Underworld Ascendant - Overhauled Gameplay Footage!

The rough stone textures have their reflectivity set too high, which makes the surfaces look unnaturally polished. Other than that it was good though.

Narrow FOV is related to consolitis, IIRC, where the screen is far away from the player.

That aside, what's with the torch waving in front of the character's face all the time? I get why they do it in movies -- so that the audience can see the actors' faces better, all realism aside, but here? If I run around with a torch I'll make very sure that it's out of my line-of-sight, so that I can actually see what's up ahead in the darkness.

Otherwise it looked good.

That voiceover…I am immensely disappointed with the choice of having a voiced player character, especially one who seems so chatty. Coming from a team comprised of veterans who have established well-deserved reputations for building immersive simulations to explore, this choice is baffling.

The voice-acting itself is actually pretty good, but having regular commentary coming out of my character's mouth during moment-to-moment gameplay will shatter the immersion and become absolutely annoying. I rarely let one annoyance keep me from playing an otherwise good game, but this is kind of a big deal, and possibly a deal-breaker for me.

Some of these concerns have been answered on the Otherside forum already. The main character will not be chatty in the main quest, they did this for narration in the video, though she may make an appearance as an npc.

The environment will be more open-ended, and not as on-the-rails as this demo video.

And the monster art is pure placeholder.

Just wanted you guys to know. XD

Also, lighting will be improved in the final version. They are pre-alpha, please remember.

Good to hear about monster art because that was one fake monster.

I KS pledged quite a lot for this game and was previously worried about their progress. I feel much better now. For pre-alpha, it's quite good.
One thing I don't understand is why they didn't explain what they're trying to do as a dev commentary on the video itself, pretty sure this would've sorted some of the questions that afterwards popped up on their forum and needed a wall of text to address.
Here's hoping that it will attract other backers, there's a whole lot of interesting stretch goals not reached so far.

This is what happens when you get a team of veterans instead of hipster Millennials.

Yeah, damn kids with their skinny trousers, and always kicking their ball on my lawn.

Some of these concerns have been answered on the Otherside forum already. The main character will not be chatty in the main quest, they did this for narration in the video, though she may make an appearance as an npc.

The environment will be more open-ended, and not as on-the-rails as this demo video.

And the monster art is pure placeholder.

Just wanted you guys to know. XD

Also, lighting will be improved in the final version. They are pre-alpha, please remember.

Awesome, I am very relieved to hear that! Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom