I am confused, Japanese developers looked down on Western games

I would say give shadow hearts a try, the battle system is more fun than most J-rpgs and it has a gothic style unusual story…… Lost Odyssey could be a skip… it is very unusual but it has extremly long… and I mean extremly long none playable sequences… even if it is memorable…..

Shin Megami Tensei is also a game I would suggest…. especially the early ones… I love the story… very different from most J-rpgs. In the beginning you walk around in a bar in ropongi in modern tokyo and speak to american soldiers…. how many J-rpgs begin like that?

Well… that's probably because we call them WRPG's but they come from very different countries? But I agree…… the witcher feels like a JRPG to me though :p combat is just about clicking attack more or less...... the main character has long hair... and all girls are fuck objects.... it is more J-rpg than most J-rpgs....

I would say give shadow hearts a try, the battle system is more fun than most J-rpgs and it has a gothic style unusual story…… Lost Odyssey could be a skip… it is very unusual but it has extremly long… and I mean extremly long none playable sequences… even if it is memorable…..

Long sequences of no interaction is another JRPG staple that I despise. Shadow Hearts is a PS2 game, and I got rid of my PS2 some times ago :(

I have Two Worlds to keep me busy for now, but I'll check it out if I get the chance!

Shin Megami Tensei is also a game I would suggest…. especially the early ones… I love the story… very different from most J-rpgs. In the beginning you walk around in a bar in ropongi in modern tokyo and speak to american soldiers…. how many J-rpgs begin like that?

Early JRPGs would probably be more like torture than anything else ;)

Well… that's probably because we call them WRPG's but they come from very different countries? But I agree…… the witcher feels like a JRPG to me though :p combat is just about clicking attack more or less…… the main character has long hair… and all girls are fuck objects…. it is more J-rpg than most J-rpgs….

The point being that Western isn't a single source of inspiration ;)

I don't think The Witcher plays much like the JRPGs I've tried, but it's still not for me.

It'd be interesting to play an RPG made by women, and see the role men would play ;)

I'm guessing they'd be puppy dogs to be trained and you can give them a biscuit for good behavior!

Early JRPGs would probably be more like torture than anything else

There are later version too…. they are also good.. but I found the first one to be extremely cool…. because it was new and fresh.. and very good atmosphere…

The point being that Western isn't a single source of inspiration

I don't think The Witcher plays much like the JRPGs I've tried, but it's still not for me.

It'd be interesting to play an RPG made by women, and see the role men would play

I'm guessing they'd be puppy dogs to be trained and you can give them a biscuit for good behavior!

Well, you can try my friend Amandas indies…. http://www.amaranthia.com/ … just to see what it would be like…. the Aveyond RPG games are made by her... and the yummy drink factory :D

Not all J-rpgs are like that……

It depends on what you mean by "like that". Like I mentioned I have not played any JRPGs because, honestly just looking at screenshots I hate them. I have a strong distaste for the entire 'culture' that includes comic books, movies, games etc. I have several friends that have tried to change my mind by showing me things that supposedly were not "like that" and to me it still seemed 100% "like that".

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land as an example, certainly gives WRPG dungeon crawlers a run for their money. There are several JRPGs which break the stereotype mold out there, though clearly not the majority.

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land as an example, certainly gives WRPG dungeon crawlers a run for their money. There are several JRPGs which break the stereotype mold out there, though clearly not the majority.

I have a copy of W:TotFL, although I've never played very far due to lack of time. It's one of a handful of PS2 RPGs that I'd like to eventually get around to playing.

I really liked the atmosphere from what I saw, and the BGM was excellent.

Other PS2 RPGs that I own, and would like to play someday, are Tales of the Abyss, and Rogue Galaxy.

Long sequences of no interaction is another JRPG staple that I despise.

That's something I looooove. :D JRPGs are meant to be played laid-back. If I get a 20-minute cut-scene, I just enjoy the story. Others would say, if I wanted a story, I'd read a book or watch a movie. Well, who cares what format it's in. I want to be entertained. Many JRPGs also have pretty detailed stories, too.

I reply because Lost Odyssey just came in yesterday (and Alpha Protocol as well) and I'm enjoying it very much. Better than Magna Carta 2 that I was played before. I will have to stop that game (15 hours in)…

I only wonder if I still have the stomach to handle the random encounters…

That's something I looooove. :D JRPGs are meant to be played laid-back. If I get a 20-minute cut-scene, I just enjoy the story. Others would say, if I wanted a story, I'd read a book or watch a movie. Well, who cares what format it's in. I want to be entertained. Many JRPGs also have pretty detailed stories, too.

