Death of an internet friend

P

pibbur

Yesterday I got a mail telling me that an internet friend of mine had died, at the age of 45. Those of you familiar with the Ultima game series, and particularly the Ultima Dragons may have know him: Polychromic Dragon, aka Michael Cecil.

I never met him, our interchanges were solely by-cable-or-wifi. Apart from a feeling of empathy, which I knew would make me sad, I didn't really expect that I would mourn him. But I do - I'm devastated, and I find it hard to accept that he's gone.

I think he was as close a friend as possible from a mere internet aquaintance.

Sorry to hear that. For a medium that's supposedly highly impersonal, I think that surprisingly strong and lasting friendships can develop via the internet between people that never physically meet.

I think we're living in an age where meaningful relationships could form over time even without any "real-world" contact.

I mean, I've been a member of many forums and there are certain posters you immediately connect with and have a lot in common with, even without meeting in person - or posters that just make an impression on you with their style and opinions and you hear (read) from these people sometimes daily for many years... they just become a part of you, just as much as your real life acquaintances, friends, co-workers.

Anyway, dteowner already said it better above.

Sorry for your loss :(

Sorry to hear that. For a medium that's supposedly highly impersonal, I think that surprisingly strong and lasting friendships can develop via the internet between people that never physically meet.

Absolutely agree ... I have been amazed at how the emotional ties have formed, as I have celebrated marriages, births and deaths with folks I will never meet in person.

Sorry to hear your loss - and please allow yourself to mourn withotu second-guessing the validity of those feelings.

I think I felt the same when I heard Flamestryke (sp?) of M&M fame forums had died. Her work built a community of M&M fans and resources.

Sorry to hear that, man. My condolences.

Sorry to hear that. I have experianced the same thing, there was a woman which everybody in the MUD I was playing absolutely adored, and she even got married to a guy from there, it was real romantic... and suddenly she died.... she was the godess of the MUD... none could imagine it without her.... it was indeed painful but also very surreal... it is just like the person went offline for some time... even still had them on MSN etc....

Condolences, pibbur. Human connection is just that, no matter how it forms, and losing one to whom one feels that connection is always painful. It is, though, in a way quite a tribute to the person involved, to evoke such strong feelings in people without any physical involvement.

Sorry for your loss pibbur. I think our on-line friends are very important and we connect just as strongly to some regardless of meeting them in RL. It also takes us by a greater surprise I think. This is suppose to be our safe place. Our escape from the problems of life and a chance to relax and simply enjoy others company without strings.

When the tragedy of death imposes on this space it makes accepting and handling it harder. I lost someone in one of the MMO's I played and I just kept thinking, "This is not suppose to be like this, not suppose to happen here." But RL snuck in.

My condolences as well.

I have also lost a few internet friends already.

So I can feel how this might feel, so to say.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

It is normal to care about people you meet on the internet, after all, they are still human beings.

My condolences.I'm not surprised that you feel that way,I know I would mourn if I missed a certain online friend.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Internet friends are friends, too, and losing friends is gruesome. I feel for you, pibbur.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. A friend is a friend no matter whether you have met yourself in rl or not. Besides the whole concept of online vs rl is rather vague to me.. Internet is just an other form of meeting real people and it is part of our daily life just like anything else. Friendships can start from anywhere. With the tech we have nowdays one can find friends all over the globe. I've also lost a good friend I met online and it feels terrible.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. A friend is a friend no matter whether you have met yourself in rl or not. Besides the whole concept of online vs rl is rather vague to me.. Internet is just an other form of meeting real people and it is part of our daily life just like anything else. Friendships can start from anywhere. With the tech we have nowdays one can find friends all over the globe. I've also lost a good friend I met online and it feels terrible.

You are right, of course. It just feels a bit weird, but actually there's no reason for it.

Back
Top Bottom