Stuck Pixel

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken
So, I got a swanky new monitor for Christmas and it seems to have a stuck pixel. It's one little red dot that is irritating the heck out of me. Is there some way to fix this, or am I best to seek a monitor exchange?
Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

There's no way to fix it. Unfortunately you may have an uphill battle trying to get an exchange as well, but it's certainly worth a try.

When I was monitor shopping, it seemed that most monitors only guaranteed "less than 5" stuck pixels. As PJ says, you might have a hard time getting that exchanged. I was lucky that my monitor shipped with none. I've got one pixel that gets a little stubborn from time to time, but I can generally massage it into behaving.

If any of these tricks actually work, I'd be very, very interested to hear some first-hand experience of it. I.e., Gallifrey, if you manage to solve the problem, please let me know. I'll (once again) have learned something new. :)

Yeah, I've been reading about the difficulties in getting exchanges with faulty pixels and the apparent "acceptable" number of faulties before a manufacturer will acknowledge a flaw.
I've tried those applications to "energize" a pixel into life but to no avail, and massaging doesn't seem to work either.

Things like this always seem to happen on holidays when I can't contact stores, too.

If any of these tricks actually work, I'd be very, very interested to hear some first-hand experience of it. I.e., Gallifrey, if you manage to solve the problem, please let me know. I'll (once again) have learned something new. :)

Yeah, everything I've read is, of course, very anecdotal and general in nature.
I've had that little applet from the linked website above running for about half an hour now and no change.
For the most part, those assorted programs designed to energize pixels seem like Victorian-era elixirs for all that ails you - they do nothing but waste time and perhaps can cause more damage than they claim to fix.

Last edited:
Well, i personally never tried. From other tech forums some posters did came back raving that the stuck pixel fading away, but unfortunately some stuck with the problem and have had to change the monitor. Probably depend on how serious the defects is.

Edit: more info on dead pixel & stuck pixel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel

I kind of wish it were a proper dead pixel, then it'd just be a black dot which I could easily live with, but this bright red speck is annoying.
That said, given my research on the subject, I think I'll not seek a replacement as I could end up with a monitor with more pixel flaws than just one in a releatively non-instrusive place on the screen. And since it's stuck, not dead, it may correct itself over time.
Still, it's highly obnoxious, and indicative of the lack of quality control or care that goes into manufacturing tech items.

Well, 1 pixel is never a 'fail' in QC, unfortunately ... nor do I think they do 100% inspection. It is highly annoying (have one on my old PSP), but as has been said, the only way to get a replacement is to whine and yell, as a single pixel isn't considered 'bad'.

That's the thing.. If I have to fight a battle to get a replacement, I could end up with a worse situation that's still considered acceptable by "quality" standards.
If the rest of the display didn't look so freaking fantastic I'd just seek a refund and hook my CRT back up.

I bought a Samsung monitor thru Dell 6 mos ago, and it has like 7-10 dead pixels already. I'm totally pissed about it. Granted that yes, they are little tiny specks (except for a glob of 4-5 of them), but still I'm pretty irate. Samsung says I need 15 to qualify for exchange, and Dell says if i had bought one of their monitors they would replace it no problem. Ive never even had a pixel problem with Dell screens anyway, here Ive got this fancy Samsung that Ive got probs with, and my little cheapie Dell is crystal clear no probs.

Guess what type of monitor I'm going to be getting from now on?

Look at it this way Gall, at least you have hope with a "stuck" pixel. I have black ones, theyre flat out dead. Now I can just hope that more die before another 6 mos is up, and I might be able to get it replaced

Last edited:
It's basic problem with LCD panels. In production and QA testing they probably didn't fing the stuck/dead pixel, but the fault could occurs during shipping or when in shop .

Speaking of Dell LCDs, i generally find them to have more attractive style than other brands, and almost pick up the 24" one but that's before seeing the pitiful framerate with high-end video card on large monitor.

That's why I stick with BenQ; have 4 of them in the house and no trouble with any!!

Some old coot from Down Under recommended BenQ to me when I was shopping, and it worked out great for me.

Look at it this way Gall, at least you have hope with a "stuck" pixel. I have black ones, theyre flat out dead. Now I can just hope that more die before another 6 mos is up, and I might be able to get it replaced

Try to massage the still living pixels really hard?

My TFT is from Samsung too, I've had it for maybe two months now, no dead pixels whatsoever. Hope it stays that way...

Gall: Have you already tried the Bit Recylcer? Granted, it's a little old, but in lack of a better alternative.... It was originally designed to recycle old bits, but maybe it works for pixels too. From the manual:
Inside your computer are millions of little bits. Each one of those bits can be a one or a zero and as your computer runs programs each one of these bits changes its state, often thousands of times every second.

Understandably, this puts a lot of pressure on your bits and, after a period of time, some of your bits may start to wear out. At first your bits become a little bit cranky and don't change quite as quickly and after much use they may become worn out on the edges.

The Bit Recycler is designed to reconstitute your bits, making sure that your bits are always in top shape.

I've been using the program for about twelve years now and never had any problems with it.

Last edited:
Insted choosing LCDs based on brand, i would recommend looking into particular panel technology being used (TN, S-IPS, S-PVA which affect color quality, viewing angle), the panel manufactures (Samsung S-PVA vs AUO S-PVA, could different in quality), and warranty coverage (amount of stuck/dead pixels).

Currently Samsung and Dell LCDs always come with slick design - and many buyers recommend Dell because of its warranty...

That really sucks if you painstakingly chose and bought expensive 24" Screen, and several dead pixels occured within days...

Back
Top Bottom