Elex Elex tips & tricks

Right?
Once you obtain a flamethrower, who cares about faction specific powers and armor, everything dies easily. :)

I'm not saying PB should rework crowdcontrol effects, but perhaps requirements to equip it shoud go more upwards. If not doubled then tripled.

I think the weapons are balanced for "ultra difficulty" the flame thrower doesnt do enough damage at that level to be worth it, i went back to my shotgun after I figured it wasnt enough.

Like the flamethrower says it does 43 damage and my shotgun does like 90.

The flamethrower definitely needs to be nerfed a little. It's the only weapon that has knockback + AOE + status effect. They either need to increase the requirements to use it or make fuel significantly more expensive and harder to find.

Another option would be to decrease the rate of fire and make it use more fuel per shot.

Be sure to explore the land immediately around the Elex tower (via jet pack) in Golieth. Plenty of free goodies.

You mean the Converters? Yeah, they’re definitely worth exploring once you get to the outside platform. Once you’re on that platform, you can fly to the very top of the tower and every Converter has a staircase going down that leads to a table with a ton of goodies. I’ve come across one or two that had perma-herbs and one that had a legendary plasma weapon.

I strongly recommend NOT using Elex potions at all. Since money is no issue with Animal Trophies 3/3 - and there's an infinite supply of Natural Elex - you can essentially max out everything if you want to way before the late game - regardless of level. Well, except for the armor you have to be level 25 to get.

I essentially ruined my own enjoyment by being vastly overpowered at level ~20. Incidentally, I had the EXACT same problem in Risen 3 - but it wasn't as bad because the game was much shorter.

In Elex - it's really no fun to be a god before you finish the very first chapter.

Game is in serious need of better balance - including some kind of Elex potion limitation as well as legendary stat requirements adjustment. Also, the harder enemies REALLY need knockback immunity. I mean, some of the easiest fights were with the hardest enemies because I could stunlock them - and it took no effort.

I know PB games are all stats and not about personal ability - but there's no reason to completely ignore balance like that.

I mean, I found The Redeemer in a place that was way too obvious. A weapon like that should be much better hidden. What's worse is that the requirements are rather mild compared to its ridiculous power.

I didn't realise how big a deal it was until it was too late.

So, I've deleted my savegames and I'm going to be playing it on Ultra with no Elex potions. Not right away, though.

Game is full of flaws and it doesn't have the usual PB ambience when it comes to the world and the immersion. Music is crap and while there's plenty of terrain variety - locations don't seem to stand out much. I did really enjoy the high-tech stuff, though - including the Alb converters and Hort.

Other than that, it really does feel overly generic - and almost every single building found in the wilderness looks like any other.

Exploration is still strong, though - and there's a ton of neat stuff to find, including audio logs and a lot of journals.

What's good about it is very good. The game deserves a proper playthrough - and I'll get around to it eventually.

That said, I have to say I think Fallout 4 Survival does pretty much the same things in a vastly superior way - including exploration. Combat, stealth, itemization, progression, location variety, logs, crafting, upgrading and so forth are ALL much better in FO4.

Elex has the upper hand when it comes to terrain variety and I do enjoy the faction exclusivity - but that's about it.

I disagree about the ambience and immersion being lacking, but I suppose that's subjective. I do think Gothic 1&2 were better though.

You really thought location variety and itemization was better in Fallout 4? I must have played a different game. :)

I thought it was pretty obvious early on that Elex potions could be abused and therefore limited myself to a degree. I never made more than 5 at once and always went a certain amount of time before I'd allow myself to make more.

I played as a Berserker though, and, from what I gather, Cleric is like easy mode by comparison. That class really needs to be nerfed, and it's a shame they didn't do it in the last patch.

I think Beserker is probably a much better choice for a first playthrough.

You really thought location variety and itemization was better in Fallout 4? I must have played a different game.

In a very big way, yes. But I'm mostly talking about indoor locations - which is where Bethsoft games tend to shine.

PB games never had very good dungeons. Also, I found the audio logs and journals underwhelming - where the best FO4 stuff is found by exploring at random.

Elex can't even begin to compare with that, imo. All buildings felt identical to me - more or less. About the only really interesting locations I found were the Alb converters.

In terms of itemization, FO4 has way more variety and loot can almost always get better for your build even after hundreds of hours. In Elex, once you upgrade your main weapon to level 3 or find the appropriate unique - that's pretty much it. Apart from the faction armors - but those are entirely predictable.

