Bethesda Softworks - Starfield Is Next Gen

We're pushing it; we're thinking very, very far in future so we're building something that will handle next-generation hardware.

Translation :

"You'll have to wait another 10 years."

Plus : It'll have LOTS of KI in it, because that's the current computing-power-eating fashion.

Translation :

"You'll have to wait another 10 years."

Plus : It'll have LOTS of KI in it, because that's the current computing-power-eating fashion.
Next gen consoles are supposed to be out around 2020-2021, so it's just 2 or maybe 3 years away. Something like this could be a launch title for one of them.

I'm ready for whatever Bethesda's next single-player game might be. I love those games. I'd prefer ES to anything else, but nobody else does the big sandbox games like BS.

Until then, I'll look at 76 but I'm not a social gamer so it probably won't hold my interest long.

You don't really need to be a social gamer to enjoy playing together with friends.

I almost never interact with people online that I don't know IRL. Usually, you don't have to - and that's how I prefer it.

Nobody has stopped to think that next elder scrolls will be exclusive of bethesda.net and so with no workshop and all the mods under strick control, that is paid mods?

At least Fallout 4 had proper high-resolution textures exclusively for PC. Far more detailed than in any similar multi-platform game I've ever played.

Lol, Dart. Did you even take a close look at these? It was like 50-60 gigs for an uncompressed, inconsistent mess. Anyone with a PC and a modicum of awareness would have downloaded textures off the Nexus of higher quality, of far less size.

You don’t like them, Drith? I’m shocked :)

But cool story!

I'm very excited about this, despite knowing next to nothing about it. Eagerly awaiting more information. Even if it's just "Skyrim in space" it could still be spectacular, so I really hope they don't mess it up.

Bethesda is likely to be the only company able to deliver on space exploration.

No one does open world exploration better, that's for sure.

I think there are other developers on the same level, but I do agree it's the strongest aspect of their games.

The thing I'm most curious about with Starfield is if it's going to place in one large area, like all their previous games, or if we'll actually be able to travel to different worlds.

S
I'd love an actual good sci-fi RPG (how long has it been?) and will almost certainly "try" to play Starfield, but I see no reason to expect it won't be terrible.

I agree, but thing is: creating sci-fi games ( with extensive history/lore) is hard. You have to go an extra mile to set, describe the rules of the setting, everything has to make sense and be consistent with it.
And Bethesda...that is pretty much the opposite of how they do things. Hell, lately they don't even respect their own lore.
There was that funny comment from Hines when asked on Fallout IV contradictions with series lore, that went: Who cares, it's a video game!

Bobo is right. Details and consistency matter a lot more in the Sci-fi genre than fantasy genre. It's too bad they no longer have Micheal Kirkbride.

- And the cherry on top, now we got Fallout 76, some multiplayer shit nobody wanted.
I think it could be cool. If it's a 4 times bigger world than FO4 with the location density of Skyrim it will be amazing to explore. I wouldn't worry about the multiplayer aspects too much. If it's anything like other "survival" style online games there will be plenty to see and do on your own and everyone's immediate goal will be different enough that solo play will actually be a more efficient means by which to progress. Being able to share the experience with other people, if you want, is an option many will be excited to have. The whole project feels like something we really haven't seen before; an AAA take on a genre dominated by smaller developers. I'm very interested to see how it turns out!

I think it could be cool. If it's a 4 times bigger world than FO4 with the location density of Skyrim it will be amazing to explore. I wouldn't worry about the multiplayer aspects too much. If it's anything like other "survival" style online games there will be plenty to see and do on your own and everyone's immediate goal will be different enough that solo play will actually be a more efficient means by which to progress. Being able to share the experience with other people, if you want, is an option many will be excited to have. The whole project feels like something we really haven't seen before; an AAA take on a genre dominated by smaller developers. I'm very interested to see how it turns out!
4x bigger means 4x emptier as well, they are just making it bigger so when 30 players get crammed into same map they don't bump into each other all the time.

I think there are other developers on the same level, but I do agree it's the strongest aspect of their games.

The thing I'm most curious about with Starfield is if it's going to place in one large area, like all their previous games, or if we'll actually be able to travel to different worlds.

Well, with a name like "Starfield" - it would be a little odd not to have space travel of some kind :)

I'm surprised nobody is clowning on him about this:

"That to us means two things," Todd Howard told me. "It does mean hardware and it does mean software on our side, and it also means gameplay - what does the next generation of epic single-player RPGs feel like to us?

1. Hardware
  2. Software
  3. Gameplay

:lol:

But, seriously, please finish this soonest.

Nice find. :D
I noticed that a bit as well, but didn't find it that important. ;)

I'm pretty sure hardware and software is "one thing combined" in this case, though I could be wrong.

As in, they're targeting next-gen hardware with a new engine. Well, or majorly upgraded engine - AND they're going for a different kind of gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom