Nextgen CPUs

Thanks azarhal!

Slightly less performance for significantly less money is never a bad thing but I'm only interested in performance not saving money when it comes to my PC. So AMD has nothing to offer me.

Slightly less performance for significantly less money is never a bad thing but I'm only interested in performance not saving money when it comes to my PC. So AMD has nothing to offer me.

Ya, I guess, if the only thing you do is game.

I do some video encoding and various other mulit core intensive tasks, and the Rysen's blow the Intel's out of the water on price AND performance in those scenarios.

Plus 6-8 cores is much more future proof for people that don't update that often. Like me.

Multi threaded games may not be numerous now, but in a couple more years, should be much more prevalent.

Going with a quadcore circa 2017? Not going to risk it.

Ya, I guess, if the only thing you do is game.

I do some video encoding and various other mulit core intensive tasks, and the Rysen's blow the Intel's out of the water on price AND performance in those scenarios.

Plus 6-8 cores is much more future proof for people that don't update that often. Like me.

Multi threaded games may not be numerous now, but in a couple more years, should be much more prevalent.

Going with a quadcore circa 2017? Not going to risk it.

I'll keep all that in mind for when I post on video encoding watch. :biggrin:

No need for quad core I've had a 6 core intel 5930k for a couple years now.

As I've said before I have no brand loyalty. I go with whatever gives me the best performance for what I'm doing at the time. If that's ever AMD again, I'll happily buy it. Right now though I can't get excited about AMD releasing cpu's that are finally able to compete with my 2+ year old intel CPU.

Yep.

Can't blame you for that. Sounds like you don't need an upgrade any time soon anyway. Seems as though you already have a pretty nice system.

Me. I need an upgrade. My system is 5 years old.

Think I'm going to get a 1600X. Does everything I need it to at a price that's nice.

P.S. You really should check out video encoding watch. Great forum.:D

As I've said before I have no brand loyalty. I go with whatever gives me the best performance for what I'm doing at the time.
Meanwhile, I'm chasing the best price for necessary performance.

5930k is i7. Those CPUs have no place in my rigs. All are IMO overpriced overkills for a home use. But if you want i7, I said before, buy i7.
Same goes for R7, if you want one of those octacores, be my guest.

Skipped this thread for a while, but which is better for future PC build. Wait for anything coming in next few years or R7 1700? (And with which motherboard?)
With price, buying things now or price expected to further drop?

Depends who you ask. I say don't buy R7 for home use, not now and not ever.
For motherboards, after you pick a CPU so you know which slot and what you need, use google, some mobos work just fine, some had initial problems already patched through firmware, some are still struggling.

A few things you should put in the equatation.

Although Ryzen CPUs are not supposed to run win7, they do, flawlessly. Plenty of people still want that OS, if you're one of those, don't bother with intel's new CPUs. Also worth noting is that win7 free upgrade to win10 is still possible (although Microsoft said it ended, they didn't block it). You didn't throw win7 away? Goodie. Money saved for more SSD space.

After the first batch of Ryzens are released, I've already mentioned that a next one with 12 cores (24HT) will appear that's not ment for servers only but also for home use. Certain professional software already knows how to work with many cores, so if you need as much cores as possible, you should wait for that one.

You shouldn't trust advertisments and amateur sites, Batman:AK release was so broken not even 100 cores or 100Ghz CPU would run it properly. You shouldn't base your upgrade on unpolished/unoptimized products. Also you shouldn't plan to overclock your CPU just because without overclocking AC4 for example will have microstutters. Overclocking and gaming are not the same thing, I'm not sure when overclocking became a prestige among gamers, it was supposed to be just prolonging a life of an old "slow" CPU. I can overclock my 3 years old CPU (K series), but it still works flawlessly on it's base clock so partially I'm regretting spending $ on it instead of another cheaper i5. Sure, I might have 154 frames per second average instead of 153 in some random game if I overclock my CPU. Did I really had to spend perhaps $100 more to buy this CPU just to get that 1 silly frame I won't even notice if I overclock it?

Finally, something advertised as "gaming" does not mean the best. It means superexpensive avoidware and usually an overkill. Do not buy. On ebay, when you see someone described their offer as "gaming", just skippit.

So your choice of a relatively future proof CPU for a gaming (mostly) PC will be R5 joxer?

My guess is that any advantages AMD has right now are probably temporary at best and will be short-lived. Intel always comes back with a better product when pushed by competition.

