Recommend a Game

lacking in almost all other other aspects…quests, story, dialogue, characters, ambiance, voice acting, music and so on. Guild questlines Skyrim quality.
While there is a lot of lore, I didn't find it particularly interesting or well written( but that is more a subjective thing).
Loot would've been great if you didn't find superuniquespeciallegendaryartifact under every pile of rubble…sort of Diablo feel to it, with one hell of a boost for drop rates.
Sure is colorful, though.
Some dialogue is simply stellar: https://youtu.be/ACQ5rEk3UAs?t=1606
Feels closest to Inquisition and Dogma, which are both overall simply better games.

It's not lacking in any of those areas. The loot is Diablo style but an upgrade is always powerful and a nice upgrade for awhile (plus you can craft some amazing stuff). It's also far from Inquisition or Dogma which are totally different games. The fact is there are NO other RPGs like Reckoning that are really out there that deliver that much content in a huge open-world in the way Reckoning does. The closest example would be a more "guided" Oblivion/Skyrim or something.

Last edited:
Ooookay, I see there won't be much point in discussing this…seriously Fluent, it's not always a bad thing to try and give a more rounded view on something.
Amalur is a pretty decent game( steal for that price), but it's one of those you-must-know-how-to-play-it titles.
If LD wants to give it a try, I'd recommend hardest difficulty, clear each area before moving to next( weird enemy scaling to player level upon entering), stick to guild/main story quests( too much filler outside , lack of compelling content/characters) and avoid crafting( breaks game balance further)…don't worry about min-maxing and loot grinding, it won't really matter in long run so freely play around with builds( you can respec for a price, which also isn't an issue).
There is a mod for difficulty, but it relies on starting Cheat Engine( each time) and game works better by imparting youre own restrictions.

Now, my sweet Vendetta…here I come! :p

So a "more rounded view" is saying how lacking it is in every area you mentioned? Mmk. :)

I said the combat is too easy even on Hard, but I suggested using the mod which can make the combat *much* more interesting.

The enemy scaling is an interesting attempt to not have full-blown scaling like Oblivion yet still retain a challenge. The zones will "lock" at a certain level based on which level you enter them at (there is a range of levels that a zone can be and will vary based on your own level).

Clear each area before moving on - yes, absolutely. It's more of a "guided" open-world as I said, not a game where you to run to the end of the map at level 1. Explore each bubble and zone thoroughly.

There are compelling characters and quests. Plenty of great quests, IMO. Of course in a huge game with hundreds of quests and many NPCs you're going to have some less involved quests as well (like every other huge RPG). However, a lot of the content is really great. I'm serious when I say a few of the questlines were some of the best I've played in an RPG like this.

You don't have to avoid crafting, either, since the combat is already not too difficult. Crafting really powerful gear is fun to do. Use the difficulty mod and it will be a lot more necessary to craft and maintain good gear.

You don't have to grind at all, whether for loot or levels. Not sure why you mentioned that. You will find plenty of good loot as well as be able to craft great stuff if you so choose.

iWKad22.jpg

Y'now that's fine. Its the title of this thread that that I was going for mainly. This is a bit different an idea from "what are you playing now".

But now for some sacrilege: for games like Amular and Venitica, are they fun on console?

I played Skyrim on my XBox -esp. since I felt it was designed around console. The only think I missed out on is the mods IMO, which I admit was pretty big.

I have Skyrim on Steam but spent most of my hours playing it on PS3. I much prefers the couch/controller experience for it. I haven't played Amalur on controller but due to the nature of combat and such, I can see it being well suited. Also again to bring up Divinity Original Sin, it's also very well designed for the console crowd.

Fluent I want to give you a big man hug because I love you.

But sometimes I think you're married to the games you play, because you're afraid they'll divorce you if you tell them they look fat.

Facepalm fail. Why would you facepalm when 80% of my post is explaining things in the game?