Which reminds me what I've heard of ME & ME2 … Is this (ME) actually kind of an western RPG using kind of JRPG layout ? Don't know how I could put it into words ...

I wouldn't say an RPG with lots of cut-scenes is automatically in a JRPG format... which is a silly thing to say in the first place, since there are many different kinds of JRPG. Not sure that they can all be described as linear combat-cut-scene-combat-etc.

I love how good JRPGs are able to put down a good atmosphere with simple mechanics such as text cut-scenes and video, though. There's some good writing in Lost Odyssey's dream sequences!

I reply because Lost Odyssey just came in yesterday (and Alpha Protocol as well) and I'm enjoying it very much. Better than Magna Carta 2 that I was played before. I will have to stop that game (15 hours in)…

I only wonder if I still have the stomach to handle the random encounters…

I guess you're the kind of man who enjoys it, when lying naked in bed with a pretty girl - and you're about to get "down to business", and then she starts going on about her family and what kind of furniture she wants for the living room.

Me, I like to interact when I'm interacting. Give me cutscenes only when they will be a better alternative to interaction. To tell a story properly, you need the proper "flow". To me, that flow isn't constant interruptions. That's called frustration ;)

I guess you're the kind of man who enjoys it, when lying naked in bed with a pretty girl - and you're about to get "down to business", and then she starts going on about her family and what kind of furniture she wants for the living room.

Me, I like to interact when I'm interacting. Give me cutscenes only when they will be a better alternative to interaction. To tell a story properly, you need the proper "flow". To me, that flow isn't constant interruptions. That's called frustration ;)

Pfah, bad comparison. That would be because I don't want to hear about her damn family and furniture preferences. However, if she'd be talking about things I would enjoy listening to, I could go at it for a while, listen, go at it again and listen again all night long. ;)

It doesn't mean there is no interaction at all or only at the most frustrating moments, at least to me.

It appears that we play games for very different reasons. Or at least, I play different kinds of games for different reasons. I finished Gears of War 2 recently and in that kind of game, I want to shoot stuff to a bloody pulp. A 20-minute cut-scene would be frustrating there. I play a JRPG in a completely different mode. My adrenaline is not pumping and I can handle clicking through 10 minutes of text.

Which is exactly what I did yesterday with some of those excellent dream sequences.

Pfah, bad comparison. That would be because I don't want to hear about her damn family and furniture preferences. However, if she'd be talking about things I would enjoy listening to, I could go at it for a while, listen, go at it again and listen again all night long. ;)

Haha, ok then ;)

Sounds pretty good, but I think I'm too old for all-nighters :(

It appears that we play games for very different reasons. Or at least, I play different kinds of games for different reasons. I finished Gears of War 2 recently and in that kind of game, I want to shoot stuff to a bloody pulp. A 20-minute cut-scene would be frustrating there. I play a JRPG in a completely different mode. My adrenaline is not pumping and I can handle clicking through 10 minutes of text.

Well, it's hard to say. I think it has to do with the AMOUNT of interruptions and the NATURE of them. I don't mind cutscenes at key points in the game, but when it's the rule - rather than the exception, it's just frustrating - especially if it's about teenage spikey hair kids bitching about a lack of flowers, with crappy text-based dialogue.

Sounds pretty good, but I think I'm too old for all-nighters :(

You're NEVER too old for all-nighters! ;)

Well, it's hard to say. I think it has to do with the AMOUNT of interruptions and the NATURE of them. I don't mind cutscenes at key points in the game, but when it's the rule - rather than the exception, it's just frustrating - especially if it's about teenage spikey hair kids bitching about a lack of flowers, with crappy text-based dialogue.

Haha, well, corny as it was, I enjoyed the story and dialogue in Final Fantasy 9 very much and I remember much of it to this day--even though it was mostly low-res sprites with text and some pretty cool for the time CG video without speech. I see it as a story or movie that goes on for 50 hours. It may not be of the highest quality, but it's entertaining (to me) and it lasts a really long time! And, be honest, after a few hours of random encounters, you'll be BEGGING for a cut-scene, haha!

That's not really helping my case, is it? :p

You're NEVER too old for all-nighters! ;)

Being somewhat bored with extended sex sessions, isn't a good sign - is it? :'(

Haha, well, corny as it was, I enjoyed the story and dialogue in Final Fantasy 9 very much and I remember much of it to this day—even though it was mostly low-res sprites with text and some pretty cool for the time CG video without speech. I see it as a story or movie that goes on for 50 hours. It may not be of the highest quality, but it's entertaining (to me) and it lasts a really long time! And, be honest, after a few hours of random encounters, you'll be BEGGING for a cut-scene, haha!

