Unofficial patches: are they worth it?

Since were talking about aiming mods there is only one that I will ever need to install. It's called the iron sights. Awesome mod that lets you use your gun sights to aim instead of zooming in a tiny bit. Here's a video of it in action. This is an absolute must install for me when playing F3.

Thanks skavenhorde, that happens to be one of the mods I wanted to try when I start FO3 again, which I plan on doing very soon.

Did you ever experience any glitches with it? I heard they had to tweak the gun models for that mod to work properly.

I used an aiming mod that relied on my mouse accuracy rather than my characters accuracy. However, there was a problem with it which made the game severely slow, so I had to disable it after an hour.

Thanks skavenhorde, that happens to be one of the mods I wanted to try when I start FO3 again, which I plan on doing very soon.

Did you ever experience any glitches with it? I heard they had to tweak the gun models for that mod to work properly.

Yea, I would get a glitch every now and then like being able to see through the gun, but those mostly had something to do with the other mods I had installed. On the whole it worked beautifully. I don't believe I ever had a crash to desktop associated with this mod, but a few of the weapons were a little odd when used with this. Most of the weirdness came from guns that I've added myself or through one of the major mods I had running. Check out the video I posted. I believe you can see one of the glitches in action there where you can see inside one of the guns.

Jemmy if you ever reload F3 again there are a bunch more no autoaim mods out there now that I believe don't hog as much memory. This one looks promising for those who want a more FPS game, but I like the old system. More RPGish I guess :) The small guns skill is easier in some ways and more difficult in others. Especially if you add in a bunch of mods that tone down leveling and change the way that the small guns skill behaves.

As far as the storyline, I'd pretty much have to agree. They don't fit in perfectly at any given time. It's like they were basically added just to give fans more stuff to do.

I think that is a narrative problem with in-game expansions, DLC, and to some extent side quests in general:) The detour to the (excellent) Watcher's Keep doesnt make all that much sense either from a storyline either. Nor does the various detours in the original Fallouts or Dragon Age.

I guess it's dangerous to think too hard about RPGs:)

ToEE and (to a lesser extent) Fallout were both vastly improved by fan patches. Arcanum however is still constantly crashing on me. Not sure if I will continue playing it in this state. :(

Hmm, I never had any crashing problems with Arcanum, despite only using official patches.

Back
Top Bottom