Galactic Civilizations III - Stardocks Next 4X Game

I don't think any of the civilization games had tactical combat! I sure don't remember controlling individual pike men against barbarians, anyway. It would be interesting if they could link Civ up with a Total War engine, though, wouldn't it? Or Mount & Blade?

I'm still learning what I'm doing in the game. The manual is pretty pointless - click the second link on the store page to go to the wiki instead.

Yeah, that was my point. And people didn't complain about Civ not having tactical combat.
Well, Civ 5 kinda implemented some kind of it in Civ 5, which then had the problem that the AI was unable to handle it, and tactical combat was something (like many other game elements in Civ 5) which was just there for the player to exploit against the AI.
But just because MOO had tactical combat players think GalCiv needs tactical combat as well. And I don't agree with that. And the implementation of tactical combat in the Version of MOO2 I played was one of the worst I have seen yet (attacker always gets first attack and wins).

Unfortunately GalCiv 3 already has too much micromanagement as it is now. Playing on a large map with 3 enemies I am already taking 10 minutes per turn in my current sandbox game...considering a game automatically ends at 1000 turns, and I already spent around 11 hours for the first 129 turns this is going to take ages, mostly spent on micromanagement, setting up buildings and production focus in multiple colonies each turn...

I don't mind that there's no tactical combat, but it's supremely stupid that you can't give them general orders to follow before a fight. All Civ games include low level tactical combat, though, it's just not a separate system.

But that's the least of my complaints with this hollow turd.

I really don't get the appeal of these Stardock games, as they're so cold and lifeless to me.

Well here's an odd new feature. Once you get done designing you're own ship, you can save it to a 3D-printer format file or send the shape to Sculpteo which will print the thing out and ship it to you. (No clue how much it would cost.)

People have made thousands of ships for the game so this would be an easy way to get yourself a little Enterprise, Cylon Base Star, or Ebon Hawk.

Edit: Poking around with the new feature, I found I could make a 2inchx1inx2in model out of white plastic with no color for about $10. You can make models that are two feet long! Obviously you need to think about how a ship is going to stand up - the Enterprise doesn't just sit on your desk real well unless you turn it upside down. ;)

Last edited:
Gal Civ 3: Crusade expansion is out http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=226860

They made quite a few fundamental changes. You don't have to keep sending constructors to star bases to update them now, for instance. I've only just started playing a new campaign.

Gal Civ 3: Crusade expansion is out http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=226860

They made quite a few fundamental changes. You don't have to keep sending constructors to star bases to update them now, for instance. I've only just started playing a new campaign.

I've been meaning to check this out again after this expansion, but it's apparently incredibly bugged according to several Steam reports.

I'll hold off for a while.

I've been looking for a MoO2 replacement for 21 years now. I wonder if that will ever happen.

Sounds like there's something going wrong with the AI breaking but I didn't run into it in my game. The main problem for me is that the manual is still the old one so figuring out what the heck is going on isn't easy.

It's not Master of Orion. You've got no control over tactical battles at all. You do build your own ship designs but, since the tactics are all just numbers, that's just a cosmetic thing. On the other hand, you've got the ability to take over planets via influence alone - not a shot fired.

Back
Top Bottom