Sword Coast Legends - E3 News

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are a few news bits for Sword Coast Legends from E3.

PC World thinks the game will be a candidate for the best game at E3.

All in all, it’s looking great! I don’t love the 3D aesthetic quite as much as Pillars of Eternity’s Infinity Engine-esque art, but the game still looks pretty good (at least as good as Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin) and it plays well. Some of the animations still need more feedback and movement could be a bit more fluid, but overall I have no huge complaints on that front—it played like an isometric CRPG.

It’s almost like the genre never died in the first place. Almost.
Couch forwarded us the link to VGChartz, who are filled with imagination after seeing the demo.

Excited about the prospects of what DM mode could entail, I asked n-Space the extent to which Masters could design stories, questlines, and combat scenarios - could players make their own “Baldur’s Gates”? In talking with n-Space, they stated that, theoretically, players could write stories and quest-lines long enough to comprise the length of an entire game. I asked if other campaign settings were on the cards for future Sword Coast Legends content, and I was told “absolutely” by n-Space.
WCCF Tech feels it is an authentic reproduction of the DnD Realm.

Sword Coast Legends wants to bring the true dungeon master experience into the digital realm, and I truly think it’s succeeded. Already in this early form it has all the features you’d want. The direction they’re taking is phenomenal, and it allows for new ways to enjoy D&D, beyond the table and with absolutely everything you’d want.
Technology Tell played it as well

“For far too long, passionate and dedicated Mac and Linux RPG gamers have been left out in the cold, forced to watch from the sidelines as the industry focused efforts on just a select few platforms. That ends today,” said Dan Tudge, President of n-Space and Director for Sword Coast Legends. “With Sword Coast Legends, we are dedicated to delivering exactly the sort of classic, D&D, RPG gaming experience fans on every platform have been clamoring for. More importantly, we’re committed to providing the community with the largest possible pool of adventurers and prospective Dungeon Masters by ensuring that all gamers can play together regardless of which operating system they use.”
And then there are two videos with hands-on play.

More information.

nice roundup :D

I was starting to think SCL wasn't going to have an e3 showing things were so quiet.

What's the deal, did they just do behind closed doors demos?

Do any of these "professional" sites talk about the feature-set and mechanics in-depth at all?

Or is the excitement as unfounded as always?

It's a demo at a games show. A demo that is often prepared by the presenters, even if it is a hands-on demo, so usually there isn't time and room to explore anything in-depth.

True, so it's worthless in terms of what the game is actually like.

We all like the feature set, but longevity is about the mechanics and content.

PCWorld only had 30 minutes with the game (I suppose the rest is true for the others) and it seems the session focused mostly on the DM tools and campaign editor. No DMing available in the main campaign it seems though. One of the article mention streamlined DnD 5E, doesn't give more explanation.

Even if the game main campaign is crap and the gameplay not-so DnD (although it's apparently fun), "NWN modders" should generate pretty awesome stuff at least.

Feels like an upgraded NWN so far. Almost tempted to buy it now just because I know the modder scene can make awesome stuff.

PCWorld only had 30 minutes with the game (I suppose the rest is true for the others) and it seems the session focused mostly on the DM tools and campaign editor. No DMing available in the main campaign it seems though. One of the article mention streamlined DnD 5E, doesn't give more explanation.

Even if the game main campaign is crap and the gameplay not-so DnD (although it's apparently fun), "NWN modders" should generate pretty awesome stuff at least.

With a streamlined version of an already streamlined version of DnD?

I'm not so sure any content will be fully satisfying using that kind of ruleset. Imagine something like ToEE with a streamlined 5th Edition ruleset. Would it be great? Hmm....

But, we'll see.

Feels like an upgraded NWN so far. Almost tempted to buy it now just because I know the modder scene can make awesome stuff.
Don't count on that. They gave zero details on the power of their campaign tools, which usually means it has little. Their focus in playing dungeon romps online with 5 players (DM + 4 players).

With a streamlined version of an already streamlined version of DnD?

I'm not so sure any content will be fully satisfying using that kind of ruleset. Imagine something like ToEE with a streamlined 5th Edition ruleset. Would it be great? Hmm….

But, we'll see.

"To make a system more efficient and effective by employing faster or simpler working methods."

I don't want to get into a semantics argument here, but streamlining is a good thing. Surely you don't want the game systems to be inefficient and ineffective?!

Every D&D game has made changes to the rules when adapted for a videogame. Nothing new here. Even how spells functioned between infinity engine games. Modenkainen's Sword was a summoned minion one game and the next it's a summoned weapon that hits full screen away, etc.

It's just game design. They don't make changes for no reason and they've made it clear they're making the most accurate representation of tabletop possible in a videogame. DM mode and everything.

It's really easy to understand some of the major changes such as spell cooldowns. Do you really want the flow of your game interrupted with a rest after every battle? I mean, whats the best way to handle resting, anyway? I've finished BG2 with a solo sorcerer and know only too well how easy it is to exploit. Is it fun for a wizard to run out of spells and ask the party to rest again. Plus theres obviously countless examples of cooldowns in RPG games, especially where multiplayer is concerned.

