HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Destructoid has reviewed Outward:

Review: Outward

An uphill battle

During my first ten hours in Outward, I was mauled by wolves three different times, kidnapped by bandits twice, and left shanghaied on a magic-infused mountain by a mysterious stranger. I fought subterranean monsters and laid tripwire traps in a desperate ploy to take on foes much stronger than me. At one point, I found a new backpack--one that I could attach a lantern to--and felt a genuine twinge of emotion. On my way back to town, a giant bird pecked me to death. It was a rough start, but nothing in Outward ever comes easily.

[...]

Taken as a whole, Outward practically screams "cult classic." Its consistent challenge, cumbersome combat, and co-op systems won't resonate with everyone. But for a particular type of player--ones that don't mind trading dozens of frustrating moments for open-ended experiences--Nine Dot Studios' RPG is sure to find a dedicated audience. Outward's aspirations are commendable, but just like its protagonist, the end result is just average.

Score: 6/10
More information.

Seriously, posting reviews from abomination shill sites like destructoid doesn't honor rpgwatch. Don't give publicity of any form to retards like them, think what you're doing.

It just sounds like he needs to play far more carefully if he doesn't want to get mauled into defeat scenarios every 5 minutes. I guess it doesn't help with getting a review out the door that fast if he can't pretend to have seen what the game offers by running all over the place without properly exploiting the available systems just so he can say that in those 10 hours he went that far and saw this much of the map (from afar) to justify a review or something. He also sounds like the type of person that would rate the Gothic games 6/10, lol.

Oh well, I'm glad to see the game is generally received very well after a seemingly bumpy start. On Steam it started out with negative to mixed reviews but that was an early fluke by people who wanted the game to be something it isn't pretending to be. Some didn't even seem to explore the starting town as I saw people writing they only had a shitty wooden club to take on impossible enemies with so they "had to grind", when you can easily acquire better gear before even leaving the town. I also got the backpack with the lantern placement the review mentions way before 10 hours, maybe more like 2 hours or less and you can get it even sooner as it only costs 25 silver coins in the first shop. This game's all about exploration but they didn't even check what's essentially in their home, lol.

Anyway, once more people got to play the game it went comfortably in the very positive range ratio and it keeps increasing as time passes. From yesterday's 70% to today's 75%!

It's definitely gonna be a cult classic. Just as it deserves to be. Quality stuff, lots of depth.

Seriously, posting reviews from abomination shill sites like destructoid doesn't honor rpgwatch. Don't give publicity of any form to retards like them, think what you're doing.
Currently the game has only 3 professional reviews on PC: destructoid, meristation, pc invasion. So far no review from consoles.

Meristation is a site on spanish so it's review won't be quoted or would have to be a silly machine translation - googletranslate abominations don't seem like honor to me.

PC invasion, just as destructoid, scored the game 6/10:
https://www.pcinvasion.com/review/outward-review-walking-in-a-fantasy-land/
Outward Review – Walking in a Fantasy Land
I Won’t Survive
Pay To Play
Bore-tal Combat
Bring Snacks
A Tedious Adventure
Big For The Sake Of Big
Back And Forth
Magic: The Blathering

It's not about whatever honor, in such case without choice on variety of scores it doesn't really matter which review is pointed at.

Yeah, my guess is most reviews will be around the 6 mark. That doesn't contradict the Steam aggregate, which just registers positive or negative. It's a bit like Rottentomatoes, where if everyone rates you 60%, you get a 100% positive rating.

The difference is they actually give a score on rottentomatoes, on Steam as you say it's just a recommendation or not, most people definitely don't recommend or consider the average 6/10 game worthwhile enough to play when there are so many more with higher ratings (and professional reviews don't help with that notion as they don't really use the full scale properly anyway). That's why most of the early reviews had barely any play time, it was just people getting in, trashing the game and refunding within the 2 hours allowed or less which for many of them clearly wasn't enough to even know what the game's about or what you can learn to do when you start out. Either way, I was just saying I'm glad its player recommendation % changed from negative/mixed to now being mostly positive.

The difference is they actually give a score on rottentomatoes, on Steam as you say it's just a recommendation or not, most people definitely don't recommend or consider the average 6/10 game worthwhile enough to play when there are so many more with higher ratings (and professional reviews don't help with that notion as they don't really use the full scale properly anyway). That's why most of the early reviews had barely any play time, it was just people getting in, trashing it and refunding within the 2 hours allowed or less.

Sure - my point is that a 60% rating does not necessarily contradict an aggregate showing a net positive result.

Back
Top Bottom