The Hobbit will be directed by P. Jackson

Jackson was always going to direct The Hobbit, that has been known for quite some time.

I just hope he stays completely true to the book this time. I didn't like some of the liberties he took with LotR.

Personally, Jackson has never impressed me in the least.

Oh, at least !

I only fear that the Mirkwood passage and Gandalf's adventures will consist of roughly of 60-70 % of the movie, guessing from what Mr. Jackson did in the past (kinds of movies & scenes).

Jackson was always going to direct The Hobbit, that has been known for quite some time.

To my knowledge Jackson was just going to be producing it. Guillermo del Toro was supposed to be directing it. And then he left the project.

I think he did an amazing job with LOTR. Loved it. And have no problem with the changes he did to the book version.

See above. Jackson was to produce, but del Toro made an exit.

I just hope he stays completely true to the book this time. I didn't like some of the liberties he took with LotR.
I don't care about the changes. He should have made one more: cut 80% of the hobbit journey. It was way too much.
Watch Braindead. ;)

I think he did an amazing job with LOTR. Loved it. And have no problem with the changes he did to the book version.

Ditto. He treated the source material with respect, something that is quite rare in Hollywood. He could easily have pulled Earthsea or Solomon Kane level franchise rape, with LOTR but he didn't. The few things that were changed or omitted didn't matter much in the story anyway.

To my knowledge Jackson was just going to be producing it. Guillermo del Toro was supposed to be directing it. And then he left the project.

You're right of course, I got producer mixed up with director. I meant that Jackson was always going to be "in charge" of The Hobbit. He's been trying to get it done since 1995.

The few things that were changed or omitted didn't matter much in the story anyway.

Maybe in your opinion.

He took MAJOR liberties with some of my favorite parts of the story. i.e. The defense of Helm's Deep, and, especially, The battle of the Pellenor Fields.

I don't care about the changes. He should have made one more: cut 80% of the hobbit journey. It was way too much.
My guess is, the first installment will cover the journey, the second will cover the rest. Personally I wouldn´t like the journey to be cut as it´s my favourite part of the book.

To add my two cents on LotR films, I consider Fellowship to be the best, pretty much because it has the best pacing of the three, at least in accordance with my preferences. The epic battles which occupy the other two are way too overkill in length imo. The extended editions partially redeemed this as most of the additions consisted of dialoguing which made the lengthy battles at least a bit more proportionally acceptable for me.
Frodo´s journey in Two Towers was captured very well.
I think that where films really shine is their visual quality. Creators understood well that reading the books is a very "visual" experience and I think that, with some exceptions, they managed to translate it into film format successfully, both in terms of casting and art direction.

Watch Braindead. ;)
Was going to post that too.

Last edited:

I thought he did an amazing job with Fellowship of the Ring. Then he mucked about too much with the following 2 films. I cringed when Legolas surfs on a shield while shooting uruk-hai in Helms Deep. I didn't like the changes Faramirs story either. And what's with the 5 minute long slow motion scene at the end of RotK where everyone's going nuts when Frodo wakes up? A few other things were a bit too sappy, and some things where a bit too "hollywoody". But these are relatively minor criticisms I guess. All in all the films were really good.

Only thing I don't like hearing is that he'll be doing it in 3D.

I missed the Scouring of the Shire - it was a neat way of showing how the stature of the hobbits had changed by their travels, as well as being a good twist on the usual "heroes return home and live happily ever after" (although I was pleased PJ retained the fact that Frodo had been mentally and physically damaged by what he had done).

I didn't have major issues with the films though. They were damn great in places - the boat passage through the Argonath is, perhaps oddly, one of my favourite bits. I never thought fantasy could look so damn real.

Too many grievances to name, but I still think the trilogy is pretty amazing - all things considered.

That said, I expected the third movie to be the best - and I consider it to be the weakest. Apart from the Faramir changes (my favorite character in the books), I was most devastated by what they did with my all-time favorite sequence in the books: The Shelob sequence. They did it 100% wrong, and I was shocked - frankly.

I don't really expect too much from this one, but there's no doubt I'll be in the theaters on day one.

Oh, and I'm pleased Guillermo isn't directing - as I don't think he's the right person for the job. Too obsessed with his creatures, and I didn't care for Pan's Labyrinth - especially because of the implausibly evil antagonist. I think he's too simple-minded for a job of this scope.

Peter Jackson? Wasn't that the one who thought it would be great if Sauron and Aragorn would have a big fight against each other at the end of the last movie? We all should say "thank you" to the guys who talked him out of this crap.

I don't agree with all compromises he made (e.g. cutting MY favorite sequence in the book, the old forest to the Barrowdowns), or to some in my opinion unecessary changes (like the abovementioned) but I have to accept that some such changes had to be made. Overall, I don't think a much better movie could have been made in this reality (except if I had done it myself ;) ), for that I am very thankful to the guy.
So thumbs up for having him direct the Hobbit :thumbsup:

I missed the Scouring of the Shire - it was a neat way of showing how the stature of the hobbits had changed by their travels, as well as being a good twist on the usual "heroes return home and live happily ever after" (although I was pleased PJ retained the fact that Frodo had been mentally and physically damaged by what he had done).

I didn't have major issues with the films though. They were damn great in places - the boat passage through the Argonath is, perhaps oddly, one of my favourite bits. I never thought fantasy could look so damn real.

The only other thing I also missed was Tom Bombadil who has just been cut out of the movie. I have a few other favourite bits: the last march of the Ents, the moment the Rohirim arrive at the battlefield in front of the white city and even more oddly then yours: the passage trough some rocks at the beginning of their journey out of Rivendel.(the music is mainly responsable for all of those scenes)

Yes, I particularly liked the portrayal of the ents and their last march. There were many other bits I thought Jackson did VERY well, including Moria and the Paths of the Dead.

However, I also was very saddened by the portrayal of Saruman, the change to his demise, the omitted Scouring of the Shire, Tom Bombadil, the barrow wight, and, in particular, the dark Lothlorien sequence - it should have been much greener and shiny daylight.

All this to make room to invent new material for the Arwen-Aragorn romance, and the silly appearance of Elves at Helms Deep...

I still think Jackson did an amazing job overall for a very difficult task, and am very much looking forward to his version of The Hobbit.

I still think Jackson did an amazing job overall for a very difficult task, and am very much looking forward to his version of The Hobbit.

Everyone I know who was a LotR book fan is also a huge fan of the movies though most book fans have some nit or another to pick with the movies. The reasonable ones acknowledge that to fully do the books would require like 20+ hours of movie and a budget so astronomical that it could never actually be done. And many of the "big" cuts (Tom B., the scourging of the Shire, ...) were pretty obvious before the movies were ever made.

I am looking forward to the Hobbit movie(s) with great expectation!

That's good news. Sure he had to take some liberties with LoTR, and yes, some of the battle scenes were to appeal to theater audiences (and were well done IMO, save for the shield surfin'— that was a little much, plus I don't remember all that Arwen mushy stuff from the books but then again it's been a while, and I didn't like the portayal of Gollum being morally conflicted. I think in he was meant to be evil, made so by the Ring with no "humanity" left). But the amount of detail required of that trilogy was done as best it could be in this day and age. Although I'm still hurting on the inside with Shelob's lair being postponed into RotK, and on top of that didn't scare me the way it did in the book. Edit: let's hope he gets it done so Ian McKellan can reprise Gandalf for a fourth time.

All that said, I look forward to the Hobbit movie. Should be out the same time as Diablo 3 :)

That, and the changes to Saruman as well. He portrayed Saruman as if he was nothing but a lackey to Sauron. Very different from the character in the books.

But it was Christopher Lee! That in itself was cool :)

Had I remembered enough from the books, I may have been just as disappointed, though. I just really liked that casting choice.

Back
Top Bottom