Keith Emerson has died

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor
Another loss. Someone I have always appreciated and enjoyed. Some of Brain Salad Surgery is some of the best music I've heard, even today and the Giger cover - wow!

I never really liked ELP, but I do recognize their importance for progressive rock.

RIP E.

pibbur

I never really listened to them, although I had always planned to buy their "Pictures At An Exhibition" album.

Another loss also insofar that keyboarders are the most underappreciated "class" of musicians due to the rise of hardrock and heavy metal - guitar seems to be more important than ever. At least that's my personal impression. Everyone knows people like the black cylinder hat man - but who knows an excellent keaboarder ?

I never really listened to them, although I had always planned to buy their "Pictures At An Exhibition" album.
I was suprised to see the phrase Pictures At An Exhibition as that is a piano composition by Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky, of which there is a famous orchestration by Maurice Ravel. (Although I prefer the original piano version).

I searched for it on Youtube and it is indeed a cover of several movements of Mussorgsky's work. In case you are interested, here is a link to a perfomance of the piano version.

I'm more hard rock than ELP ever was but their music certainly was innovative and important at the time. I'll cherish the albums that I have forever, rip.

Another loss also insofar that keyboarders are the most underappreciated "class" of musicians due to the rise of hardrock and heavy metal - guitar seems to be more important than ever. At least that's my personal impression. Everyone knows people like the black cylinder hat man - but who knows an excellent keaboarder ?

Well, another well known rock keyboard player is Rick Wakeman (from Yes, and a lot of solo work). Also, Rick Wright of Pink Floyd (RIP). But, yes, they are few and far between.

Well, another well known rock keyboard player is Rick Wakeman (from Yes, and a lot of solo work). Also, Rick Wright of Pink Floyd (RIP). But, yes, they are few and far between.

Since metal was brought up: Don't forget Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater.

But I disagree with the guitar becoming more important. On the contrary. Pop-music of today seems to me to be dominated by synths, admittedly by fairly anonymous musicians. And machines.

Only in rock, the guitar has prevailed as a major instrument.

These are the thoughts of pibbur, who has spoken

For the large majority of the music in the charts, I'd say the primary instrument was the mouse.

Since metal was brought up: Don't forget Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater.

But I disagree with the guitar becoming more important. On the contrary. Pop-music of today seems to me to be dominated by synths, admittedly by fairly anonymous musicians. And machines.

Only in rock, the guitar has prevailed as a major instrument.

These are the thoughts of pibbur, who has spoken

Hail the mighty pibbur !! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom