Planescape: Torment - Found Artifacts and Oddities

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
While Beamdog were developing Planescape Torment EE they uncovered some oddities from the original game which they have displayed on their blog.

During the development of Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition the Beamdog team dug deeply into the code of original Planescape: Torment and uncovered a treasure trove of secrets hidden within. Here are a few of the oddities we stumbled across while working with the original Planescape: Torment source code.

Meet the infamous test character, Testocles. Like many cRPGs of its time Planescape: Torment was filled with text, however the conversation mechanics of PST take speech option outcomes to the next level. In Planescape: Torment, the Nameless One can not only gain XP during conversation, but also be granted extra stat points, new abilities, or have his class change between fighter, thief, and mage.

Testocles' dialog text tree is full of choices ranging from the aforementioned ability to make the Nameless One change class to a simple demand that the test character fidget. Here, Testocles fields a demand to view merchant stores for Robert Holloway, a programmer on the original game.
[...]
More information.

Is this supposed to be a joke?

Testocles dialogues were a known thing for a decade, scrapped dialogues with actual characters too (thanks to 3rd party dialogue editors for infinity engine games' DLG files).

I bet Platter is laughing his arse off.
Speaking of him… I wonder if this cashgrabber studio fixed bugs Platter did for the original game):
http://planescape.outshine.com/index.html

Just because alot of it had been seen earlier it doesn't mean it's not interesting. I didn't know half of the things on this blog post, and found it an entertaining read.

Back
Top Bottom