Still no offline version of Magic the gathering and similar games ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

I'm weird. You won't like me. I'm grumpy.

It's been at least 15, if not 20 years ao since I came in contact with the game called "Magic the gathering", and since then I'm wauiting for an offline version of it.

I assume there still is none available ?

I really do not like to play "competitive", no matter how popular that might be. I'm not into eSports, I just want to be left alone and play offline, apart from my 2 MMOs I play from time to time.

I really hate competition.

Which is why I'm working in an social oriented company.

So, I just prefer to get back into my corner and play offline, just for my self. I love playing stories, but "competition" is no story.

So, apart from that ancient demo CD, ther still is no offline trading card game available ?

Alrik

Hello,

I'm weird. You won't like me. I'm grumpy.

It's been at least 15, if not 20 years ao since I came in contact with the game called "Magic the gathering", and since then I'm wauiting for an offline version of it.

I assume there still is none available ?

I really do not like to play "competitive", no matter how popular that might be. I'm not into eSports, I just want to be left alone and play offline, apart from my 2 MMOs I play from time to time.

I really hate competition.

Which is why I'm working in an social oriented company.

So, I just prefer to get back into my corner and play offline, just for my self. I love playing stories, but "competition" is no story.

So, apart from that ancient demo CD, ther still is no offline trading card game available ?

Alrik

Is there a reason not to play single player online? Is the issue that you don't like to compete or that you don't have internet access?

Is there a reason not to play single player online? Is the issue that you don't like to compete or that you don't have internet access?

I simply don't want to get lured into suddenly playing against someone else.

And, besides - why does everything have to be online these days anyway ?

Options

Alrik,

I looked into this a few years ago, and there are a fair number of options. I play Magic all the time with my son, but he's heading to college in a few months. I have occasionally wondered if we should try and set up some sort of MtG league of Watchers - maybe we should consider that, as there are some ways to play free online against others (cockatrice, xmage). I only like playing limited in Magic and have never gotten into constructed. I wrote a random pack generator in Excel that I use with my kids, so I could use that to generate packs for people.

Anyway, single player:
1 - there are the duels of the planeswalkers games by Stainless Games that are titled Magic DotP 2010 through Magic 2015 on Steam. I believe they are all no longer for sale. If you try and beat every opponent with every deck, each one of these takes 100s of hours.

2. There is the 1997 game now commonly referred to as Shandalar. If you google, you can probably find a link to it, and there are lots of instructions online about how to get it up and running. I started to play it but then ended up stopping but plan to go back someday. It was awesome to see all the old cards I never played with in real life. I only took up the game in 2015 or so.

3. There is something called Magic the Gathering Forge. Here are my notes on it from my game file: "Open-source magic the gathering game that includes quest mode that sounds interesting; harder to download in 2021 though - but the quest mode looks really cool in one youtube video I saw, for when I get mtg itch, including newest cards" I suspect this one might have had to go underground due to legal issues with WotC, but I'm not sure.

3. Finally there is something called Manalink, which uses the original Shandalar engine but updates with modern cards. My notes say: "Open-source magic the gathering game using same engine as 1997 magic game;has a complicated challenge mode but no quest mode"

I think MtG can give us comfort that AI overlords are not about to take down humanity in the near future. I think programming skillful AI that can play Magic well is a humongous challenge, given all the different cards.

Bonus magic bit: If you like Magic, google RoboRosewaterMasters. It is an AI neural network that has been fed info about all existing Magic cards, and it then designs its own cards. The results are hilarious.

The saddest thing in gaming history is Microprose going under. So many gems but they simply didnt make enough money.

Well ... I think I've got now one ... Since Genshin Impact got its own in-game ( ! ) card game these days ...

Back
Top Bottom