:56
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Anyone here caught Impulse set in the Jumper universe?

ahhhh, No

and the book series is one of my favs and I even liked the movie.

Wiki shows this season with 10 episodes but the four book series is multi generation so it looks like they are sticking close to book 1.

Had no idea they were doing a series. But Oh oh, the show is on YouTube premium.
If I can deny CBS all access with Star Trek, I can deny YouTube with Impulse

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

June 12th, 2018, 18:07
I started Babylon 5 myself a little over a year ago, and am now nearing the end of season 4. First 3 seasons are ace, got a little burnt about halfway season 4 so it's been on hiatus, but I'm trying to pick it up again.

As an avid fan of DS9 myself (best Trek show IMHO) I have to say I would rate B5 slightly higher. Even though I feel like DS9 aged slightly better and has slightly better characters, I really dig B5's grand, overarching storyline so far.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 17th, 2018, 10:20
It's been a little less than year since I watched DS9 and 16 months since I watched B5. Both excellent TV series from the 1990s. In fact I would say that they are "one" of the few TV series from that era that I still watch fairly regularly (say every 3 years).

I did try to read the continuation of DS9 but gave up after the first book. The ending of the TV series DS9 felt right. Everything, no matter how good, finally ends and for those of us that worked in good teams you will know what I mean.
Agree that B5 had the better storyline.

regards

SleepingDog

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 17th, 2018, 10:57
Well, I just watched the pilot of Star Trek (Original) and it was certainly much better than TNG, for me. Although all of the things they saw must have looked completely ridiculous to the actors, they actually seemed immersed. I felt like the first few episodes of TNG, the actors looked like they would be bursting out in laughter after saying what they had said. (probably isn't the case, but it was cringe-worthy to me )

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

June 18th, 2018, 00:48
Joxer, I think you might enjoy the show In Contempt. It's a 10 part legal show which addresses some major controversial issues quite well. Give it a try if you can find it, took me awhile.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 18th, 2018, 15:01
Currently seems not possible. If I'm right Bet* doesn't have it's own streaming site and the only other service airing it legally currently is directv which doesn't operate in my area (again, stupid geoblocking).
I'll add it on "to watch" list though, it's still new show and as such usually when finishes airing on it's source network, "normal" channels license the show and put it on.

Wait, but… It's not australian show!! Arrrrgh!!
I need more stuff like Old School!! Desperately.

[EDIT]
Wait again… I see on Old School link imdb hinting on Jack Irish tv show. Saw it as a movie somewhere, but skipped it. Any good?
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; June 18th, 2018 at 15:13.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Yesterday, 16:48
Saw the last episode of the Strike series, and they did a really good job with it. Instead of filler and stretching it out to five or six episodes( or even more), they kept it to three and the story remained tight the entire time. The television format I never find nearly as satisfying as the novel base, but this one comes pretty darn close. I'm hoping they give the following books the same treatment, and keep the series going for a bit.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread