Realms of Arkania HD - Pre-Purchase Now On Steam

I see beautiful cities that appear empty. Maybe it's a 1 for 1 remake as they say, but I think that means little to no NPCs. What will the player be able to do in these 3D cities?
Will be interesting to see what happens with that, and other things...may need to wait for previews/reviews to find out? The Realms of Arkania games were one of the few RPGs in the early/mid 90s that I never did play at the time (or afterwards), so this could be pretty interesting, especially as I'm currently working my way through Drakensang/River of Time.

Barring a horrid reception, I'm pretty much sold. Will wait for patch fixes though as always.

I'm pretty down on preorders lately. I've backed like 25-30 Kickstarter projects, but I haven't backed a single one in a while. Kickstarter and preorder fatigue has officially set in for me.....but....I did preorder this today. Couldn't resist.

Also preordered this, based on the notion that it' a faithful remake at least in terms of the mechanics.

The end of July - beginning of August looks like a great time for gaming. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least four games I'm interested in that are being released within a 2-3 week period. - Realms of Arkania, Shadowrun, Rise of the Triad, and Divinity: Dragon Commander.

Arcania, Arkania, Arcadia, Arkadia, Arcanium, Arkanium, Arcadium, Arkadium... I bet all of these have been used in RPG games at some point. Bland names...

The original german name is "Aventurien" - it is the main continent of the "Das Schwarze Auge" fantasy world. English: "Aventuria"

Arkania was a marketing name introduced by Sirtech.

Okay Hidden, we won't shoot the messenger.
Sirtech's address willya please? :D

Yeah, "Realms of Arkania" was such a generic name. Not that "Aventuria" was such a great name either. And the title of the first game "Sternenschweif" was a one reason why I never played it, because it sounded so childish, fairy-tale like. And I can als understand that they didn't want to use "The black Eye" o_O :D

(Of course the usual translation is now "The dark eye" I guess, but literally "Das Schwarze Auge" is indeed "the black eye" )

And the "Black Eye" appears to be a quite clear ... ahem ... reminder of the Palantír in Middleearth ... ;)

Yeah, "Realms of Arkania" was such a generic name. Not that "Aventuria" was such a great name either. And the title of the first game "Sternenschweif" was a one reason why I never played it, because it sounded so childish, fairy-tale like. And I can als understand that they didn't want to use "The black Eye" o_O :D

(Of course the usual translation is now "The dark eye" I guess, but literally "Das Schwarze Auge" is indeed "the black eye" )

you didn't play a game because of its name? wow and I thought I was picky

I was young and dumb...

The most annoying occurrence was probably when "Gothic 4" was rebranded as "Arcania". In hindsight, at least that helped the Gothic series save face.

I was around before Steam was a thing, around during the real DRM heyday. I find it hilarious kids these days are attacking Steam as oppressive DRM. Stuff like the Shadowrun Returns fiasco sickens me. Starforce and the like are oppressive DRM. The shit Ubisoft pulled with always-on DRM is oppressive. We would have welcomed Steam-level DRM back when we were struggling with DRM that prevented games from working or made your PC unstable and prone to BSOD.

As for Realms, they got my pre-order (20%? Shit yes!) as I played/loved the original games. Still have the CDs and boxes/books from Star Trail and Shadows Over Riva. Can't wait to see the sequels redone! Imagine, if this continues, one day we'll get remakes of the Gold Box games, Wizardry 7, Ultima 7, the Dark Sun games, Darklands... the thought makes me giggly!

The shit Ubisoft pulled with always-on DRM is oppressive.

Steam is for me = "always on DRM".

Yes, here's an offline thing, too, but it always felt tacked on to me, not as "the primary thing" - which you claim should be there for Ubisoft, too.

Steam's "offline mode" never felt for me as if they wanrted it to be there at all - in the first place.

Steam is register your singleplayer game online and then play it offline DRM.
Always online DRM for singleplayer games started as uPlay.

I haven't preordered RoA EE on Steam as if rumors are ture, it'll also be available on GOG. I'm calling it EE because it looks as EE. Yes it's titled as HD, but ppl who bought AoE HD found the same old game with only more resolution options.

Back
Top Bottom