The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hard West will be relased on November 4. Our Eye has collected various news:

TheSixthAxis - Interview with lead designer Kacper Szymczak:
The Occult, The Mythological And The Tactics Of Hard West

It's the hard, hard west.

With the revival of the XCOM franchise a few years ago, the attention paid to other turn-based tactical games have also been transformed. With an intriguing setting in the Wild West mixed with broad elements of the occult, classical mythology and a greater focus on storytelling, Hard West isn’t just looking to ride the zeitgeist as it heads to release on PC at the start of November, but also push the gameplay into new and interesting directions.

Kacper Szymczak, Lead Designer on Hard West, explained, “The origin of this idea was the Carnival series, because we wanted to do something in the Wild West. First of all we wanted to do a tactical game, but then we thought of settings and obviously the Wild West came up and, compared to other settings, other games on the market and timing, it seemed to be the best choice. I wanted to put a twist on that, so we could have more creative freedom and extend our features. […]
Eurogamer: Hands On

Hard West: much more than a wild west XCOM
IGN: Preview
Hard West Is Like XCOM in the Old West

If you ain’t lucky, you’re dead.

The easy sell for Hard West is "Cowboy XCOM." That might have been the easy way to design the game, as well – toss a few six-shooters and cowboy hats into a reskin of Firaxis’ 2012 modern classic and you’d have a perfectly serviceable game. But there’s more to Hard West than that. It’s engaging with its Western setting and adapting its gameplay to fit that kind of shootout – which gives a good chance of being far better than merely serviceable. […]

More information.

Looking forward to the final release of this one since I Kickstarted it, but haven't played it in early access. Learned my lesson by burning out on DoS so I avoid playing any games in early access now.

The premise is quite good and from what I have seen from some game play vids looks pretty good.

I hope this game does well on the market and becomes popular.

I'm keeping an eye on this one. Perhaps I didn't follow earlier announcements close enough but I didn't expect all the occult and fantasy stuff in the game. It turned me off of it quite a bit actually. There's just so many games out there with that stuff I was looking for more of a straight old western game.

Still, there's only so many turn based RPGs out there, I tend to play them all eventually. All of the indie turn based RPGs lately have left me a sour taste though. Usually from a lack of feedback and polish. DOS and W2 were good to great but outside of those I've been mostly disappointed.

If anyone here tried it, does it has number shortcuts for the game actions (i.e 1 - Shoot, 2 - Prone etc etc) ?

For me it's a must have, I like to use a Naga Razer Mouse with 12 side buttons.

From their latest KS update, there's going to be a slight delay: Nov. 18th is the new release date.

From their latest KS update, there's going to be a slight delay: Nov. 18th is the new release date.
Hmm, I think release just after Fallout 4 is not a good idea even if the game is going to be marginally better. Better if they delayed more.

Send Kacper Szymczak message on the FB. Maybe (just maybe) he will justify their position.

This game looks really cool. Somehow I missed it and this is the first gameplay I've ever seen. November is a bad time in general...most of us will be playing Fallout 4 probably until January, really. But I hope the game does well.

Well, the system requirements are much lower than for fallout, so...they are decding at that point what I am going to play ;)
But I already bought the game via kickstarter anyways.

I'm keeping an eye on this one. Perhaps I didn't follow earlier announcements close enough but I didn't expect all the occult and fantasy stuff in the game. It turned me off of it quite a bit actually. There's just so many games out there with that stuff I was looking for more of a straight old western game.

Seeing your post made me take a second look at the game. I'm actually a lot more interested now after seeing the occult/horror elements. I can understand how some people wouldn't like that though.

My only concern is squad size. According to the description on Steam, your squad only consist of 1-4 members. I'm a little disappointed by that.

Back
Top Bottom