Lineage Eternal - Set for Worldwide Release??

There was time I was like that as well. I will get annoyed if something didn't look "real" but I guess I have gone pass that point now. These days I can enjoy a “real” looking and “exaggerated” looking games as well. I don’t know when I changed or why I changed but I think part of the reason for the change is that we are getting so many of these exaggerated looking games now days and I must have accepted them as normal!

The only thing now days is that the game has to be consistent with itself.
Let's see if someday I get desperate enough to give it a try. ;)

I fenced for eight years with the heaviest blade in my class, a light sabre. I'd be damned if I tried to fence with the weapon at the top of this thread, I'd be far more concerned about hurting myself than my opponent. I do realize it's a game, but man, that type of exaggeration is just silly.

I fenced for eight years with the heaviest blade in my class, a light sabre. I'd be damned if I tried to fence with the weapon at the top of this thread, I'd be far more concerned about hurting myself than my opponent. I do realize it's a game, but man, that type of exaggeration is just silly.
A light sabre, you say… I hope those classes are held somewhere near me, but they're probably far, far away.

Not that kind of sabre.....this is basically the heaviest weapon that our instructor would let us use. If you're strong enough with it, you'll simply intimidate anyone that comes near you with a rapier or epee. They'd be too worried about their weapon simply snapping to engage you.

That sword in the picture is hilarious; in real life it would probably weight more than a hundred kilograms. He'd be dragging it behind him on the ground… :p
How many gold pieces could you carry around in real life? How many could you carry on you while sword fighting?

Tera? Nope, never heard of it. ;)

That's a different thing. Having a ridiculous amount of gold in the inventory can be seen as a replacement for actually carrying something lighter with more value (e.g. coins of different matrerials or gems) or for having stored the gold in a remote safehouse. For gamer convenience this is simplified so you don't have to struggle with different coins or have to go to your safehouse.

Having oversized swords isn't a simplification. For me it seems like the designers think it's important for their gamers to have a character with the biggest… thing. ;) Wonder what female gamers think about this.

Why should the worlds all of these games be set on have the same gravity and environment as earth when it is very unlikely you will ever find more then one identical planet in gravity or environment. If the planet has less gravity then earth there may not be a problem using larger weapons.

It also wouldn't help - you've still got a lot of mass you've got to accelerate and decelerate. By the time you get the thing moving fast enough to hurt, you're opponent has sat down in a chair behind you.

The thing is, physics goes crazy in fantasy settings all the time. Fighting something twice your height (and 8 times your weight) with a melee weapon is not going to work out well - yet we attack dragons! What are you supposed to do? Stab it in the ankle and hope the wound gets infected? The dragon doesn't need any fancy tactics or wicked biting attacks or even a sneaky swipe of the tail. All it needs to do is roll over and mighty warrior gets smushed.

So yeah, the sword looks crazy heavy but it's magical so it's mass is only about 5kg for the wielder. And it will cancel kinetic energy thrown at it, too, so it can actually stop that giant's swinging club.

Like Morradir have said, it's a penis extension.

The thing is, physics goes crazy in fantasy settings all the time. Fighting something twice your height (and 8 times your weight) with a melee weapon is not going to work out well - yet we attack dragons!
How do you know that?

So yeah, the sword looks crazy heavy but it's magical
Is it actually explained this way in the games?
If this was the case, it would indeed explain why the characters can wield weapons like this. Alas it wouldn't make any practical sense as you loose the great impact on the opponent that a non-magical heavy weapon of this size would have. So now even for the character in the fictional world it would be nothing but an optical thing.

If you really had that magically light material it would be way better to not increase the width, but the length of the weapon only for having a better range. That would make practical sense.

But it has nothing to do with practicality and all with visuality :)

Back
Top Bottom