Think I'm going to get a 1600X. Does everything I need it to at a price that's nice.

That's what I would get as well if I had to go with AMD. It's their best CPU when measuring performance vs price by far.

The 1600x is actually indentical to the 1800x with just 2 less cores. That in itself is kind of strange as usually there are other differences between CPU tiers. In the case of those two processors though, the clock speed, cache, etc. are all the same. So you have 6/12 cores/threads for $250 or 8/16 for $500. It's a no-brainer for most situations.

Depends who you ask. I say don't buy R7 for home use, not now and not ever.
For motherboards, after you pick a CPU so you know which slot and what you need, use google, some mobos work just fine, some had initial problems already patched through firmware, some are still struggling.

A few things you should put in the equatation.

Although Ryzen CPUs are not supposed to run win7, they do, flawlessly. Plenty of people still want that OS, if you're one of those, don't bother with intel's new CPUs. Also worth noting is that win7 free upgrade to win10 is still possible (although Microsoft said it ended, they didn't block it). You didn't throw win7 away? Goodie. Money saved for more SSD space.

After the first batch of Ryzens are released, I've already mentioned that a next one with 12 cores (24HT) will appear that's not ment for servers only but also for home use. Certain professional software already knows how to work with many cores, so if you need as much cores as possible, you should wait for that one.

You shouldn't trust advertisments and amateur sites, Batman:AK release was so broken not even 100 cores or 100Ghz CPU would run it properly. You shouldn't base your upgrade on unpolished/unoptimized products. Also you shouldn't plan to overclock your CPU just because without overclocking AC4 for example will have microstutters. Overclocking and gaming are not the same thing, I'm not sure when overclocking became a prestige among gamers, it was supposed to be just prolonging a life of an old "slow" CPU. I can overclock my 3 years old CPU (K series), but it still works flawlessly on it's base clock so partially I'm regretting spending $ on it instead of another cheaper i5. Sure, I might have 154 frames per second average instead of 153 in some random game if I overclock my CPU. Did I really had to spend perhaps $100 more to buy this CPU just to get that 1 silly frame I won't even notice if I overclock it?

Finally, something advertised as "gaming" does not mean the best. It means superexpensive avoidware and usually an overkill. Do not buy. On ebay, when you see someone described their offer as "gaming", just skippit.

I'm guessing you don't really know too much about overclocking. You can net some very good gains assuming the game isn't Gpu bottlenecked. Even then you can net gains by overclocking your gpu. If someone isn't willing to do some research and learn the ins and outs of overclocking though then they shouldn't do it. Also I'm not sure where you live but at my local microcenter the difference between a k and non k is only $10-$30.

I run my 5930k@4.8 ghz and could go higher but I want it 24/7 stable. With my ram and video overclocked I see between 15-30 FPS improvement on average. Worth it imo.

I ended up with quad core and just hope I don't regret it later. Will see.

So your choice of a relatively future proof CPU for a gaming (mostly) PC will be R5 joxer?

My choice of future proof would be a pair of CPUs on a motherboard inside PC ment for gaming. A terminator capable of lifting heavy weight alone CPU in one slot, and an ant colony capable of doing millions easy tasks in another. Sadly, the market does not want to revolutionize anything, that's why we're still using ancient IMB's architecture.

If you ask me about mainstream choice, that'll be R3 (which is supercheap quadcore). Not that I like it, it's the case your sig is partially about. 3 peasants downvote Socrates and Aristotle. It's about the wallet, the same reason cheap USB won over apple's much better solution.

I'm guessing you don't really know too much about overclocking. You can net some very good gains assuming the game isn't Gpu bottlenecked.
There is no machine inside of which something is not bottlenecked. The fastest SSD will be bottlenecked by SATA3 for example. Whatever you might think, IMO overclocking new hardware instead of only old became a prestige and not a necessity.
I have GTX 1070 which would get some more breathing air with fast DDR4, but man, I already run games past 60FPS. On 1080p though. I can't care less about 4K in my games, then again I'm not enjoying still pictures like Myst any more. What do I care about bottlenecks that had a serious effect 20 years ago?

I ended up with quad core and just hope I don't regret it later. Will see.

