RPG Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer at GDC Europe 2016

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
There was a long and somewhat interesting interview with Josh Sawyer posted on RPGCodex:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10493

I found this part of particular interest:

"Will you implement more noncombat content in the next game?

"I think a broader set of skills with more noncombat applications overall. I can do a whole talk on skills in a party-based game. It's a challenge because it's very easy to have skills that feel redundant, it's very easy to have skills that have a personal benefit but no party benefit or party benefit but other people can't contribute to it, so it's hard to come up with a spread of skills that feel like you can invest in them all the same way with the same pool of skill points. Obviously it doesn't need to be perfect, but you're not just doing something stupid like hey I have three lock picking characters. Great, that's a huge waste of skill points. If you have three characters that have lore, then everyone can read scrolls and they all benefit from that. I always have three characters in my Pillars parties who can read scrolls.

"One thing I don't feel good about in our skill spread is that because there's a small number of skills, it's hard for those skills to make each character feel distinctive. For example, there's just lore, that's everything. I think having a larger skill set, as long as you can actually support it in the game, it allows you to feel like my character doesn't just know about lore, he knows about metaphysics or she knows about arcana. In D&D you can clearly delineate that I'm the expert in this thing, so it's a role playing thing. As long as you can make the game content use that in a way that feels satisfying and not frustrating like a waste of skill points, then that's cool. I'm always looking for ways to improve, because I recognize that people weren't too happy with the spread of skills that we had in Pillars."

Eh? Sounds like he wants to call for truce with the grognards.

Need to get back to Zehir, played a little of it, but liked what they did with skills there.

Skills in BG/IWD weren't really good, either. I like NWN's implementation of skills but I missed THAC0 and the "lower number is better" AC from 2nd Ed.

NWN has a bunch of cool skills, IMO. Still pen-and-paper style but has quite a lot of options and you have to decide what to improve upon each level up, giving you something more to do when you level up.

Geez, who in the heck cares what this stiff has to say ?

???

This interview is excellent.
I'll be really surprised if Pillars of Eternity 2 won't deliver at least to the same extent Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas did.

Please no PoE2, let this die ! PoE is still 1/2 finished on my HD. What a yawn that game was. Talk about ramming contrived lore down a player's throat in the first 5 minutes of gameplay - huge turn-off right off the bat. Grew quickly bored with the crappy combat, and horrible itemization. What overrated crap !

Back
Top Bottom