We we're talking about World of Warcraft yesterday and for all its failings it certainly did have fantastic classes which use cooldowns and they we're greatly inspired by D&D! You have paladins with Lay Hands, mages with Mirror Image, etc, etc.

I don't want to get into a semantics argument here, but streamlining is a good thing. Surely you don't want the game systems to be inefficient and ineffective?!

Streamlining is a concept just like capitalism and communism.

Unfortunately, certain concepts don't work as advertised when human beings who don't understand what they're dealing with are responsible for turning them into something real.

Dungeon Siege is the perfect example of why streamlining everything doesn't make for better game mechanics.

Every D&D game has made changes to the rules when adapted for a videogame. Nothing new here. Even how spells functioned between infinity engine games. Modenkainen's Sword was a summoned minion one game and the next it's a summoned weapon that hits full screen away, etc.

I have no problem with changes, if they're for the better.

It's just game design. They don't make changes for no reason and they've made it clear they're making the most accurate representation of tabletop possible in a videogame. DM mode and everything.

I know you've already decided this is going to be great based on "faith". That kind of blind fanboy attitude is useless to me.

It's really easy to understand some of the major changes such as spell cooldowns. Do you really want the flow of your game interrupted with a rest after every battle? I mean, whats the best way to handle resting, anyway? I've finished BG2 with a solo sorcerer and know only too well how easy it is to exploit. Is it fun for a wizard to run out of spells and ask the party to rest again. Plus theres obviously countless examples of cooldowns in RPG games, especially where multiplayer is concerned.

I will wait until I see the actual implementation before commenting on the overall result. I'm looking for in-depth infomation, not your interpretation of bits and pieces colored by your favoritism.

Can you provide a meaty source? I'm curious.

We we're talking about World of Warcraft yesterday and for all its failings it certainly did have fantastic classes which use cooldowns and they we're greatly inspired by D&D! You have paladins with Lay Hands, mages with Mirror Image, etc, etc.

They used their own system, and if you played the vanilla version - you'd realise that certain classes were completely undercooked and crappy to play, like the Paladin and Warrior.

But Blizzard are typically masters of game design.

These guys, I don't know about - and I remain sceptical.

Don't count on that. They gave zero details on the power of their campaign tools, which usually means it has little. Their focus in playing dungeon romps online with 5 players (DM + 4 players).

Remember that NWN still technically used "prefabs" you could arrange and decorate.

SCL toolkit looks to be on par with NWN so far but with a much better DM implementation that could actually be used with strangers. What we don't know is if models/skins can be imported. NWN eventually got a community expansion which had loads of new ported assets which were used by a lot of map makers. It does look like this wont be an option since one of the more expensive preorders comes with an additional tileset to use in the creator so they're set to release more, but I wouldn't rule it out yet since it could be argued that mods are important to players and having all these free assets made by existing players will draw in more new players who will then also buy the new tilesets because it comes bundled with a new campaign, race, class, etc.

A DM isn't going to write a narrative and quests with event triggers or place prefab props while a group of players are already in the dungeon. These are the features talked in the PC World preview.

@DArtagnan

I still had a lot of fun with the Dungeon Siege games online. They had some great mods too which kept it installed a long time. That's a key point here too. Simple to use tools for players to create content. Just imagine if Dark Souls was nice enough to include a map editor!! Custom campaigns modded to where a group of 4 players could co-op the whole time from the start.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy. I fucking love Dungeons and Dragons.

My mum has this photo she likes of me playing on the Amiga as a kid pointing at the screen all excited about something. Only I know that I was playing Curse of the Azure Bonds at the time.

me playing on the Amiga as a kid pointing at the screen all excited about something.
You should definetly change your avatar. ASAP. :D

A DM isn't going to write a narrative and quests with event triggers or place prefab props while a group of players are already in the dungeon. These are the features talked in the PC World preview.
And your point is? I did say they gave 0 details about campaign creation?!

@DArtagnan

I still had a lot of fun with the Dungeon Siege games online. They had some great mods too which kept it installed a long time. That's a key point here too. Simple to use tools for players to create content. Just imagine if Dark Souls was nice enough to include a map editor!! Custom campaigns modded to where a group of 4 players could co-op the whole time from the start.

I'm sure you did, but I found the original Dungeon Siege to be painfully dull and simplistic, precisely because Chris Taylor over-streamlined the mechanics of Diablo.

Dark Souls with proper cooperative play would get me to play it in an instant :)

Yeah, I'm a fanboy. I fucking love Dungeons and Dragons.

As long as we're not talking 4E, I agree ;)

But I don't necessarily love all implementations of DnD, much like I disliked Ruins of Myth Drannor and I don't like what they've done with it in Neverwinter the MMO, either.

My mum has this photo she likes of me playing on the Amiga as a kid pointing at the screen all excited about something. Only I know that I was playing Curse of the Azure Bonds at the time.

I was in love with Goldbox games back in the day, but I require much more from my mechanics today.

Back
Top Bottom