General News - Chris Avellone Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Chris Avellone was interviewed by PCGamesN about Baldur's Gate 3, Fallout: Van Buren and Pillars of Eternity.

Is there something special about Baldur’s Gate that its spiritual successors haven’t captured yet?

The charm of the companions, for starters. One challenge I came back to after Pillars of Eternity (and I admit, I wrote two companions) is that a lot of the companions had lost a sense of charm that the original Baldur’s Gate cast had. It hit me when I got involved with the Enhanced Editions, because they reminded me of the companion design of the original game and made me realise that following a formula had taken Obsidian largely off the beaten path. I say Pillars 1, as I didn’t play Pillars 2, but the Pillars 1 companions with the possible exception of Eder just didn’t carry the same punch as the Baldur’s Gate crew. The Baldur’s Gate crew felt like your friends, rivals, and even your conscience at times, but none of the Pillars companions had that charm about them. Again, I felt partly to blame for that.

[...]
More information.

Writes the two most over-complicated, overly serious NPCs in the traditional analyze-this-in-a-thousand-different-morally-grey-Avellone-ways (to the point of alienating others in the studio).

Waxes nostalgia over the lost charm of NPCs in BG.

Yeah… there's a reason Chris will never write a Minsc - simply not edgy enough. You don't need a thousand pages of character exposition to write an endearing character.

Minsc and Edwin were really the only memorable npcs in Bg1, the rest didn't really have any good catch phrases. All the npcs had paper thin backstories. BG2 shone because they kept the best of the npcs and added some more great ones in and also fleshed out the backstories and added a bunch of quests and interactions.

In PoE I thought Devil of Carroc was a great NPC, I found her very memorable and her backstory was very well written. Grieving Mother was the better of Chris's npcs, although I would also place Eder above both of his NPC's.

Writes the two most over-complicated, overly serious NPCs in the traditional analyze-this-in-a-thousand-different-morally-grey-Avellone-ways (to the point of alienating others in the studio).

Waxes nostalgia over the lost charm of NPCs in BG.

Yeah… there's a reason Chris will never write a Minsc - simply not edgy enough. You don't need a thousand pages of character exposition to write an endearing character.

And yet he wrote Nok Nok for Pathfinder Kingmaker who is very Minsc like and not at all like Durance.

Minsc and Edwin were really the only memorable npcs in Bg1, the rest didn't really have any good catch phrases. All the npcs had paper thin backstories. BG2 shone because they kept the best of the npcs and added some more great ones in and also fleshed out the backstories and added a bunch of quests and interactions.

In PoE I thought Devil of Carroc was a great NPC, I found her very memorable and her backstory was very well written. Grieving Mother was the better of Chris's npcs, although I would also place Eder above both of his NPC's.
I also found Viconia, Xzar, Xan and a few others to be memorable.
And Enhanced Edition added Baeloth who was very fun character.

Eder was also my favourite Pillars companions. I liked the voice actor for Durance, but otherwise wasn't so fond of him. I also though Aloth to be very memorable. I also liked Sagnai, though she was low key and the Devil of Carroc. Monteron was one of my favourite Npcs from the original Baldur's Gate along with Edwin. The heroic characters were mostly forgettable.

I practically never brought him along, but to this day I still remember Xzar's bark:
"Stop Touching me!"

And yet he wrote Nok Nok for Pathfinder Kingmaker who is very Minsc like and not at all like Durance.
I have yet to play Kingmaker, but I'll take your word for it. Perhaps Chris is finally figuring out that not everything has to be a verbose treatise on the morally grey.

Back
Top Bottom