That's not to mention the vastly superior modding system in FO4.

Anyway, to each his own. I know you have a very strong fondness for PB games, which is cool. It's actually kinda endearing, because you almost turn into Fluent when it comes to PB ;)

I like their games, too - but balance has been a serious problem since Gothic 3.

I went with Cleric for the first run through and found a couple of the "spells" removed combat as an issue. I also disliked the Hort as a base.

After the longer than normal learning curve I thought the game didn't want you to lump on berserker, I'll definitely go down that route for a second playthrough

I really like the Cleric aesthetic and their weapons and spells appeal to me the most. That said, it's pretty clear that the knockback on their weapons is too powerful - and their spells are incredibly strong.

Then again, all PB games become pushovers at a certain point - because it's strictly about breaking the number barrier. Their systems are so simple that you don't really need to theorycraft or number crunch anything. You just need to hit a certain mark - and nothing will stand in your way.

So, while I suspect Clerics are, indeed, easier overall - it's just a matter of time before you hit that mark no matter what.

It's not the pushover mode in itself that bothers me, though. It's the fact that you stop progressing in interesting ways way too soon if you use Elex potions.

Obviously, I can just not use them - but I've never been a big fan of self-imposed arbitrary limitations. It's the job of the developer to provide a balanced experience.

In that, PB utterly failed here - and created just about the worst and most awkward power curve of all their games.

Even without Elex potions - you're going to be overpowered in at least half the game - unless you deliberately sidestep all the good abilities and don't upgrade your weapons.

Same was true in both Risen 2 and Risen 3 - except you didn't have to wait 10-15 hours before progression started.

In Elex, it's almost like the worst of two worlds combined.

In a very big way, yes. But I'm mostly talking about indoor locations - which is where Bethsoft games tend to shine.

PB games never had very good dungeons. Also, I found the audio logs and journals underwhelming - where the best FO4 stuff is found by exploring at random.

Elex can't even begin to compare with that, imo. All buildings felt identical to me - more or less. About the only really interesting locations I found were the Alb converters.

In terms of itemization, FO4 has way more variety and loot can almost always get better for your build even after hundreds of hours. In Elex, once you upgrade your main weapon to level 3 or find the appropriate unique - that's pretty much it. Apart from the faction armors - but those are entirely predictable.

That's not to mention the vastly superior modding system in FO4.

Anyway, to each his own. I know you have a very strong fondness for PB games, which is cool. It's actually kinda endearing, because you almost turn into Fluent when it comes to PB ;)

I like their games, too - but balance has been a serious problem since Gothic 3.

I guess that's the kind of reply I should have been expecting even down to the little condescending (and ironic) jab you added. You've always strongly defended anything that you perceive as a slight towards Bethesda, but that's ok. :)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the game more on your next try.

I guess that's the kind of reply I should have been expecting even down to the little condescending (and ironic) jab you added. You've always strongly defended anything that you perceive as a slight towards Bethesda, but that's ok. :)

I guess a little jab is all it takes with you ;)

No, we just have different tastes is all. Except I'm pretty sure I see a lot more flaws in Bethsoft games than you do in PB games, which was what the Fluent jab was about.

Not that you'd ever admit being overly forgiving of their flaws.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the game more on your next try.

Thanks!

I actually enjoyed it a lot until it fell apart. Next time, I'll know what not to do :)

I guess a little jab is all it takes with you ;)

No, we just have different tastes is all. Except I'm pretty sure I see a lot more flaws in Bethsoft games than you do in PB games, which was what the Fluent jab was about.

Not that you'd ever admit being overly forgiving of their flaws.

And I guess pointing something out is all it takes with you. ;)

You can simply browse my comments and see plenty of examples of me pointing out flaws, but I suppose that wouldn't work for you because it might lessen the fanboy angle you're so desperately trying to project. :)

But yes, everyone has different taste. Nothing wrong with that.

And I guess pointing something out is all it takes with you. ;)

You can simply browse my comments and see plenty of examples of me pointing out flaws, but I suppose that wouldn't work for you because it might lessen the fanboy angle you're so desperately trying to project. :)

But yes, everyone has different taste. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm talking about recognising flaws, not downplaying or trivialising all of them. Again, the Fluent style of objectivity.

