Mass Effect: Andromeda - Its Troubled Development

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Kotaku has penned down a lengthy article covering the five years of development of Mass Effect: Andromeda. The visions that the developers had at the start and how it turned out the way it did.

n early conversations throughout 2012, a team of directors in Montreal brainstormed ways in which to make the next Mass Effect that felt distinct. This group, which included several veteran BioWare employees as well as Hudson, who wanted to help guide the project through its infancy, had lots of fresh ideas for a new Mass Effect. There’d be no Reaper threat, no Commander Shepard. They could pick a brand new area of space and start over. “The goal was to go back to what Mass Effect 1 promised but failed to deliver, which was a game about exploration,” said one person who worked on the game. “Lots of people were like, ‘Hey, we never fully tapped the potential of the first Mass Effect. We figured out the combat, which is awesome. We figured out the narrative. Let’s focus on bringing back exploration.’”

Developed by the EA-owned studio DICE, Frostbite is capable of rendering gorgeous graphics and visual effects, but when BioWare first started using it, in 2011, it had never been used to make role-playing games. DICE made first-person shooters like Battlefield, and the Frostbite engine was designed solely to develop those games. When BioWare first got its hands on Frostbite, the engine wasn’t capable of performing the basic functions you’d expect from a role-playing game, like managing party members or keeping track of a player’s inventory. BioWare’s coders had to build almost everything from scratch.

By the time BioWare entered pre-production on Mass Effect: Andromeda, the Dragon Age: Inquisition team had built some of the tools that they’d need to make an RPG, but not all of them. Engineers on Andromeda had to design many of their own features from scratch, including their animation rig. “Frostbite is wonderful for rendering and lots of things,” said a person who worked on the game. “But one of the key things that makes it really difficult to use is anything related to animation. Because out of the box, it doesn’t have an animation system.” (Frostbite was later attached to an animation system called ANT, that source said, but it was full of “duct-taped issues.”)
Thanks rjshae!

More information.

It just blows my mind how things like this happen. New engine: check! New managment: check! Biggest-ever: check! Procedurally-generated maps: check! Back to its roots: check! The warning signs were there when I hear that kind of stuff…

I'll finally play this now that 1.8 is out, but I'll do it knowing it's probably a single adventure. Mass Effect will return at some point, but we'll have to hear words like "reboot" to describe it, and it'll be a watered-down, feature-free blah fest with as little development risk as possible for fear of another ratings collapse.

EA, what have you done? Again…

For me it was a pretty interesting read. It fills in a lot of the blanks.

Its not bad read. But if DAI team already make their tools and had to solve many things before them I wonder how many new tools they really needed for Andromeda:

Dragon Age: Inquisition team had built some of the tools that they’d need to make an RPG, but not all of them. Engineers on Andromeda had to design many of their own features from scratch, including their animation rig.

There is interesting info that they make some mechanics about flying and landing on planets. Did they discard it because it was too much work? Or did they really find out its not fun? I wonder what would Star Citizen devs say about that. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Why would you choose an engine to do something on a huge project that it's not capable of doing?
It's like trying to drill holes with a screwdriver. Yeah, it might be possible, but not the best tool for the job. *DUH*

Nitpicker here : Shouldn't it be "Its" instead of "It's" ?
Not that it's like Monty Python's Floying Circus ... :D

This is very sad. I hated MEA, but I always thought the game was a simple cash grab. It's really very depressing to see a game go so wrong because of mismanagement.

@Alrik, ditch that MMO and return here. Please.

0584AC03000005DC-3515520-Signs_showing_poor_grammar_are_often_shared_on_social_media_to_h-a-29_1459342083278.jpg

c2634a7a05effbac3325653558200d85.jpg

Not that it's like Monty Python's Floying Circus … :D

Possessives usually employ an apostrophe before the 'S', as in "They took Bill's coat by accident."
The word 'it' is the exception to the rule in English. When 'it' is used in the contraction for 'it is', the contraction uses the apostrophe: it's. When 'it' is used to show possession, no apostrophe is used: 'its'.

When it comes to English, it's (it is) one of the many inconsistencies in its rules. =)

Why would you choose an engine to do something on a huge project that it's not capable of doing?
It's like trying to drill holes with a screwdriver. Yeah, it might be possible, but not the best tool for the job. *DUH*

Because EA had a huge team developing that stuff and knowing how those big behemoths work it was probably announced and sold internally has a big "success story" with a lot of Town halls videoconferencing meetings and whatever.
Managers with a clueless strike would want to be associated to this and show how well they support the company efforts and push for the adoption of that engine wherever they can.
Does it fit or not is not really a managerial problem but a technical issue and that is why you have grunts.
Grunts do technical stuff and always moan about management so no one listens to them anymore.

I finally quit last week. Uninstalled it from Origin and deleted the companion app off my phone. Can't believe I got DAI'd.... again! Thankfully we still have devs like CDPR and Larian that set the highest standard.

Bravo! Good move! Anyway, you are not losing a lot, Bioware is doing some kind of Facebook game with microtransaction for their new IP.
They probably try to compete against Zynga on the next Farmville.
At least that how I read their announcement about "New IP", "disruptive social design", "stunning design" and "excellent gameplay mechanics".

Possessives usually employ an apostrophe before the 'S', as in "They took Bill's coat by accident."
The word 'it' is the exception to the rule in English. When 'it' is used in the contraction for 'it is', the contraction uses the apostrophe: it's. When 'it' is used to show possession, no apostrophe is used: 'its'.

When it comes to English, it's (it is) one of the many inconsistencies in its rules. =)
Not entirely sure what your point is, but Alrik's point was that the title of this newspost should probably be "Its Troubled Development". (Although it's possible that the current title "It's Troubled Development" could be OK too, if Myrthos meant "It Is Troubled Development"...)

Not entirely sure what your point is, but Alrik's point was that the title of this newspost should probably be "Its Troubled Development". (Although it's possible that the current title "It's Troubled Development" could be OK too, if Myrthos meant "It Is Troubled Development"…)

The development of Andromeda must have been really extremely troubled if there is trouble even with the title of the article about it. :p

Not that it's like Monty Python's Floying Circus … :D

Not entirely sure what your point is, but Alrik's point was that the title of this newspost should probably be "Its Troubled Development". (Although it's possible that the current title "It's Troubled Development" could be OK too, if Myrthos meant "It Is Troubled Development"…)

This is all true, however, both uses of "its" and "it's" for the possessive are considered acceptable.

However, I fight with a lot of spellcheckers on this, even Word back in the day IIRC. I notice that more Americans seems to prefer the latter and are often not aware that the first is acceptable, even preferred.

On, another note, I can only hope this is the end of Mass Effect. Blech! I do love the spin that it "really took 18 months".

Just goes to show... garbage in equals garbage out

I played the game and have an almost 100% complete playthrough. I will admit that I pretty much forced myself to get through most of the game however. I wanted to like it but it's just not that good of a game. While I usually like Bioware games and play through each one at least twice I can't see myself ever playing Andromeda again.

Back
Top Bottom