Square Enix - I Am Setsuna

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@gematsu.com Square Enix have announced I Am Setsuna an rpg that models itself on games like Chrono Trigger and is said to have a battle system inspired by it according to Tokyo RPG factory.

The game will be coming to PS4 and Steam.Square Enix will localize its Tokyo RPG Factory-developed I Am Setsuna (titled Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna in Japan) for PlayStation 4 and PC in North America and Europe this summer.

The RPG launched last month in Japan as a PlayStation 4 and PS Vita retail and digital title.

I Am Setsuna has a Chrono Trigger-inspired battle system and brings back the "authentic RPG gameplay, beautiful art design, and sorrowful story" of the classic Japanese RPGs to the current generation. It is led by director Atsushi Hashimoto and promises the "narrative depth, impactful storytelling, and masterful character development" of yesteryear.

I-Am-Setsuna-West-Summer-2016.jpg
More information.

Sounds interesting, but I don't think any game will be able to capture the magic that is Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger is a once in a lifetime thing. Will the game be good? Perhaps, but I just don't think anyone can really capture that magic again.

Chrono Trigger-inspired battle system
This explains nothing to me, never heard of that.
In fact I dare to expect it means: rubbish.

Here's hope the other aspects of this game will shine.

It's shocking to me that Square never made a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger. It would have been a multi-million seller on name alone.

It's shocking to me that Square never made a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger. It would have been a multi-million seller on name alone.

Well, they made Chrono Cross, but we all know that game really doesn't have a strong connection to Chrono Trigger as the fans were hoping for.

I would love to see a proper sequel. With the revival of old-school JRPGs going on recently, we may actually see one at some point.

The game never sold that well compared to Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, and it was a collaboration project from famous people belonging to different studios. There's simply no incentive.

As for this one I am not very enthusiastic, it looks too sappy. But let's see.

The game never sold that well compared to Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, and it was a collaboration project from famous people belonging to different studios. There's simply no incentive.

You must be thinking of a different game. Chrono Trigger was one of the most popular JRPGs of all time, and you'll find it on pretty much every top ten list for that genre.

It might be top10 game somewhere, yet I've never heard of it.

You must be thinking of a different game. Chrono Trigger was one of the most popular JRPGs of all time, and you'll find it on pretty much every top ten list for that genre.

But when it comes to actual sales data it really never sold all that much. The other franchises are much more profitable for Square Enix.

A few years ago their CEO went on record saying the sales of the DS port were relatively low and it didn't warrant a sequel.

But when it comes to actual sales data it really never sold all that much. The other franchises are much more profitable for Square Enix.

A few years ago their CEO went on record saying the sales of the DS port were relatively low and it didn't warrant a sequel.

That's not true. Chrono Trigger was the third highest selling game the year it was released, and that was despite it being a new IP. It doesn't surprise me that the DS port wasn't a huge seller though, because by then it had already been re-released multiple times over various platforms.

It's also useless to try to compare it to Final Fantasy in terms of sales. FF is one of the highest selling video game series of all time. No one would expect it to sell as much as the latest FF game, but a sequel to CT would still be a big seller without a doubt.

I still play CHrono Trigger from time to time. It was a game that really pulled at your sense of wonder and I just loved the combos and multi endings.

Even Chrono triggers graphics was better than this...... don't have much hope for it.

Back
Top Bottom