I think the only real flaw you've been able to acknowledge is that the music isn't good ;)

But, now I'm curious. What really significant flaws do you actually see in Elex? As in, not "skill descriptions could be better" - but something bigger than that.

I must have missed you mentioning them before, though I thought I'd read most of your comments on the game.

I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if that's the case!

Exploration is what it's about for me.

A particularly interesting spot is south-central Tavar in the "canyonlands" area. Really cool landscape design there. :)

I'm talking about recognising flaws, not downplaying or trivialising all of them. Again, the Fluent style of objectivity.

So am I. Was there something so hard to understand about what I said? Again, the DArt style of interpretation.

You don't even have to leave this very page to see me criticizing something.

The game has tons of flaws just like almost every open-world RPG does. I could write an entire paragraph about them just like I could about Skyrim, TW3, FO4, etc.

The most significant flaw though, to me, is balance or lack thereof. The difficulty curve is pretty crap. I think it's much worse than Gothic 1&2, and only slightly better than Risen 2&3. Most of the named weapons are underpowered especially considering their requirements, and it's far too easy to abuse the primary resources if you choose to.

I could go on, but there's not much point to. It's a flawed game that I think is better than the sum of its parts just like I think FO4 is also better than the sum of its parts.

So am I. Was there something so hard to understand about what I said? Again, the DArt style of interpretation.

You don't even have to leave this very page to see me criticizing something.

The game has tons of flaws just like almost every open-world RPG does. I could write an entire paragraph about them just like I could about Skyrim, TW3, FO4, etc.

The most significant flaw though, to me, is balance or lack thereof. The difficulty curve is pretty crap. I think it's much worse than Gothic 1&2, and only slightly better than Risen 2&3. Most of the named weapons are underpowered especially considering their requirements, and it's far too easy to abuse the primary resources if you choose to.

I could go on, but there's not much point to. It's a flawed game that I think is better than the sum of its parts just like I think FO4 is also better than the sum of its parts.

That's fair enough. I guess maybe it has been your past wording that had me confused - as you seemed to think the balance issue wasn't that big a deal, and I've only seen you downplay the flaws other people have pointed out.

Thank you for taking the time :)

A particularly interesting spot is south-central Tavar in the "canyonlands" area. Really cool landscape design there. :)

Exploration is also it for me - and Elex is very strong here. But my own favorite kind of exploration is one that ties directly into progression. I can only see so many interesting vistas and samey buildings before I need an upgrade or the sensation of growth.

That's where Elex fell apart too soon.

But, I guess it's mostly down to my playstyle of powergaming. I didn't have to focus that much on becoming powerful - but I honestly felt that's what the game wanted me to do, after that harsh beginning.

I just overdid it a bit.

I really did enjoy it a LOT before I broke the curve - and I'm really impressed by the amount of content they've managed to put in the game.

Lest we forget, they're a small team on a limited budget. Bethsoft have a hundred people working with a much bigger budget - and they can actually afford to hire quality voice actors and what not.

I think my favorite area was the Valley of the Damned in Edan. I found it oppressively creepy in a weird way. :)

I didn't like Tavar too much outside of the large military(?) installation. I thought the landscape was sort of repetive in that region.

I hated Tavar - and avoided it for the most part.

I also enjoyed Valley of the Damned - and Edan was definitely my favorite area. I just don't think I found many places that stood out in a visual sense. I was never really awed by anything.

That said, I wasn't awed by Risen 3 either.

I felt Risen 2 had a powerful "pirate" ambience - and Risen was almost Gothic-level in terms of the care put into the world.

I guess I just don't see the passion and care in Magalan.

Ironically, though, I think the premise and plot details are the most interesting in Elex of all PB games. They really went above and beyond to come up with cool factions and a nice background story.

That's fair enough. I guess maybe it has been your past wording that had me confused - as you seemed to think the balance issue wasn't that big a deal, and I've only seen you downplay the flaws other people have pointed out.

Thank you for taking the time :)

As a Beserker, it wasn't enough to kill the game for me. I think the faction you choose has a significant impact. I noticed balance issues the more I played but not like what you describe. The Clerics seem to be a much easier ride than the Beserkers.

I've seen quite a few people refer to the black hole ability as an instant win mechanism, and I recall Maylander saying that the Cleric's abilities in general seemed stronger than what the Beserkers offered.

Back
Top Bottom