Dark Alliance - "Icewind Fail" @PC Invasion

$40 is a joke. Back in the day this would have gone straight to the bargain bin. I feel sorry for the poor developers who had to ship this. I mean the elements are there for a much better product.

One of my RPG groups is currently talking about this game in a group chat. They're talking about trying it, because it's D&D, and they're talking about how shitty similar past games have been.

It's endlessly sad to me that an attached name means more to some folks than any kind of quality. You see it with Marvel games, you see it with this. Of course, this is why companies poop out these low effort games: they don't have to try very hard and they'll still sell them.

Yet another game released in sorry state.

The best thing about the game so far was the trailer featuring Jemaine Clement. Made me laugh, anyway.

I've played the developer's previous game, Livelock. Fun enough action RPG(ish) in co-op, but nothing to write home about. Decent enough at the right price, but not certain why it's rated Very Positive.

You do know Wizards of the Coast is making tons of money with table-top D&D. It's more popular than ever. They do need to wake up on the old video game front. The D&D brand is Hasbro's biggest moneymaker.

Not exactly -

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/48207/wotc-segment-75-hasbro-profits-q1

Hasbro is a pretty big company even if it completely got rid of WoTC. However, WoTC is a profitable company under the Hasbro umbrella and D&D is probably more popular and possibly more profitable now than it ever has been. This has both good and bad effects. It's like watching a really, really cool experimental band that you and a few friends really like get smoothed out for more of a "pop" sound...

I also just have to say the same thing everyone else has. It's a steaming pile. It's so sad to see a D&D "action" game released like this. I don't know who the audience is but it isn't me.

So if a capable developer group got the Dark Alliance models, maps and made a top-down turn based game with these units, how would it turn out to be? A fantasy XCOM.. I was just pondering.

A capable developer would likely churn out something good, by the above listed criteria. Unfortunately, from what I'm hearing, this release falls very short of such goals. Personally a fantasy/light magic X-Com affair would be pretty sweet.

So if a capable developer group got the Dark Alliance models, maps and made a top-down turn based game with these units, how would it turn out to be? A fantasy XCOM.. I was just pondering.

Do you have an unspoken rule that says you must mention XCOM in at least half of your posts? ;)

I'm willing to not be a grumpy old fart and dismiss any game right out the gate, but yeah that video seals the deal for me - it looks pretty awful (and hilarious)

Looks graphically cool tho (for what it's worth)

The aggro in Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance is odd in general, though. Enemies often don't react even if you're right in front of them, as they'll just stand around a lot of the time.

They just stand there waiting to be slain ! The best game for someone who wants to play a psychopathic killer !

They just stand there waiting to be slain ! The best game for someone who wants to play a psychopathic killer !

I guess you are joking? I'm never quite sure.

The idea of fantasy RPGs is heroism which means confronting those with ill intent. The better ones allow dialogue and clever solutions but sometimes it is not possible for diametrically opposed people - ie slavery proponents and opponents - and a dialogue compromise would be neither heroic or sincere and feel very forced.

You should be imagining you are dealing with people that want to end all thats good in this world, to quote Samwise Gamgee.

I guess you are joking? I'm never quite sure.

Somtimes, what I write is satire. Also in this case.

I have read in the past of people who say that in Action-RPGs, or in games with lots of battle in general, they'd like to play a psychotathic killer … character. I vaguely remember this argument brought forth with Fallout ? Wasteland ? as well.

I merely tried to turn this argument "over the top". If someone really wants to have nothing but cannon-fodder within the game, and wants to be able to kill EVERYTHING (the infamous children in Fakllout ? Wasteland ? discussion comes to mind), then it would be the best for such a character, to have cannon-fodder which does not react at all ! Rather than fighting back.

From the psychological standpoint, a psychopathic killer wouldn't want to have victims which fight back. Or, maybe, to simply create for himself/herself an excuse of a "reason" to be able to kill everything aka the usual "it's me or them !".

From the psychological standpoint, a psychopathic killer wouldn't want to have victims which fight back. Or, maybe, to simply create for himself/herself an excuse of a "reason" to be able to kill everything aka the usual "it's me or them !".

What you're describing isn't psychopathy. Sounds more like paranoia.

Back
Top Bottom