Which one if it's not a secret?
Before you answer I'll just say if that quadcore has base clock not less than 3Ghz, you're good. If something stutters on that, just get a refund. Not CPU refund. A broken pos software refund.

ooh goody, I have that too. I no longer pay attention and just buy whatever is bright and shiny :) I posted my rig in the things you don't need to know thread. Nobody told me I screwed up, so I should be okay. I got one of those 7700k thingies and a 1080 GTX card and lots of rams. Since the rams left saint Louis though, they may not be as fast!

I'm like Saki in that I pay hardly any attention to what things cost. I buy what I want. You can do that if you're old and have no childs or worse, grandchilds to eats your moneys.

There is no machine inside of which something is not bottlenecked. The fastest SSD will be bottlenecked by SATA3 for example. Whatever you might think, IMO overclocking new hardware instead of only old became a prestige and not a necessity.
I have GTX 1070 which would get some more breathing air with fast DDR4, but man, I already run games past 60FPS. On 1080p though. I can't care less about 4K in my games, then again I'm not enjoying still pictures like Myst any more. What do I care about bottlenecks that had a serious effect 20 years ago?

Sorry Joxer but overclocking new hardware isn't a new thing. I started overclocking with a p75 to 90mhz. So fast.:biggrin:

I would say overclocking nowadays is much better than back then. Your almost guaranteed a 300 to 500 MHz overclocking with a stock cooler. This allows you to buy a lower end CPU and overclock it higher than the next tier up. For instance my 5930k I picked up on sale for $429 a while back is much faster ( for gaming)than a stock 5960x which was a $1000 CPU.

Anyway I don't care if people overclock. That's a choice each individual can make. Bot to say people shouldn't overclock because they'll pay $100 more and only get 1 FPS is just bad information.

Anyway I don't care if people overclock. That's a choice each individual can make. Bot to say people shouldn't overclock because they'll pay $100 more and only get 1 FPS is just bad information.
Yes it's a choice. Sadly, it became, what did I say back there? It became a prestige.
Not to me.

My information is exaggerated, but bad it is not. Generally overclocking became a deaf audience insisting on FLAC audio.

I'm like Saki in that I pay hardly any attention to what things cost. I buy what I want. You can do that if you're old and have no childs or worse, grandchilds to eats your moneys.
I don't think being old has something to do with it. Kids cost too much? A bunch of kids who want a proper gaming PC. Each.
Dream on, I wish kids were that smart. Nintendo took care of them not wanting what's worth it and also your wallet didn't suffer much. :rolleyes:

Nah, you'll be fine. Iirc you got the 7700K right? It does 8 threads and it's fast as hell. Should last you a couple years at least.

Thanks for the feedback. I know the system is a bit overkill which is why I didn't come back with what I had actually purchased but since you asked will share - but just the core specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)(Overclocked to 4.8)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula (Intel Z270 Chipset)
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i
1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express)
1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

It is supposed to be delivered to me next Tuesday (its in transit via freight right now) so don't have an actual shot - but this is the model and basic casing. Although its not water cooled as I don't like fiddling with that stuff - but it has extra fans and a decent cooling system.

This is a stock image of the casing. Will probably upload a real shot at home when set-up. Got most of next week of for vacation - as it will take a few days to get my Skyrim and FO4 mods and ENB/ReShade presets all installed and working :p

33208186643_b3412084f7_o.jpg

Which one if it's not a secret?
Before you answer I'll just say if that quadcore has base clock not less than 3Ghz, you're good. If something stutters on that, just get a refund. Not CPU refund. A broken pos software refund.

Not a secret - see my post above.

I know its a bit overkill and an i7 so had skipped posting about it. But since I got asked I don't mind posting about it.

Just curious to see how it runs :)

Yea it's overkill but I forgot your top game and since you run 300+ mods at the same time, perhaps it is not? ;)

For Sakichop only:
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5-smashes-records-at-6ghz/#article-comments

Renowned overclocker "Der8auer" was able to crank a Ryzen 5 1600X to just over 5.9GHz (5,905.64MHz, to be exact). He managed the feat without disabling any of the cores, and in the process set a record for the highest overclock on a 6-core part, beating out a Core i7-5820K for the top spot.

While overclocked, Der8auer ran a few benchmarks, achieving record breaking scores in Cinebench (R15 and 11.5), GPU Pi, and Geekbench 3.
There is a video included.

Me? Well, I do watch shows for entertainment but I don't practice what I see there in my room, instead of tinkering I play games. ;)

Back
Top Bottom