DDO character builds

Would someone want to supply me with a good ranger build so I can get used to the mechanics of the game? This way I can tell that I suck and not the character build :biggrin:
Post #4 in this thread might suffice. I'm having good luck with that build so far. Outside of a small few sessions with other Guildies, that toon has basically solo'd to just shy of level 10. That's a 2-weapon tempest build. I used Az's Fireflash toon and DDOWiki articles as reference points when planning the build.

What is the fireflash build? Remember I'm a complete noob :D I'll check out the tempest build although part of me would like a bow build but...in NWN I had a Ranger Rogue dual-wielder so that is always a good choice :)

Anyone I can add to my friends list so I can start cryingImean ask for help?

"Fireflash" is the name of one of Azraelck's DDO characters. I don't know all the specifics of how that character was put together, but the basic concept was a two weapon strength-based melee ranger with a splash of rogue thrown in to give locks-n-traps. I think Az mentioned elsewhere that he hadn't run Fireflash in quite a while, so I think that character is still sitting at level 8 or 9. I stole the strength-based melee aspect of my tempest from Az (my previous ranger was a traditional dexterity-based bow user, but I pooched her development too badly to fix) and hints on skills and enhancements from DDOWiki.

Send an in-game mail to my character, "Wouldii", and I'll reply back with a guild invite. Alternately, you can just post your character's name here and Corwin (or anyone else in the guild) can send you the invite. Which approach just depends on how secretive/private you prefer to be. Once you're in the RPGWatch guild, you'll be able to see if anyone else is playing when you are online using the guild tab of the social window. Makes it much easier to ask questions and/or party up.

What Dte said, or send us a PM with names. We can use DDO mail to send you a Guild invite. Also, we use Skype most of the time when we play together for convenience. Since it's free, all you need is a mic and headset. Send one of us (or all) your Skype name and we can add you to our call lists. Often we check there first to see who may be online and who might be available to play.

Invites sent. They're coming from Phuury.

No, I don't think so. Most of us just buy stuff when we need to or when they are on special.

Try an honest rogue

Most rogue abilities, enhancements stop improving after level 12
So the build is 13 levels rogue and 7 levels paladin -- a mechanic knight of the chalice (double specialized multiclass)

Could also work with 12 rogue 8 pally if you want higher base attack and another lay on hands at the price of a rogue feat and a die of sneak attack.

The 13 levels of rogue allow for 2 rogue feats (at 10 and 13)
The umd allows you to raise the cleric in the group to avoid party wipes with a scroll of raise dead. As a blend some people may think the rogue skills wont be high enough, specialized as a mechanic II will help.

The 7 levels of paladin give the staying power and saves at the expense of some sneak attack damage. The exalted smites (5 I think and they slowly come back), divine sacrifice, and knight of the chalice compensates for some of the lost sneak attack damage. The lay on hands (2 of em for about 150 htps each) and unyielding sov give large amounts of healing when needed. Also as a pally you can use healing wands (no UMD needed).

High charisma for great saves. At the 10th level of rogue take improved evasion to deal with the occasional roll of a 1 on a save while standing in a trap. At 13th level rogue take slippery mind to deal with will saves.

The base attack will also be higher than a pure rogue :)
Ability to range and melee is balanced because a mechanic adds intelligence to damage when using repeating xbow (a free feat to mechanics) and the sneak attacks blend well with pally click attacks (smite, div sacrifice, etc)

Stats
Race Dark Elf --- lends itself to rapier and short sword
Str 12
Dex 16 the last stat point can go here for better to hit if you like
Con 12
Int 16 lvls 4 and 8 add to intelligence for rogue skills
Wis 8
Chr 16 lvls 12 and 16 for better saves and pally powers
Feats --
toughness (for a less squishy rogue)
weapon finesse (dex will be very high)
force of personality
two weapon fighting
improved crit (slash or pierce)
rapid shot
skill focus disable device

as an elf and a rogue you can add 4 dex
as a paladin you can add 2 charisma
The pally also gets enhancements to an aura that increases your saves
All saves will be over 20 around lvl 12 and past 30 towards end game content
Ref saves vs traps around lvl 12 will be like +40s so you would only fail on a 1

Skills to focus on are spot, search, disable device, pick lock, hide, umd
Throw some into jump, tumble, etc with the spare skill points

The force of personality feat goes well with slippery mind

Hey, I like the sound of that. Now I just have to play my poor level 7 rogue more than I do!! :)

I was just wondering as all the cleric builds are 32-point builds, which abilities would be better to focus on with a 28-point build as i`m going to unlock 32 the hard way. Also which of the cleric builds would be better to follow, and whether that build has all the enhancements and feats to make the most use of being a Radiant Servant.

Lastly would half-orc be a good choice with barbarian (this is for a friend as i primarily play as the group healer now, but till he joins I am also tanking, as my friends are a ranger specializing in using bows and a wizard i believe, who is going for the palemaster path)

Any and all advice would be appreciated (feel free to make fun of the nick if needed)

OK, we have some detailed Cleric builds in our TC thread in the OT forum. I rarely play clerics but we have a few dedicated cleric players who can answer all your questions there. Peter is our resident super expert on this, but he rarely visits the MMO threads.

Hmmm, I don't see it mentioned, but I've used rogue/mage character for soloing and was pretty successful with it.

I actually have a lowbie rogue/mage char on one of the servers who is quite robust. I took 2 levels of rogue for locks, traps and evasion and that seems to work well. I'll miss out at the top end, but it sure helps early on!! :)

Back
Top Bottom