Skyrim You crashing a lot too?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I haven't experienced any crashes, but I've only played for a few hours (got it today). Performs pretty well, considering I don't have a cutting edge system and a budget, though relatively recent, video card (NV 450 GTS).

The only bug I've encountered wasn't actually a bug. First time I saw snow on a flat surface I assumed the textures were munted, but apparently that is, umm, "normal".

I'm at 20 hours now but I haven't had any crashes so far. Experienced one glitch: The letters got stuck when changing difficulty level so that it became unreadable. But leaving the menu and returning to Options fixed it.

Lots of crashes. For some reason it has been getting worse in the last couple of days. It's the same issue that others are reporting: The game just instantly closes.

It is quite annoying.

I tried putting my INI settings back to vanilla (baseline) and last night had no problems after 4 hours of playing. Course now I don't know if my texture loss glitch was a result of some tweaks or random or just luck I saw none last night. I prefer the tweaks ... but maybe they use more memory. I might look into the larger memory aware link someone posted ... but that sure looks like a lot of work and mucking around in core files.

My tweaks have been forcing vsync off, improved water, shadows to trees and landscape, and wider FOV.

I read somewhere that a lot of the crashes have to do with sound settings.

I am running winxp with a x2-5000 cpu (ancient) + 2gig of ram and a HD6850 with 11.9 drivers and it has never crashed once in over 20 hours of gaming on high detail.

About the dialog problem I think its similar to the general UI problem where the mouse just doesn't work very well. Just like with your inventory its better to use WASD for dialog aswell I feel.

I do use WASD for everything. I'll scroll through the dialogue options with WASD, select an option and it will say something different entirely. Then I'll select it again using the same keys and it will say the correct one. I even ran into a problem where I couldn't scroll to the first option, as if the menu thought I was already at the top, but wasn't. That's a classic programming error where the currently selected variable doesn't match what is being displayed.

I tried putting my INI settings back to vanilla (baseline) and last night had no problems after 4 hours of playing. Course now I don't know if my texture loss glitch was a result of some tweaks or random or just luck I saw none last night.

I haven't tweaked anything and mine still crashes every now and then. Since I'm a compulsive saver I rarely lose more than a couple of minutes progress.

Daniel.

I crashed in my first session. Then I found somewhere that suggested to reduce your sound quality in the Control Panel, which I did. My next 2 sessions (4-6 hours long) no crashes. Not sure if the suggestion fixed the problem or if it's just luck, but try it.

How do you do that using XP and generic "sounds and sudio devices" control panel? I bet it would solve my problems too.

don't know about XP, I have Windows 7 (and so should you!)
It's in the hmm... let me check...
"In Windows 7, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound
You will see your default sound device. Click it, then click properties.
Go to the Advanced Tab, make sure the default format is set to 44.1Khz 16-bit.
Hit Apply/OK, then run Skyrim."

I prefer performance over Windows 7 window dressing... ;)
BTW there is not such control panel in XP. :(
Also, no sound dervice properties, just audio codecs, with no properties for rate and bits.

I haven't tweaked anything and mine still crashes every now and then. Since I'm a compulsive saver I rarely lose more than a couple of minutes progress.

Daniel.

I did some more testing and it appears to be random. I put the tweaks back and had a flawless 2 hours.

However I did some research on the memory limits (2G of Ram) and even though I was pretty reluctant to mess around with the EXE I figured it might be worth that.

So I backed everything up completely, got the tool, and added the flag. Since then I have had no glitches and the whole game is running much faster and smoother .. course I only did this yesterday and played about 3 hours last night ... so need more time. Still there was a noticiable difference in overall speed. I also put every setting on ultra/max and still had a nice FPS.

I am on windows 7 64bit with 8Gigs of Ram and a GTX 480 1.5 MB video card.

I wonder if crashes can be region related? There are days when I have many CTDs and there are some when there is none.

A dozen or so CTD's and maybe 3-4 lockups requiring turning the game off using the task manager. But oddly almost all of the crashes & freezes happened during the first 40 hours of play. Haven't had any in at least 15-20 hours now.

Does this improve frame rate as well? I haven't had any crashes, but I'm running it on High, and the FPS is usually good but sometimes slows down.

Considering all the variables hard to say. I upped my graphic settings with this tweak and my game play improved in speed and quality. So it helped my FPS but who knows how much of that is just the tweak versus the tweak and my computers configuration.

Reading the tons of comments on the tweak indicates some people have had great luck, some people have had problems using it and some said they didn't notice much difference.

I must say something here…
Skyrim so far never crashed on my machine. And it's a pretty old rig with win7 ultimate, but x86 (32-bit) version.

Back
Top Bottom