If you need me to point out flaws to feel better about life than I already said the combat is too easy and suggest using the mod. The combat is fun but it's easy. Crafting is fun but it is not at all necessary and it doesn't really "break the balance" since the game is easy already without crafting and never had a "tight balance" to begin with. The Fate meter filling up so quickly adds to this flaw since the Fate meter lets you murder everything even easier. That's why I suggest using the difficulty mod to enhance the experience.

Every game has flaws but saying the game is lacking in "every area" that Bobo pointed out is just not true to me.

I would have also liked to see some sort of "intelligent" set-finding mechanic in the game. Maybe you could "sacrifice" certain legendary items to receive a piece of a set of your choosing. There are a lot of armor sets in the game but they don't drop often and I don't think anyone would be able to find an entire set (I think I got somewhat close and found 4 out of 5 pieces of one set or so). On the other hand, even though the game is massive and has replayability, you could see a few hundred of the named Legendary items in a single playthrough.

Moving right along, I am replaying TW3. Dam I know this game is good but even better on the replay. Choices do make a difference and being so big of a world there was no way to do the same things in the same order I did the first time.

If you haven't played this game it has to be in the top 2 or 3 games to play.

Because you don't need to keep explaining the same shit over and over. Sometimes you need to just STFU and let the thread move on.

I may have repeated myself some but I was responding to the points Bobo was making. This is a forum after all.

Moving right along I would also recommend Drakensang if you haven't played it yet. Similar to a Baldur's Gate-style of RPG but uses a lovely interpretation of the "The Dark Eye" rules (German D&D, basically).

Moving right along I would also recommend Drakensang if you haven't played it yet. Similar to a Baldur's Gate-style of RPG but uses a lovely interpretation of the "The Dark Eye" rules (German D&D, basically).

Hmm... I would compare it more to (a lighter version of) Dragon Age Origins instead of BG. Some of the party mechanics are quite similar between DAO and the Drakensangs.

As for KoA, I remember playing the demo back in the day and it reminded me a lot of an offline clone of WoW. It did not seem bad but I guess you have to like the particular style. There still is a free demo on Steam so instead of all this arguing back and forth I would suggest to simply see for yourselves whether it's up your alley or not :) .

Isn't Drakensang is a modified version of the NWN2 engine? Obviously with it's own rule system (and perhaps less annoyances? I haven't played my copy yet).

Isn't Drakensang is a modified version of the NWN2 engine? Obviously with it's own rule system (and perhaps less annoyances? I haven't played my copy yet).

No. Drakensang uses the Nebula engine (or click here for the Sourceforge site). The gameplay was considerably less clunky than NWN 2 luckily :) .

Fluent I want to give you a big man hug because I love you.
I'll be the godfather. Or whatever it's called, just call.
Yes, Drakensang is definitely similar to DA:O.
This is wrong. Both games are fantastic, but there is nothing even similar to mother ratzinsky in DA:O nor there are romances in Drakensang.

for games like Amular are they fun on console?

It's excellent on console. I played on the Xbox 360 and it was fully polished, virtually bug-free and controlled excellent with the controller.

Of course, playing on PC would be a better idea, since you could use the mods if you wanted to. I would recommend using a controller even if playing on PC because the combat is fast and furious and controls very well with mushrooms.

Last edited:
for games like Amular are they fun on console? /QUOTE]

It's excellent on console. I played on the Xbox 360 and it was fully polished, virtually bug-free and controlled excellent with the controller.

Of course, playing on PC would be a better idea, since you could use the mods if you wanted to. I would recommend using a controller even if playing on PC because the combat is fast and furious and controls very well with mushrooms.

100% wrong!

Yeah you can. But ya I tried both and preferred KB+mouse. Then again I'm 95% kb+mouse for just about everything.

Off topic but I prefer keyboard + mouse for most stuff, too, but not for games that involve the need for really quick reflexes. There's no way I can play an NBA basketball game on PC without a controller, and I'd probably want to play Reckoning with one as well.

Back
Top Bottom