Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Interview @ Eurogamer

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Eurogamer talked to Daniel Vavra about Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Is it still coming to console?

"We definitely are working on it and it's part of the plan," he says. "Let's say [PC/Mac] should be August or something: consoles are going to be, I don't know, September, for example - not like half-a-year after it. As soon as possible.

"It's on CryEngine so we don't have to port the code. Basically we take the PC version, we run it on the console and it should work, but we maybe optimise the memory," he adds. "A couple of months ago it worked properly, the previous build. It wasn't optimised so the frame-rate was lower but it wasn't a major issue. It's working; it needs some optimisations as always, but I don't think it's that major issue.

Pad controls are already built into the tech alpha that's available to backers. "Currently it plays better with joypad actually," he adds, but with tweaks, the two should be equal.

There's also the potential for virtual reality, as CryEngine supports it and Warhorse, the developer, has an Oculus Rift dev kit. But the tricky issue of motion sickness will need solving first. "We are going to support it," Vavra says. "What I don't know yet is how much work it's going to be or if it's even possible to avoid the motion sickness with the type of game we are making. With, for example, horse riding in first-person, it could cause motion sickness now even without the VR!" Vavra says he suffers motion sickness from VR so it's something he's sensitive to.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

Are you still planning another two Kingdom Come instalments after this?

"Initially we split the game into three [instalments] to go to Kickstarter and be able to do it with the money,” he says. "Over time, as we grew up, somehow even Act One [the first game, Deliverance] is bigger than what we planned; so now it's definitely like 50-hour core gameplay.

"We've partially decided that maybe with Act Two [and] Act Three it would be better to release it as one proper sequel rather than two DLCs or two smaller games. So this is going to be one big game, full-scale RPG, and then we would like to sell another even bigger RPG with the additional two acts together."
Yay! :)

There's an even trickier topic that comes from that historical period that involves animosity, to put it mildly, between Czechs and Germans. "One of the main motives for the game is that the initial scene in the game is about hatred between Czechs and Germans," he says, "and Germans are our major audience basically! There was a really huge aggressiveness between Czechs and Germans because 30 per cent of people living in Bohemia at the time were Germans, and they were the rich guys. There was a movement against Germans; we were one of the first nationalist countries.

"This also sends a very sensitive or controversial topic and I'm a little bit afraid Germans will be like, 'What the f*** - they are making fun of us?' But that's not the point: we try to show it. And writing it, I should be very cautious.
I don't think this will happen. Germans are used to being portraied as the bad guys. ;)

Back
Top Bottom