Miami building collapse

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
Pretty crazy. I just learned of it a little while ago when someone texted to ask if that was near me (it's not). No one seems to know what happened.

Not sure how they know since I wouldn't think it would be a standard part of any inspection, but there are reports that corner of the structure has been sinking for ~15 years, including 2mm last year alone. You'd think the steel could handle an inch of shear but apparently that wasn't the case this time.

I heard about this from my Mum, who might be the biggest news junkie that I've ever known. I'm sure this will be investigated thoroughly.

Nearly 100 people still missing sounds horrible. Normally after 2 days after such event the chances are near zero. Hoping the best for them and that many of them were not at home!

159 people missing now according to reports.

I'd be nervous if I was a resident in any similar buildings in that area.

It's the very first time that news of that sort hit the newspapers here, I think.
I don't remember EVER having read about collapsed buildings in the U.S. here.

Must remind myself to never live in a building similar to that ever again in my life. Did that once for ten years, never again.
There is a lot to consider when judging the safety of a building, local geography and weather plays a huge part. Florida doesn't have to worry about earthquakes as much as more active areas, but building do have to stand up to the stresses of hurricanes. Then there is the limestone that is the bedrock for Florida, unfortunately a sinkhole can form just about anywhere down there.

Back
Top Bottom