Shores Unknown - First Impressions

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Turnbased Lovers have some first impressions on the turn-based strategy RPG Shores Unknown.

In regard to the combat phase I would make a preliminary remark: even if the game is tagged as "turn-based", in "Shores Unknown" the fights are different from any other game I've ever played.

First thing first, the fights are divided into two distinct phases: during the first one, you can give to your mercenaries your orders like attack, defend, use a skill and so on; instead, during the second phase, you can watch the results of your choices, like in an action movie.

But that's not all. As you may have noticed, from my description, during the combat, among your available actions, there isn't the possibility to move your characters. The game, indeed, manage to automatically move your units. This feature has a dual purpose: on one hand, it tries to make the fights more easy and fast to manage; on the other hand, there is the evident intention of the developer to give a more spectacular cut to the combat phase.
This is an interesting and - somehow - brave design choice, but, at the moment, there is a downside: the line of movement of your men is not always very clear. The result is that sometimes is not so simple to achieve a side or a rear attack.
Thanks Andrea.

More information.

Other's might enjoy this game but I can't get past the graphics. Yes that's shallow of me but as the younger generation of my family once said "whatever". Moving on now.:movingon:

Never heard of this game before, I'd like to see a gameplay video.

Never heard of this game before, I'd like to see a gameplay video.
Here you go:

I think I'm with Grognard - I don't find the graphic style appealing personally.

Other's might enjoy this game but I can't get past the graphics. Yes that's shallow of me but as the younger generation of my family once said "whatever". Moving on now.:movingon:

Speak for yourself, I find that style sexy.
All I need to hear the game is rated M and I'm buying. If not, well, sorry no bonus.

Well I could say something nasty about your taste but won't. As it could be turned right back at me as well. Anyway enjoy your blocky cell-shaded 1990's graphics. I await your review.:biggrin:

ss_1632325c4430bbd339e49d51f7f427b083e195a0.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go:

I think I'm with Grognard - I don't find the graphic style appealing personally.

Thank you for sharing the video!

Back
Top Bottom