The TV Series discussion thread

finished the Defenders. Grade B

The early story line of them being reluctant to get together seemed way to writery to me and not organic. It just wasn't compelling. However when they finally got together and squared off against the bad guys, I was like a kid in a candy shop. The main story line could have used another episode. That was a significant baddie they took down and they deserved better.

Did they ever really explain how New York would sink if they removed the bones? Seemed like they rushed through the most important part of the story.

Tied up Daredevil and Iron Fist storylines, Luke and Jessica not so much. I like Luke a lot but he reminds me of Worf in StarTrek. The strongest guy in the room but when push comes to shove, not reliable.

Character Impressions

Jessica
She had the best lines in the series in particular calmly telling the guys to hurry up as she is holding up a wrecked elevator car. Or asking Luke if he might want to get some coffee sometime. Or getting into a minor scuffle and making the loud complaint "Damn, does everybody in New York know Kung Fu?

Luke
Probably the most centered of the bunch. He should be the leader. I love it when some body does some fancy Kung fu on Luke and they just bounce off him.

Daredevil
Respect him, but for some uncanny reason I don't like him - even after this third series. Still, an awesome and convincing fighter, far outshining Iron First and Electra

IronFist
Another unlikeable character. I remember one line from a character complaining about him saying, "Hey, he tells everyone he's the iron fist". When he had scenes with Luke he seemed a more real, more likeable character. He will work in well as a team member

Remember the spoiler tags.
My main problem with the defenders (not the series, but the characters) is that they're too overlapping. It's like an RPG where everybody is a warrior.
Iron Fist: Martial Arts with a special ability that makes the fist hit hard, so basically same as a fist from Luke Cage or Jessica Jones.
Daredevil: Martial Arts with super-hearing (this is the best character and with variety).
Jessica Jones: Strong brawler.
Luke Cage: Strong brawler with invulnerability.

So basically Iron Fist and Jessica Jones are lesser versions of the other characters. Also, all fights become basically a group brawl. Even Arrow has more dynamic fights where each combatant has different abilities.

I think Twin Peaks has gotten the one good ending we're likely to see, with Ed and Norma. The rest is likely to be a riproaring epic death-capade, with bodies hitting the floor left and right. The Hutch duo is on a roll, and should they encounter Dougie in his current form, I suspect he'll be history. Should Dougie live, I think his wife and child may not.

And now you have the doppleganger and his son together, nothing good can come out of that. For the last few episodes I thought Audrey's story might start to make more sense, but that one could still go a number of ways. The summer of Twin Peaks is almost over, and we shall likely never see its like again ever on television. /Mourn.

Twin Peaks is starting to piss me off with some of the more nonsensical characters, the last episode was really bad (or i wasn't in the mood for Twin Peaks..)

A fan cut of this will do wonders.

Yeah, I've been pretty disappointed with TP overall. He'll need to do something fantastic with the last few episodes to redeem it for me.

Remember the spoiler tags.
My main problem with the defenders (not the series, but the characters) is that they're too overlapping. It's like an RPG where everybody is a warrior.
Iron Fist: Martial Arts with a special ability that makes the fist hit hard, so basically same as a fist from Luke Cage or Jessica Jones.
Daredevil: Martial Arts with super-hearing (this is the best character and with variety).
Jessica Jones: Strong brawler.
Luke Cage: Strong brawler with invulnerability.

So basically Iron Fist and Jessica Jones are lesser versions of the other characters. Also, all fights become basically a group brawl. Even Arrow has more dynamic fights where each combatant has different abilities.

Yeah, that's why I'm interested. Totally overbalanced in strength. Literally, "It's clobbering time". The special effects in the fight scenes are great, I just love when they toss people onto the ceiling with the flip of a finger. I mean sheeez did you see the guns on Daredevil in that last scene????

As far as side kicks. Clair is a super cleric, she a great healer (one episode makes that clear in this series)
But the others????
Iron Fists' side kick is basically Robin (Capable but still Junior)
And the Jessica radio personality buddy is ummmm . . . Jimmy Olsen (will always need to be saved)
And Daredevils' side kick, Electra is basically Smallvilles Lex Luther (The seduction of the dark side)

and please no hatin' on my DC upbringing

The Mist was just released today on Netflix. I liked the movie (haven't read the book) and the story is especially intriguing, since a lot of the plot was an inspiration for Half-Life, so i'm interested to see how the series turns out.

