Pillars of Eternity II - The Accidental Turn Based Occurrence

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer report that the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire devs accidentally added turn-based this week.

The developers of Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, the best RPG of the year, temporarily added turn-based combat to the game this week before hastily removing it--but not before players grabbed screenshots and gameplay footage.

Reddit user raggnarok first flagged the new combat mode, which was added on Thursday and removed a few hours later in a hotfix. In turn-based combat, each character could move a limited distance and perform one action per term, raggnarok said. You can see two of their screenshots below, one showing combat in action, the other showing a save game that has a "turn-based mode" marker on it (click the icon in the top-right to fullscreen),

[...]
More information.

I'd like to give that a try. Question is: Was this an early prototype or are they looking into giving us a turn-based option in the future?

This change makes it even more certain that I'll be picking this one up. Is all the content out as of yet? I'd like to think that this inclusion bodes well for turn based options from their future projects.

I installed PoE2 and am struggling to continue after playing it a few hours. Maybe it's a combination of the stat system which I hate and the RTwP system which I don't care about. If it had a turn-based system I'm sure I'd be playing it in spite of the stat system, but as it is now, I'll continue playing it... eventually.

Only turn-based mode has a chance to save this badly badly designed game.

You mean the real-time combat is badly designed, or the entire game? I find the game, overall, very well designed, by and large.

The combat system has a ton of "pause when this happens" options, and the AI scripting is fantastic and allows a wide range of options from total micromanagement to emergencies only.

Well hopefully if they enable it then it will be an option, which is always good.

Otherwise turn based combat is one sure way to completely destroy such an excellent and well designed game.

It's probably something they are working on for the console release (which was pushed back to 2019) and "GOTY" with all DLCs included. That means a patch 5.0 is coming next year too.

Turn-based would be nice, but the game is obviously designed around real-time combat - so I doubt it would be all that great.

I just picked this up but haven't played it yet. I'd LOVE it if the turn-based option gets released. The combat was the one reason I lost interest in the first Pillars game. Much prefer turn-based combat.

Well, I usually prefer turn-based - but I very much doubt it's going to work very well in this case.

Besides, they added custom scripting to the real-time AI - and it works great. There's really no need for turn-based here.

I felt the turnbased mode worked pretty well, although. I was only in the beginning but i can't se this couldn't work great. Since i play the fights in slow mo right now for me to micromanage it. I was sad the next day when my save didn't work anymore and learned this tb mode release looks like a misstake…

... but i don't think this will happened for this game. If they make it a DLC in the future it will be to late for me. I don't see i will be back in the game now once i played it..

I'd probably enjoy a turn-based PoE: Tactics game with more tactical depth. Just not here -- I think it would stretch out the game too much.

Oh, so finally that's the one bug, that Pathfinder: Kingmaker didn't have... yet.

Turn based or real-time-with-pause, whatever. Slow time works, too, just as long as I get time to think.

I'd be surprised if this worked well. Keeping the game balanced with two distinct combat systems would be hard; Arcanum tried that and failed.

Maybe this is something they are testing to add later, turn based combat would make me more interested in this game. I do think monster encounters would have to be tweaked though, if they put in a true turn based system. I'm thinking you can put in a lot more monsters to fight in real time because the players won't mind since they can finish the combats quickly in many cases. Unless they include ways to speed up the combat in other ways, since there are probably a lot of monster encounters in the game.

Back
Top Bottom