Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD - Missing Dual Audio

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The new Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remake is missing some technical options fans were looking forward to, namely a dual audio option. Modders are already on the job.

The newly released Steam versions of Final Fantasy 10 and Final Fantasy 10-2 feature English and Japanese voice acting options, and a variety of subtitle options, but players are limited in how they can mix and match the game's text and voice — and that limitation isn't sitting well with Final Fantasy fans.

On Steam, Square Enix detailed audio and subtitle support for the Windows PC versions of Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remastered, saying that "all available languages will be playable in all territories." At the game's launch, players will have to select which voice option — Japanese or English — they want to listen to, and from there they'll have a handful of subtitle and text language options.

Players who opt to hear the game's Japanese voice acting will be offered game text in Japanese, Korean or Traditional Chinese. Those who prefer the game's English dialogue can choose text in English, French, Italian, German or Spanish.

Many Steam users have expressed dissatisfaction with those options, saying they want to listen to the games' original Japanese voice acting, but read subtitles and menus in any language. Square Enix says that's not possible, due to unspecified "technical reasons."

"We know a lot of you have been asking whether there are dual audio options but unfortunately due to technical reasons, we're not able to include dual audio in FFX|X-2 HD Remaster," the company said in an update posted to Steam.

PC players have already taken it upon themselves to address the issue. At least one mod, in the form of an unverified downloadable executable, has already been released that offers voice and text language options not supported by Square Enix.
Source.

More information.

"due to technical reasons, we're not able to include dual audio"

"offers voice and text language options not supported by Square Enix"

How ironic... Now they look like a bunch of liars :)

Dammit, I clicked and it opened a polygon site. Got out as fast as I could.
Technical prowess of pc players can never be underestimated. ;)

I hear it's capped at 30 FPS, too. Not to pile on or anything. 30 is ok, but I would have figured by now every game, whether port or remake or whatever, would at least offer 60 FPS.

PCGamer published their review:
http://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-review/

Not bad review IMO, but not good either.
I recommend using a controller to play: you can map the keyboard controls, but I can’t find a way to use the mouse to select where to walk around.
I was like WTF.

Anyway, they've put 85% on it. That's, IMO, too high for this game, but I'm still too early to say for sure (50ish hours in).

I hear it's capped at 30 FPS, too. Not to pile on or anything. 30 is ok, but I would have figured by now every game, whether port or remake or whatever, would at least offer 60 FPS.

The game engine was designed with locked 30 FPS, there are features that get broken if it goes beyond that someone actually tried. Square wouldn't have bothered doing the port if it required a new engine.

Last edited:
FF10 doesn't really need FPS higher than 30 because I don't see how that would make remaining lowres ghosts, invisible mobs on the map and pixelhunting better.
But they could (and should) do the better UI. Not just here, but everywhere. Keys like PageUp and Backspace do not belong in games. Going in inventory to open a map instead of have it on M key is retarded. Going in inventory with several keypresses without having one key for it is doubleretarded. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom