WAR were declared

EverythingXen

Watcher
Futurama reference aside,

Anyone else playing Warhammer Online? I've always been a fan of their universe, so I decided to check it out. It's like World of Warcraft with a soul (which is really a 'well, no duh' observation, since most things that are remotely cool about Warcraft's setting was lifted from Warhammer). I'm really enjoying it, though I'm finding it gives me a headache after an hour or two (which is odd, since I can play other MMOs all day if the mood strikes me).

I'm playing it.

I have some beefs about it but Mythic seem to get what they are from the open beta update I just posted to the news section (improved frame-rate with better texture loading please). I like some of the additional tactics like combustion, blood lust and so forth.

I'm playing as well (on EU-Ellyrion), testing out a Sorceress right now but I think it'll be a melee career in the end for me.

So the Collector's Edition head start begins Sunday, I've pre-ordered the standard edition so I'll have to wait a day longer. In the open beta I found the Marauder to be quite awesome, a bit like a warrior in WoW but with three flavors of Berserker Stance instead! (A Fury Warrior was the only thing I found fun playing in WoW) Anyway, after being a bit disappointed the first hour or so I think this game beats WoW in most ways even though they're still pretty similar (which some fanboys don't want to recognize), it actually feels like Mythic have looked at every aspect of the game asking only "is it fun?" and "does it live up to 'WAR is everywhere'?".

Since I've been crazy about this game being released since almost a year ago it feels nice that overall it delivers what I have come to expect, and hopefully it can prove most of the nay-sayers here (which seems to be almost everyone who's not me commenting news about it) wrong.

I guess we might as well use this as the 'official' WAR thread for those here playing it, not going to be very many from what I'm guessing anyway. :p

Been playing, along with a bunch of other people with whom I've been gaming for a long while ( moc.pkers.com ).. So far the White Lion on Order side and Marauder on Destruction are the classes that fit my taste the best, im having a blast. We're playing order side on Ostermark and Destruction on Red Eye Mountain although those are North American servers.

I'm playing a Chaos Magus on Drifting Castle, and a Zealot on the same as part of a dedicated leveling duo with a friend who's playing a Marauder.

Order side I've got a Witch Hunter on Wasteland.

I've been PvPing a lot, which is odd for me. I enjoyed PvP in WoW but it wasn't accessible enough. This though... queue up from anywhere and get dumped back to exactly where you were when you left. I love it. I queue up while doing quests and if I'm busy and decide I don't want to pvp after all I just hit leave queue when it prompts. Though usually I'll happily take an 8 minute break of first to 500.

I had my best night so for with the game tonight. Was in Chaos tier 2, chapter 8 and joined an open group doing a Public Quest. We then go on to do all the three PQs in the chapter, twice each, without failing once! And this was with totally random randoms (I'm in a pretty good guild of old MMO players). To me it's the best proof there is that their design philosophy for this game really is working.

This isn't even mentioning all the RvR I did in the open Chaos / Empire zone, we (Destruction) are outnumbering Order pretty heavily right now but that didn't sop them from fighting and me from dying. But I just kept at it and it was competitive and fun in a way WoW's PvP never managed to be.

So in short after 4 long days playing the game, deadplayer: Clear buy from me if you like the concept of MMOs in general, they're improved both the PvP and PvE side of the old usual mechanics enough to be worth checking out just for that. But the real winner is all of it together, the game is a really good whole with all the parts tying into each other.

After playing it since the first day of open beta I'm finally ready to give it a first impression.

It's World of Warcraft with the suck removed.

Seriously, so far (that's only level 15, with a bunch of level 8 - 9 in other factions) that's what it keeps coming down to for me. Fast paced pve? Check. Lots of button clicking? Check. Running out of mana and being forced to 'wand' something to death with a caster? REMOVED. It only takes a few seconds, even in combat, to get enough energy back to do SOMETHING cooler than autoattack. Cool flight animation? Still in, but with the time removed. You get a cutscene of you taking off... and really, that's enough to get the point across for me.

A fair system for experience points in PvP? Check. A fair looting system for items in pvp? Also check... you get great items for killing players, but it takes no gold or items from THEIR inventory.

Now apparantly leveling speed drops off dramatically after 20 but as long as there's enough quests to go around, and pvp doesn't become incredibly lopsided - in short, as long as the game stays FUN to play - I don't care about that. My low level powers remain fun as anything, with new levels just adding more fun to the mix ... I haven't yet run into a situation where I've felt that I *needed* to be higher level to enjoy my class. Most classes get the heart of their fun abilities - all three stances for Marauder, all three pet types for Magus, the ability to be eaten by your squig and control it from the inside, etc - by level 11.

So yes, I would recommend it ... unless you positively loathed the base mechanics of WoW, and not just the way they were implemented.

I agree EverythingXen, but while it is WoW with the suck removed, I do think they have some stuff worth calling news as well. I'm level 20 now, so I've yet to get into the more advanced scenarios and the bigger outdoor RvR zones, but already the CLEAR winner of WAR for me is the accessible and fun PvP. You mention some of the points that makes PvP fun (you really do get A LOT of experience from it!) but there's more to it, like that every career is good at its role and the larger scale and team-work focus (IMO).

The accessibility is also amazing. If anyone is wondering, with scenarios you can queue up for a level appropriate one for the zone you are in just by clicking a button next to your minimap, and when you're done in the scenario you get dropped off in the same place as you were when the queue fired. It can be used as a nice break in your usual questing or as the single means of leveling up, and quickly at that, depending on your taste.

I also like how they handle the introduction of the outdoor RvR zones, placing the warcamp near the chapter 3 hub so you can go there, get quests in the RvR area and then run in and take part of the action and do your quests at the same time. These zones are also where the open party system really shines, even more so than with PQ's I think.

There's so much more positive stuff I want to say about the game, as well as one negative (the responsiveness of the combat system if you don't time your abilities very well), but I'll save that for later.

This game sounds too good to pass up. I've resisted playing MMORPGs for as long as possible due to the fact that the people in Counter Strike and Diablo 2 normally ended up annoying the hell out of me, but it's the only Warhammer RPG out there. So I might as well try out an online RPG in a universe that I know and love dearly.

I've got some questions about the game.

Is it possible to solo in this game or do you have to form parties? I understand the public quests are for a lot of people but what about the regular quests? I've read about games that have 15 character minimum Bosses or what have you and that it is impossible to try to kill them on your own.

Toaster was saying that destruction outnumbered order in RvR zones. What is an RVR zone? and is it stupid to choose an order class like Brightwizard since I'll always be outnumbered and probably be getting smacked around by Destruction classes?

The PvP seems pretty cool, but are all the zones PvP or is it only around if you queue up and transport there?

Thanks in advance and sorry if these were really newb questions, but I hardly ever play multi-player and have no idea about what to expect from an exclusive MMO game.

I should get the game sometime next week. I tried to get it today but it was sold out and they had to reorder. Looks like it is going to be pretty popular.

There's solo quests in the game but I think that would be the slowest and least rewarding way to play. The Core server is what you want as the only space viable for pvp will be the RVR parts of the map. They are basically open pvp areas that you seamlessly cross into of your free choice. There are good rewards for public quests and PVP and I recommend getting into the scenarios as soon as you're ready. I found the Bright Wizard quite fun to play.

The Order vs Destruction population seems to be getting more balanced by the day. Just pick a class that seems to be fun to play, but if you're worried about survivability tanks seem like good fun unlike what many think from other games. Ironbreakers are almost impossible to kill for me as melee damage dealer, for example.

EDIT: Also, it's possible to do a lot on your own but the game really focuses on group play and rewards you for it, both in fun and items. So do be afraid to try it out, even if there's jerks in the first few groups you come across! (Not seen many at all of those actually.)

My problem with pvp in most MMOs is the ever present ganking of lower level players by high level ones. In AoC I have created a toon on pvp server by mistake and a quest which would take 20 minutes on pve server took hours on pvp one due to this. How is it handled by WAR?

I'm really tempted to try this game. I've played WoW pretty heavily for the first year and a half or something and then again after the expansion. I miss the Southshore vs. Tarren Mill fights of the beginning, that was immense fun (and new). I think many people feel the same way. WoW will always have a part of my heart (nerdy as that sounds).

I've also played Dark Age of Camelot. It was my first serious MMO, but never got to end level. I enjoyed the battlegrounds, but they were never massive.

My question is though, how are the system requirements? I mean, WoW runs just fine, but I wonder, after reports of struggling framerates, if I need to upgrade my 4-year-old computer for this (not that I intend to).

AMD Athlon 3500+ (single-core)
nVidia 6800 GT
2GB RAM

I'll likely pick this up over the weekend. Anyone playing in a server that I could join and find some friendly people to hang with?

AMD Athlon 3800+ (single-core)
Nvidia 8800GTS
3GB RAM

Didn't run all that well for me, so my guess is it certainly isn't like WoW when it comes to running on lower spec machines.

I hear there's problems with the 8800 cards in particular, second hand info though. All I can say is that I have a Radeon HD4870 and run everything at max (in-game settings + 4xAA, 8xAF) @ 1920x1200 and it always runs fine. One exception could be very-large scale RvR, but the question is if it's animations or network lag slowing down the game then. You also have the option to turn off spell effects for everyone or everyone except yourself/your party/your warband.

Also, to be honest, I think the game looks not just a little better while playing than WoW does, in most areas. It's just something you get the feel of after a while, just like the fact that while it reminds you of WoW on all levels it's far from the same game.

About the ganking: Although the game is all about PvP/RvR, as long as you play on a Core server you can hardly ever get ganked. There's a few quests into the RvR areas but they're clear about it and their intention is to get you to do more PvP. And not until the 4th tier, at level 32+, does the RvR areas take up the majority of the zones. And by then you should probably want to do a lot of RvR anyway, otherwise you miss out on the main part of the game.

Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is wait for it to get here.

I think I'll try out order first and hopefully in 6 months to a year they'll have an expansion with those furry lunatics the Skaven.

Back
Top Bottom