I just checked out the first two episodes. The mist is definitely not the worst scifi / horror series i've watched. I would say it is much better than Under the dome (UTD) if I had to compare it to an other less successfull King adaption, but then again UTD was so abysmally bad and dumb that it ain't a big a feat to beat it.

So is the mist worth of your time? Well… It depends on whether you have anything better to watch or to do. You could easily waste several hours watching this and likely have a decent time, but I'm not just sure whether the payback ends up being worth of all the spent hours.

Like one can derive from the show's tittle, the series is very much concerned with what lurks in the mist, and the first two episodes I watched operate mainly to make you wonder what other gross stuff will come out of it.

As for main characters in this series, they are quite typical and well proven archetypes. You will encounter your typical set of small town citizens. So every Stephen King fan should feel at home quite fast. Ofcourse I'm saying this only after watching just two episodes. So maybe it is too early to say than they can't surprise you. I'm just not holding my breath to see that happen.

Even though I haven't watched it very far, I think the point of this series is how the mist makes the characters react; how fear of the unknown can drive instinctual reactions, and how those reactions reveal the true nature of these characters. There is ofcourse the obvious horror mystery: what the hell is causing the mist, but I think the series is more about fear, and how people deal with fear. If you have read King's books, this is quite a typical theme in his books.

So yeah I think I'll be skipping this series for now atleast. If people start praising it, maybe I'll give it an other shot.

Thanks for telling us the Mist was available on Netflix, we watched the first three episodes last night. I think the beginning seems quite weak, but we've nothing else to watch so we might muddle through the rest, and just hope they improve.

I tried watching it a couple of times. It think it's absolutely terrible. I love the movie and the short story, though.

I really liked the movie, which I thought mixed up B-movie genre stuff with interesting ideas about the collision of science and faith. If the series isn't all that, it will probably piss me off.

Predictions for tonight on Twin Peaks....Diane will either be in jail or dead after tonight, imo. She'll either come clean or be found out. The original Cooper will be in Twin Peaks or heading there at some point tonight. As for what happens with Jane and Sonny Jim, I just don't see them getting a happy finish. Hmmm bad Cooper and his kid, I think his kid will get killed, maybe by a sheriff. And the Hutch duo will die in either some freak incident or the FBI will slaughter them both.

On Thrones, I've thought for the last two seasons that the missing Targaryen male might be Jon, I suspect that will be proven out tonight, not only making him Targaryen but legitimate. Sam and Bran might get together and compare notes, and that will answer that. I think the end will be either the wall being defeated or seeing an actual snowfall in King's Landing, or maybe both. Oh, and Petyr will be killed or imprisoned, I'm going with dead because the North doesn't tend to keep people around for trials. Sansa has enough dirt on him to see him ended, one way or another.

I love horror but I think it is a genre hard to do for a TV show. At least I know very little shows that do it. First season of American horror story perhaps and I also heard good things about Bates motel. Will definitely try out the mist, I love Stephen king stuff. Just hope they don't drag out the story too much.

7 or 8 September the expanse season 2! 27ish September there is Star trek discovery. On Netflix.

Loving Longmire at the moment

No spoilers on possibly the weakest season of GoT finale?

At least share with us who plan to bingewatch it since it ended - is everything in finale totally predictable as the whole season apparently is or at least one unexpected thing happens to redeem it?

Loving Longmire at the moment

Right? I adore that show.

I think I wrote before. Outcast is drag-o-rama that can be condensed into one movie because nothing happens for ages. Walking Dead copypaste.
Avoid at all costs.

Didn't watch Mist nor AHS. Not enough time for, if I'm to believe others, mediocrity.

Peh, who careas about tension and drama…
Any new boobs? ;)

Enjoyed the GoT finale quit a bit. A lot of tension and drama. And a couple of surprises. :)

It really enjoyed it too. They took time to focus on the characters again instead of rushing the episode.

GoT seems to be morphing in a way I don't like. They're clearly in a rush, hence unconvincing scenarios from last week's episode...maybe they have access to a teleportation network? Also, won't spoil it for others...but the night king's new acquisition is just typically 'hollywood'. Disappointing and predictable (and where did they get 30 tons of large chain from? I suppose it was lying about for just such an emergency...really.)

Back
Top Bottom