Realms Beyond - Halloween Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Halloween update for Realms Beyond offers a name game.

Halloween Update: A Demon With No Name - Yet!

Click for full-size version

Only a handful of witches and warlocks have met this creature of the underworld. But even they know not its name.

But maybe one among you has been told its name? A silent whisper in the night, a cold breath of something dark and primal speaking ancient syllables into your ear. Tell us the creature's name, so the people of Cormac know what to say when they pray to their gods for protection!

Everyone can participate in this little game. Come up with a fitting name for the demonic creature that rises on the night of Sanhviun and send it to us. We will choose the one we like the most to be the name of the creature in our world. The winner will also be proclaimed - if he or she so wishes - and be listed as "Invoker of [Demon'sName]" in the credits, in addition to the normal credit listing given by the backer tier if he or she is a backer.

Please be aware: Only one submission per person! Otherwise, the demonic creature you're trying to tame will burn you alive there and then.

Suggestions can be submitted below in the comment section of this update, on Twitter, Facebook, or in the related thread in our forums. We will collect all names sent our way before the end of the deadline and then choose five of the best – and you will choose the winner by voting on the official Realms Beyond website.

The deadline is 1st November 22:00 (10PM) CET

Who knows the creature's name? Come forth, wise men and women of our realms, and tell us!
More information.

"Meatball"

With all of those noodly appendages coming out of his back, he has to be an agent of the FSM. :)

The Shovelware Surprise
The Ellis Studios Beast
Hobgoblin42 Himself
The "I Hope This Scam, err, "Game" Doesn't Get Funded" Bigfoot
The Noodle-Face Ugly Graphics Monster
The "Where's The Actual Gameplay and Content Updates For the Kickstarter???" Side Distraction

Happy Halloween! :lol:

Happy Halloween…(a mysterious black cat ponders the secrets of the universe)

a0359567603f412a69e5cbdb09ec2ecc--stars-at-night-good-night.jpg

Seriously, what's with Fluent and accusing this game being a scam?

Fluent played the demo of a game by a company called Ellis Studios, was impressed by its gameplay and defended it here on RPG Watch. It turned out that Ellis Studios stold the demo from a normal developer.
He also then beta tested a game called Demon Age. The developers of Demon Age apparently bought many of the resources from that game had been sold to them by the bankrupt publisher of a game called the Chaos Chronicles. Many of the Realms Beyond developers had worked on that game. Demon age was a total disaster.
Fluent sees a connection between Realms Beyond and those games, which most of the rest of us here don't see. I guess its once bitten twice shy.

The "Where's The Actual Gameplay and Content Updates For the Kickstarter???" Side Distraction

I've been following this KS and if anything, I really love their updates. They're quite meaty, so that is one title that is unwarranted.

I really hope they make it.

I've been following this KS and if anything, I really love their updates. They're quite meaty, so that is one title that is unwarranted.

I really hope they make it.

You must be really easy to please. Where are the gameplay videos? Where is anything worth looking at other than some item descriptions, name a monster, etc.? Now apparently they are going to add writers to their team as a stretch goal. Sweet, the game might have writing now.

I just don't trust Hobgoblin42, Jarlfrank or anyone associated with this, Demons Age, Chaos Chronicles or whatever they're calling it nowadays to try and pass it off for a buck. The combat looked slow and boring, the ruleset is boring, they just took Demons Age and slapped on some boring character customization we've seen done better a million times and are trying to pass it off again.

You don't have to believe me. If the Kickstarter succeeds we'll see what comes from it. I wouldn't hold my breath that we see anything from it, or anything worth playing.

Personally, I'm just happy to see a game that Fluent is negative about.

I wasn't sure such a thing existed...

Haven't there been a gameplay video or two, before the kickstarter?

Haven't there been a gameplay video or two, before the kickstarter?

There was a 20+ minute of a single combat encounter that looked atrocious, and then just the little trailer bits in the KS trailer, which is also atrocious. How about a look at gameplay in a minute-to-minute way? Or show something, no one is being inspired with confidence by "name a monster" or a few quotes about magical shoes. All that being said it's exactly what I expected, so I'm not surprised.

You must be really easy to please. Where are the gameplay videos? Where is anything worth looking at other than some item descriptions, name a monster, etc.? Now apparently they are going to add writers to their team as a stretch goal. Sweet, the game might have writing now.
Outside of Larian, I don't really recall any Kickstarters I've backed having real gameplay videos at the time of the Kickstarter. And most of them turned out great. Realms Beyond actually has more video footage than most games I've backed did.

I just don't trust Hobgoblin42, Jarlfrank or anyone associated with this, Demons Age, Chaos Chronicles or whatever they're calling it nowadays to try and pass it off for a buck. The combat looked slow and boring, the ruleset is boring, they just took Demons Age and slapped on some boring character customization we've seen done better a million times and are trying to pass it off again.
(1) Demons Age has nothing to do with these guys other than they (illegally apparently, judging from Steam removal) used some of the code and graphics assets from Chaos Chronicles
(2) The combat and ruleset is pretty faithful D&D 3.5, so that's boring? Pretty sure many/most here would strongly disagree.

You don't have to believe me. If the Kickstarter succeeds we'll see what comes from it. I wouldn't hold my breath that we see anything from it, or anything worth playing.
Sounds good, although there's a solid chance that you might look like an idiot in a year or two when this game turns out to be good or even great.

Last edited:
Have they mentioned yet whether there will be pre-generated companions the player can recruit? I'd rather have a team of personalities with associated banter and motivations, but I suspect we're not going to get that. Maybe it's too much to expect at this budget level?

Of course my suggestion was Demony McDemonface. I'm sure this name will be in the preselection and you all will vote for it!

I don’t know if the game is going to be great or good, but I’ve spent several hours with @HobGoblin42; at Gamescom and there is an actual game there, with a huge game world. What they need is meaningful content and a decent story to fill that world.
The only way for them to accomplish that is to have additional writers, which a large portion of the money will go to even if they don’t reach a single stretch goal. More money will mean more possibilities for extra writers.

But none of that will convince Fluent. Nothing anyone will say will convince him otherwise. He has decided that he is going to spout the same nonsense, that has been debunked by several members, in every thread about Realms Beyond. I guess that is the kind of person he is nowadays.

Fluent, you have serious communication issues. Just some days ago you posted this:
Yeah you're right. I should have given them benefit of the doubt but was having a rough day. My fault. I hope it turns out to be an interesting game because it sounds like something I'd like.
With your above post you again connect this game to Demon's Age.
It's difficult to take you serious if you act like this.

What they need is meaningful content and a decent story to fill that world.
The only way for them to accomplish that is to have additional writers, which a large portion of the money will go to even if they don’t reach a single stretch goal. More money will mean more possibilities for extra writers.
Perhaps they'd be in better shape in that area if Copper (née Silver) Coin and Winterfart hadn't launched a crusade to force them to fire their lead(?) writer who apparently was working for free, all because he posts edgy stuff on internet forums. Oh well, that's 2018 for you.

Back
Top Bottom