A thought about Knights of the Old Republic

Seriously? Maybe I won't be picking it up after all....
I found the combat in the first game completely devoid of any merit and the combat in the sequel equally pointless, so I'd say they're about the same. However, the writing and NPC interaction did keep me playing KotOR II right to the end. Whether it's worth playing depends on how highly you rate story/NPC interaction as part of the CRPG experience.

I found the combat in the first game completely devoid of any merit and the combat in the sequel equally pointless, so I'd say they're about the same. However, the writing and NPC interaction did keep me playing KotOR II right to the end. Whether it's worth playing depends on how highly you rate story/NPC interaction as part of the CRPG experience.

I was enjoying Kotor 2 until about 60 or 70% of the game, then it all fell apart .

It's still worth playing though if only to experience the different (and imo much better) tone from the 1st game.

To Obsidian's credit they did improve other things besides the story/writing such as the crafting system, added more skill checks than in the original game and also tweaked the influence system so your actions affect your team mates more than in the 1st game and in a less superficial way.

There was/is a fan mod that was being worked on the last few years that was supposed to add a bunch of stuff cut from the game (Obsidian was being rushed by Atari so had to ship an unpolished, practically unfinished game... nothing new), but supposedly it's been held up for bugs... someday we'll see it I suppose.

The combat system didn't bother me as much as the serious lack of any challenge. The game was a cakewalk as was the 1st (and as any Bioware/Obsidian game post BG2/IWD2).

(Obsidian was being rushed by Atari so had to ship an unpolished, practically unfinished game... nothing new)

Well, what's new for one is that Atari published KotOR 2 ;) . Seriously, it was published by LucasArts and to say that LucasArts "rushed" Obsidian is not quite correct. I don't know if things at LucasArts have changed since Jim Ward left (he used to be the head honcho for a long time and also during KotOR 2's development) but the way it used to be is that LucasArts -at least under Jim Ward- had a zero tolerance policy as far as delays are concerned. LucasArts set a date and the game had to be finished by that date. Not a day later. Jim Ward proudly and openly bragged about this practice in public. Everyone knew that. Obsidian knew exactly they were not going to get an extension. They just didn't finish the game in time. It's that simple.

The combat system didn't bother me as much as the serious lack of any challenge. The game was a cakewalk as was the 1st (and as any Bioware/Obsidian game post BG2/IWD2).

Yeah, the combat in itself wasn't so bad (they had these forms which you had to switch depending on what you were up against), it's just that after a while nothing could hit you and you killed one opponent in one master flurry. That every fight at that point was against 10-15 pepole made it worse, not better. Why? Because 10 extra pepole meant 11 extra rounds and nothing else. It was a complete waste of time.

Übereil

That every fight at that point was against 10-15 pepole made it worse, not better. Why? Because 10 extra pepole meant 11 extra rounds and nothing else. It was a complete waste of time.

Well at least it sounds like they increased the enemy count during battles. One of the things I didn't like about the first KotOR was how small the battles were- rarely ever more than 4-5 enemies on screen at once. They were a huge letdown after some of the majestic battles in the Infinity Engine games.

Well at least it sounds like they increased the enemy count during battles. One of the things I didn't like about the first KotOR was how small the battles were- rarely ever more than 4-5 enemies on screen at once. They were a huge letdown after some of the majestic battles in the Infinity Engine games.

Woho, battles took a minute and was completely pointless instead of taking 15 second and being completely pointless. Yay improvement!

Übereil

Well, what's new for one is that Atari published KotOR 2 ;) . Seriously, it was published by LucasArts and to say that LucasArts "rushed" Obsidian is not quite correct.

LucasArts set a date and the game had to be finished by that date. Not a day later.

Doh! I guess I was thinking about NWN2.

Still, you could say it was a rush job considering the due date was a year after the original game. How many sequels are pumped out in a year's time? (don't say "Tomb Raider", hehel). Maybe not exactly a year but close enough if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom