The Surge - Target Loot and Equip Trailer

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
There is a new trailer for The Surge.

The Surge - "Target, Loot and Equip" Trailer

Coming May 16 - Pre-orders now open for consoles and PC

April 6, 2016 - Deck13's upcoming hardcore action-RPG The Surge comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on May 16, 2017. Today, the "Target, Loot and Equip" trailer highlights the game's limb-slicing loot system in all its bloody, brutal glory.

The Surge empowers players by giving them control over what they loot from defeated enemies. Target specific body parts before damaging them with a combination of vertical and horizontal attacks; the dismembered part then determines which piece of equipment is looted―the schematic corresponding to the sliced armor part, salvaged materials for crafting the corresponding piece, or even the weapon wielded by the enemy. This means that when approaching an enemy, players face a difficult decision: do they target an unarmored body part for a shorter fight, or risk a lengthier, more damaging battle for a chance at slicing off a shiny new piece of equipment?

Balancing risk and reward is core to succeeding in The Surge, and bold players can walk away from a fight with amazing rewards. The toughest enemies drop the most powerful weapons and armor, so if you see a piece of equipment you like, you'll need to fight hard for it―or die trying.
More information.

Wondering if this is even an RPG. The way they are advertising makes it look like it's just a series of battles.

Wondering if this is even an RPG. The way they are advertising makes it look like it's just a series of battles.

Well, it's marketed as an "action RPG". That's pretty much what ARPGs entail, no?

While I tend to agree with you to a point, as daveyd says, it is an action RPG. I just figure heavy on the action.

I'll admit when I first saw this game back when it was announced I rolled my eyes a bit and said to myself "well no need to follow this".

But I did keep following it some. Then more. Now the last few videos have me looking forward to it way more than I thought I ever would be. Action heavy yes, but still looks like it could be fun. Won't be a day one purchase but if reviews are good I'll be giving it a try.

Well, it's marketed as an "action RPG". That's pretty much what ARPGs entail, no?

Any RPG that isn't turn based is marketed as "action RPG".

Even Dragon Age Origins was marketed as an "action RPG"* and The Witcher 3 too.

This game is however only about combat. You upgrade your equipment over time and that makes you stronger and better. You gather parts from your defeated opponents to be able to improve your own gear or your implants.
Questing is about making your way to the next boss and defeating it. It is wrapped in a thin story to find out what happened in the complex, but there is no C&C.
So, I think it is a much different action RPG from The Witcher 3.

Back
Top Bottom