That's not really helping my case, is it? :p

Don't feel bad. My brother is constantly going on about how great they are for the story, and how intricate the combat systems are.

Every time he tries to demonstrate, the only thing I feel is a vomit-inducing sensation in my stomach ;)

Being somewhat bored with extended sex sessions, isn't a good sign - is it? :'(

Not really. Maybe you are the kind of person that needs an ever bigger thrill. Try role-playing with you as a spikey-haired sixteen-year-old angst-ridden teen with an oversized, er, "sword" and her as a scantily-clad big-eyed child woman with a high-pitched annoying voice and bunny ears. It might just work!!

Don't feel bad. My brother is constantly going on about how great they are for the story, and how intricate the combat systems are.

Every time he tries to demonstrate, the only thing I feel is a vomit-inducing sensation in my stomach ;)

Some of those combat systems are pretty intricate, though. Not like the Western RPGs with a ton of spells to choose from, but the actual mechanics. But, oh well. Different strokes, etc.!

Not really. Maybe you are the kind of person that needs an ever bigger thrill. Try role-playing with you as a spikey-haired sixteen-year-old angst-ridden teen with an oversized, er, "sword" and her as a scantily-clad big-eyed child woman with a high-pitched annoying voice and bunny ears. It might just work!!

There's an idea ;)

Nah, basically, I tend to get too emotionally involved with my women - resulting in me having difficulty "using" them in accordance with my "beastly" desires - even if they might want me to ;)

Haha, too much info, I know!

Some of those combat systems are pretty intricate, though. Not like the Western RPGs with a ton of spells to choose from, but the actual mechanics. But, oh well. Different strokes, etc.!

Naturally, and I'm just messing with you.

Would you believe me, if I told you that I had tried getting into them a number of times? I really have.

There's just something fundamentally "wrong" with their approach, from where I'm sitting. Truly a case of differing tastes at the core level.

Haha, too much info, I know!

Sounds like you're a Nice Guy(tm) and that's not a good thing to be! Not very attractive to women, either. You need to get some tattoos immediately, and develop a drug addiction. If you can somehow get a criminal record, too, that is a nice bonus.

Would you believe me, if I told you that I had tried getting into them a number of times? I really have.

There's just something fundamentally "wrong" with their approach, from where I'm sitting. Truly a case of differing tastes at the core level.

I had not even played a JRPG until a girlfriend about five years ago had an old Playstation. The only other game console I had touched before that was pre-Commodore 64. I was blown away by the easy-going nature of console gaming... on a TV screen from the couch! Later, I even connected my PC to the TV, but most PC games aren't very suited for it... fonts are too small.

Sounds like you're a Nice Guy(tm) and that's not a good thing to be! Not very attractive to women, either. You need to get some tattoos immediately, and develop a drug addiction. If you can somehow get a criminal record, too, that is a nice bonus.

Hehe, sounds like it - doesn't it ;)

Not really, though. I'm what you might call a "not normal" guy, but for whatever reason - it seems I'm relatively attractive to women who're into that kind of thing.

I'm also quite the pleaser, so it's rare that THEY are not happy, except on my behalf.

True story!

I had not even played a JRPG until a girlfriend about five years ago had an old Playstation. The only other game console I had touched before that was pre-Commodore 64. I was blown away by the easy-going nature of console gaming… on a TV screen from the couch! Later, I even connected my PC to the TV, but most PC games aren't very suited for it… fonts are too small.

What you're saying, really, is that you're not a real gamer ;)

Nothing to be ashamed of, though!

Not really, though. I'm what you might call a "not normal" guy, but for whatever reason - it seems I'm relatively attractive to women who're into that kind of thing.

Hehe, does that make me the "not normal" guy that women are not relatively attracted to? ;) I probably just need to go out more without drinking so much alcohol.

What you're saying, really, is that you're not a real gamer ;)

Nothing to be ashamed of, though!

Does that mean I won't be able to renew my gamer pass? :( On the plus side, women are generally not that into games!

Well, more Lost Odyssey for me tonight, I guess! :)

Hehe, does that make me the "not normal" guy that women are not relatively attracted to? ;) I probably just need to go out more without drinking so much alcohol.

I "got going", originally through net-dating, and I can recommend it - if you're willing to take the bad aspects of it ;)

Smart guys like us have a good chance when it's not about "standing out" in a crowd of horny dudes who're willing to play the game every which way!

Does that mean I won't be able to renew my gamer pass? :( On the plus side, women are generally not that into games!

Well, more Lost Odyssey for me tonight, I guess! :)

Women are changing and we should be part of it!

I've converted a few already, though I do have a tendency to find women who're already somewhat into gaming :)

Back
Top Bottom